• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Unconvention 2002

drjbrennan

Ephemeral Spectre
I know its a bit early to talk about this, but is there any support for the idea of meeting up at the Unconvention next year?

While I'm at it , wouldn't this forum be a worthy subject for a speaker to talk about at the Uncon?

Good idea - the more we can plan the better IMO. As yet I don't really have any idea whether I can make it - I'll know in the new year, but I'm sure at least a few of us can make it, take a few photos, write a few reports and dish the dirt on the booze up's ;)

Someone can put it up on the FT web space in some sort of "Uncon 2002 report" so those who couldn't make it can see what they missed out on :D

I also think that the forum would be a great subject! Do you think they would let someone here talk about it, or would they only allow some sort of Professional web fortean?

schnor said:
I also think that the forum would be a great subject! Do you think they would let someone here talk about it, or would they only allow some sort of Professional web fortean?
Keep it in the family, I say! If not one of us, then a member of FT's staff. We don't want some outsider getting kudos from our stories!

If you want to do something at UnCon, now is the time to shout - let Mark Pilkington know and he'll see what canbe done. As for meeting up, the forteana email list usually fetch up in the Ironmongers near Tate Bankside on the friday evening for an UnDrinking - might be good opportunity for the two fora to meet up.

I've been asked by my cousin, the Travel Columnist for a national saturday newspaper, to write a brief (75 word) recomendation for somewhere to go or something to do in 2002.

Well Uncon was the first thing that popped into my head but I can't find the sort of info I need for the 'article' (then again I'm not sure what I need at all)

Any suggestions?

Niles

I'll be at Uncon in 2002. If the Uncon organisers can free up some spare closet area for the FT MessageBoarders, posters could meet there. Either that, or everyone could perhaps wear an avatar badge or something - else how would we all recognise one another?

Count me in. I would love to know if we all look like geeks or gods.............:)

I'd love to come, although it's a long way and the transport wont be cheap. I'll be there if I can posibly manage it.

Even if there's no space at the Unconvention itself surely one of the London boarders can scope out a good local pub for us all to meet up in. I also love the idea of badges.

Cujo

Everyone'd recognise me and James - as long as we had a blue background/purple head respectively

I'm tempted... A better pub to the ironmongers (I think I know the one) is the fourrier's arms (?) right next to the tate modern (but that's personal preference - follow the Forteans!). I also know a Lateshopper fairly nearby, so we can all buy special brew and cause chaos around the 2nd hand book market looking for Von Daniken and David Icke books...

(yes, about 18months ago I located a LateShopper on the South Bank)

If FT ran a limited reduced guest list price for MB members it'd be great too :D

Could be fun...

No avatar badges though... fancy dress, maybe...

This thread begins to resemble one of those documentary films where they follow a group of people from all over the U.K who are preparing to converge on a meeting for a common purpose,such as a ballroom dancing championships in Blackpool Tower Ballroom: or a meeting of The Sealed Knot.

Oooooooooh, bags me being the annoying cheerful one who gets a spin off series despite having no discernable talent..........ah, stardom beckons............;)

Uncon 2002 sounds like a good idea to me.

I too would like to see if we look like geeks or gods, Blueswidow.

However, identification may be a problem. I can not even begin to fathom what everyone looks like.

Some sort of self description on the forum would help. What do you think?

Okay, I'll go first:

(swallows dryly, wipes sweat from brow)

Shaved head, tattoos (yes, I'm being honest) glasses, George Michael style designer stubble.

There, that wasn't too difficult.

Next............!

Right. I'm the 6ft 6 tanned body builder getting out of a ferrari with several large gold chains hanging around my neck, with my brazilian girlfriend hanging off my right arm.

Well, almost - but chop off 8 inches, remove the tan, some muscle, gold chains, brazilian girlfriend, and also substitute the ferrari for a fiat uno - yes, that's better - you can almost picture me!

:blah:

Or we could use those little spazzy name tags? You know the ones - duuuuuh, my name is schnor :p

Well, I'd certainly love to go, but:

1. I'd have to get a passport.
2. The airlines may be out of business by then.
3. Never been overseas, and I'm...a..a...aff..ffraid to.
4. Oh the lack of fundages!
5. I don't know where it is or how to get there.

