• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UFOs In Old Paintings In Verona (And Jim Morrison In 16th century)

Piloton.it

Fresh Blood
There is a museum in Verona with some interesting paintings,
For example, two nativity scenes by Liberale da Verona show God projecting his light onto the Son, but graphically they look very similar to... UFOs as they are often described and photographed. Of course we are not at the level of the "Madonna of the UFO" of Florence, or the frescoes of Visoki Decani, but I leave it to you to judge.
Also in the same page you will find "Immortal Jim Morrison", who (of course) is still alive from the 16th century. The proof is in the painting!

You find here (Use right click translate):
http://www.piloton.it/verona/castelvecchio/castelvecchio.html

The UFO images are shown below.
liberale2_medium.jpg

liberale4_medium.jpg

These are probably small depictions of the concept of the 'heavenly vortex', which is a very common motif in old religious paintings and has nothing to do with UFOs.
index.php

Here's a very large depiction of the 'Heavenly Vortex' showing all the massed ranks of angels, saints, denominations, thrones and powers.
vortex.png

A very weird concept indeed, but not connected with UFOs.

The Jim Morrison image is weird. Geezer is bosseyed. So is Jim Morrison.
valenza1_medium.jpg

I've seen it happen a lot - people saying that paintings depict UFOS when it is really an artistic reference to a well known (at the time the picture was painted) religious motif. If it WERE something really weird and unusual (like a UFO), then would the painting not have been remarked on (and recorded as such) at the time it was first displayed? I can't see every attendee of a church which showed a painting of a genuine alien visitation not going on record about it?

But those seeing the painting generally knew their iconography and their bible and knew full well what was depicted. It's only later when the painting has become divorced from its situation and meaning that viewers say 'wow, look at that bloke with wings in the background - this painter was clearly visited by flying aliens'... Or similar.

The right mood is that of AnonyJ (and then I love Nicola Sturgeon!).
I'm sorry I was misunderstood: with my little web page I don't wish to give absolute truths. I have no absolute truths. I don't know what UFOs are. Angels? Extraterrestrials? Forms of Energy? Experimental warplanes?I point out curiosities: then do what you like. I stay with Charles Fort (forgive me for the long copy/paste of "The Book of the Damned"/chapter 16):

"ANGELS.
Hordes upon hordes of them.
Beings massed like the clouds of souls, or the commingling whiffs of spirituality, or the exhalations of souls that Doré pictured so often.
It may be that the Milky Way is a composition of stiff, frozen, finally-static, absolute angels. We shall have data of little Milky Ways, moving swiftly; or data of hosts of angels, not absolute, or still dynamic. I suspect, myself, that the fixed stars are really fixed, and that the minute motions said to have been detected in them are illusions. I think that the fixed stars are absolutes. Their twinkling is only the interpretation by an intermediatist state of them. I think that soon after Leverrier died, a new fixed star was discovered—that, if Dr. Gray had stuck to his story of the thousands of fishes from one pail of water, had written upon it, lectured upon it, taken to street corners, to convince the world that, whether conceivable or not, his explanation was the only true explanation: had thought of nothing but this last thing at night and first thing in the morning—his obituary—another "nova" reported in Monthly Notices.

I think that Milky Ways, of an inferior, or dynamic, order, have often been seen by astronomers. Of course it may be that the phenomena that we shall now consider are not angels at all. We are simply feeling around, trying to find out what we can accept. Some of our data indicate hosts of rotund and complacent tourists in inter-planetary space—but then data of long, lean, hungry ones. I think that there are, out in inter-planetary space Super Tamerlanes, at the head of hosts of celestial ravagers—which have come here and pounced upon civilizations of the past, cleaning them up all but their bones, or temples and monuments—for which later historians have invented exclusionist histories. But if something now has a legal right to us, and can enforce its proprietorship, they've been warned off. It's the way of all exploitation. I should say that we're now under cultivation: that we're conscious of it, but have the impertinence to attribute it all to our own nobler and higher instincts.

Against these notions is the same sense of finality that opposes all advance. It's why we rate acceptance as a better adaptation than belief. Opposing us is the strong belief that, as to interplanetary phenomena, virtually everything has been found out. Sense of finality and illusion of homogeneity. But that what is called advancing knowledge is violation of the sense of blankness.
"

In Fort there were not only facts, but also philosophy:

"Sense of homogeneity, or our positivist illusion of the unknown—and the fate of all positivism.

Astronomy and the academic.

Ethics and the abstract.

The universal attempt to formulate or to regularize—an attempt that can be made only by disregarding or denying.

Or all things disregard or deny that which will eventually invade and destroy them——

Until comes the day when some one thing shall say, and enforce upon Infinitude:

'Thus far shalt thou go: here is absolute demarcation.'

The final utterance:

'There is only I.'
"

Back