• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UFOs & Intelligence: A Timeline

George M. Eberhart has prepared a large and detailed timeline: UFOs and Intelligence: a Timeline...
Whilst not a gambling man, here's a punt.

I'll bet it doesn't emphasise anywhere therein, that Kenneth Arnold categorically explained he never witnessed anything shaped like a saucer.

Whilst not a gambling man, here's a punt.

I'll bet it doesn't emphasise anywhere therein, that Kenneth Arnold categorically explained he never witnessed anything shaped like a saucer.
Hopefully it does. "Flying Saucer" like "Airship" was kind of a catchall term for a variety of different phenomena, from objects that appear to be made of programmable matter to structured craft of all sizes. Arnold's objects are similar to many others, though I wish he would have been more outspoken after all of the incorrect renderings were circulated.
original.jpg

Source:
https://www.theatlantic.com/technol...ntroduced-the-world-to-flying-saucers/372732/

I'll be honest that I don't pore over UFO books or timelines etc. much anymore. I don't need to muster every bit of evidence to convince myself of the UFO reality anymore. Skeptics and believers with no personal experiences of UFOs are like insatiable vacuum cleaners. If you have had an experience yourself that was quite intense, you are full to overflowing with too many feelings and thoughts, and you must relieve the pressure by telling others. Once the pressure is gone, there is not a compelling reason to pursue each case anymore, unless it provides a unique perspective. Again, I am sad for all of those researchers doomed to die without ever seeing one; hopefully that will change, when we are ready.

The names are irrelevant. Things called "flying saucers" have been seen for a very long time; they are not made here.

Hopefully it does. "Flying Saucer" like "Airship" was kind of a catchall term for a variety of different phenomena, from objects that appear to be made of programmable matter to structured craft of all sizes. Arnold's objects are similar to many others, though I wish he would have been more outspoken after all of the incorrect renderings were circulated.
You are gasping at straws in faint hope of survival.

Kenneth Arnold categorically emphasised never having observed anything like a flying saucer:

His utterly misconstrued report is the genesis of flying saucers.

It's chasing rainbows.

The difficulty, as with any heartfelt belief, whether religious or otherwise, is accepting being wrong all along.

There's more to the UFO phenomenon than what couldn't imaginably be a more specious foundation as flying saucers.

I have tried my best to evidence same and I will not allow you to keep steering in the wrong bloody direction. :comphit:

Your passion is something close to my own and the efforts I so recognise.

Should you differ, please sail on and make sure to check out all four corners.

In search of flying saucers, you're just wasting your time, though.

Remove the saucers from your eyes and a whole world of research opportunities appear.

I don't think there is any issue to be had. Doesn't really matter whether they are described as flying saucers or tops or spheres. Looking at the old articles the term "flying saucer" was just the vernacular catchall term for a variety of strange flying objects. Even the Sternenschiff (1850) was mentioned in the article from the '50s as a type of flying saucer (though it didn't have that shape), as were the small discs observed flying up the sides of missiles at White Sands. Often the objects are lenticular or round, but there are plenty of disc or "saucer" sightings too. Arnold mentioned that the objects skipped through the air like a saucer, iirc. This was misconstrued by the media to be a "flying saucer" iirc.
If you read the "airship" reports --sometimes they are just lights flying in formation; "airship" was the catchall term in the 19th century for UFOs.

This object is even referred to as a "disk"; though it doesn't look like a flying saucer it appears to be a real one:

Back