• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ultima M.U.L.E.: Classic Video Games

MrRING

Android Futureman
Thought I'd start a thread about classic video games that we enjoyed way back in the dawn of time, a time when Commadore 64's roamed the land unchallenged for pure computer power.

In any case, M.U.L.E. was a great old game, based in economics on an interstellar planet. I loved the scenes where you got to see your various "Crops" growing...

http://www.worldofmule.net/

Another fun (if hugely annoying game) was the Ultima series of text adventures... it was really annoying when you got into the room that was constantly shaking and no commands would work, and it was maddening pre-mass internet to not know what to do in a given story point. But it was fun:

http://www.uo.com/archive/

And a final game to ruminate upon: Datasoft's Bruce Lee. It was great to play with two people, because the second player played a "Greem Yama", an immortal sumo warrior who could either choose to help Bruce accomplish his mission & fight ninjas, or he could fight against the hero. It was great fun:

http://www.abandonia.com/games/617/download/BruceLee.htm

Anybody else love old video games? Got some recommendations?

I've still got a working Commodore 128 with dozens of original games and all the bits (although I think my 5 1/4" floppy has packed up - insert innuendo here). One of my all-time favourites for the 64/128 was Ghosts 'n' Goblins - classic horizontal-scrolling action! But for anyone who never used an old home computer, the loading time on those cassette-based games would have to be experienced to be believed.

Mind you, when "Out Run" or "Way of the Exploding Fist" finally loaded, it was worth it! Even better were Commodore's cartridge games, which you just plugged into the back of the computer and could play without waiting 10 or 15 minutes.

For all you youngsters, the "64" or "128" stood for the total memory, in kilobytes. My old Vic-20 only had 3k or so of memory, but you could still get pretty good games for it. Tell that to today's programmers, with their minimum half-gigabyte requirements!

Actually, that 128 might be worth something soon - it must be nearly 20 years old. Shit, that means I must be really getting on. 37? You're joking? Bugger.

128, ha I laugh at that, I had a ZX81 with 1kb of memory, I then upgraded to the Spectrum that had a whopping 48K.

Oddly the games are still entertaining, even if they have all the depth of a Kraft single and look awful, they have a certain something that modern games lack. I figure if you paint developers into a corner resources wise they get creative.

Am I right in saying that you could get a 1k chess game for the ZX81? Mind you, I suspect that even I could beat a 1k game at chess.

Clearing out some drawers the other day, I found a PacMan2 (some sort of copyright-skirting name, I reckon) tabletop electronic game in its original box, still in working order. The gamplay is fun in a very retro kind of way, but laughably crude with its red LEDs and single-tone electronic bleeps. I remember getting it for Christmas sometime around 1980, and that it cost something ridiculous like £30. Probably not worth that now.

I also have a Nintendo Game and Watch "Octopus" game, also in its box, also working. Anyone else remember this forerunner to the Gameboy? Aaah, nostalgia. It's not what it was.

Peripart said:
Am I right in saying that you could get a 1k chess game for the ZX81? Mind you, I suspect that even I could beat a 1k game at chess.

That was about all it had. But as a door-stop or beer mat it excelled.

I had a word processor for my Spectrum called Tasword, it even had a dictionary and a spell check, which sounds marvellous until you you spell checked a document and it simply highlighted every word and asked you each time 'Is this word spelt correctly?'. High Tech! :roll:

Anybody else love old video games? Got some recommendations?

Try Wizball for the Commodore 64. Another favourite was Bubble-Bobble. Sadly the remakes of the old games seem to miss the point, like a lot of modern games it becomes a case of style over substance.

Bubble-Bobble was a bitch. We still have tons of those old nintendo games.
One we could never beat was Low G-Man.

Might be 11th hourish, but I'm trying to track down a CD based children's game call "Forest Friends", which we had in the 2004-2006 time-frame.

Anybody know anything or suggest where I might look?

Might be 11th hourish, but I'm trying to track down a CD based children's game call "Forest Friends", which we had in the 2004-2006 time-frame.

Anybody know anything or suggest where I might look?
Ebay? .. I'll have a look ..

The Internet is not helping me...
Me neither. Is it a kids board game that you play music and or instructions from a CD or is it a CD rom kids computer game?

Me neither. Is it a kids board game that you play music and or instructions from a CD or is it a CD rom kids computer game?

CD Rom Kids Computer game. It was a kind of nature trail, with animated animals and things to explore. Beautifully rendered for it's time.

If you can't find your game here, post this again under the new board and I'll see what I can find:

https://www.igdb.com/search?utf8=✓&type=1&q=forest friends
Will do, thank you.

Back