Though I'd really like to make it. <sigh>

Hows about in 2003 we have it at my place?

uncon 2002

:D I think meeting up would be a great idea, how would we all recognise eachother? I think updates on here are a good idea too.

What do I look like......Well......a few years back people used to say I looked like Kate Bush, now I probably look like I've been dragged through a bush..........;)

I was involved in a bizarre chain of events that led me to putting my picture on hotornot.com... and got 8.7 :)

but b4 I changed my pic, my score was 2 :(

So even if I describe myself, my appearance is obviously VERY unpredictable!

Me...?

I'm just shy of six foot, about 16 stones. Blond hair, blue eyes and a predespisition to wearing black.

I've been told that I'm not unattractive, but I seem to be nobody's type :(

Anyhoo

Niles

physical appearance?

I have two eyes and a nose. I also have two legs. There is hair on my head, and I am usually seen wearing clothes. All this considered, I just don't understand why more chicks don't dig me. It's a mystery I tell you.

Here's a scary idea - if we all have pix available, they could be set up on one of our websites, on a page unavailable by link (and the URL PM'd or e-mailed to those in discussion on this thread)?

I have a site, and could do it, given some allowance of time (I'm studying for exams right now - well, not right now ), but if anyone can get there sooner, be my guest. What do you think?

PS >mike_legs: you just hop on a plane and say "FT Uncon, London, England."

In the 60s, I was told I looked like the lead singer in Unit four + two ( a one hit wonder band - was their hit called 'Tobacco Road'? No doubt someone will tell me.)

I was just wondering how a successful meeting of the MessageBoarders might affect future board interactions: will it mean we become even more friendly and informal, all jumping to buy webcams, and the like to stay on visual terms....or will we all recoil with "I didn't know they would be like that" kind of stuff? and become more distant and formal after? Or pretty much just the same? What do you think?

It's a most intimidating prospect indeed.
I would suggest that if pictures were to be gathered on a website that they should be posted anonymously to retain a sense of mystery for the time being. I like that aspect of this form of contact.

I do want to meet you all at the Unconvention but I agree that all of us meeting in the flesh might have weird side effects. We probably all have mental pictures of one annother weather we realise it or not.

For example if I hadn't told you all I was female you might assume from my nickname that I'm male. What would you think of me if you thought I was a man?

Cujo

I'm not sure if I will be going or not yet :(

As for the meeting bit (if I do go) I have met 2 people who I have talked to online, it wasn't good (they are 2 of my ex's). Not that I am saying it is a bad thing to meet up. My best friend met his online g/f not long ago and now he visits her all the time.

luce

As an experienced web person-meeter, I'd say it depends on the nature of the relationship. Unfortunately, the chance of a relationship improving is very slim, even for a very casual type relationships. The problem goes something like this:

1. When we're typing, we can think about what we say. Conversations in real life are SOOO different.

2. People have all these little annoying quirks, that just bug the hell out of other people. The worst in my opinion is the 'Small Space Bubble' phenomenon. When people talk to me they need to be at least a few inches away from my face. You know who you are.

3. Antipication of physical appearance. I cannot quite put my finger on it, but people get REALLY weird about anticipating other people's physical appearances. Then when you meet the person, they never look anything like you imagine, or not quite like the picture, and it does something to you mentally. Like I said, I cannot put my finger on it.

So, though I doubt I'll be able to make it... you can improve your chances by:

1. Use good judgement, and don't open your mouth too quickly.

2. Use good manners. Don't spit in people's faces. Don't chew like a cow. Don't talk or laugh obscenely loud (don't worry, this all comes later, after you get used to each other).

3. This is the tough one. Absolutely do not anticipate physical appearance. You are who you are. Who cares?

Ok, that looks like it went way too long and off the subject so you're all probably bored by now. But if it makes you feel any better I've IRL made friends of folks who have ALL the annoying traits AND open their mouth before their brain gets cranking. I'm sure I do it myself often enough.

Back