• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Underworld Entrance Found?

Sertile

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I've already attempted a shaver thread in Fortean Culture, but that was basically ignored so I thought I'd try again.

[Emp edit: There was another Shaver thread so I have merged that post with the earlier one and the Shaver Mystery thread can be found here:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2372 ]

It's come to my attention that after Richard Shaver's (of the Shaver Mysteries) death, some of his disciples sought out the entrance to his underworld and, apparently, found it right under my nose.

http://www.angelfire.com/ut/branton/cushman.html

According to that and several other resources (which probably aren't terribly respectable), the entrance to the underworld WAS found some time ago in the small town of Cushman, Arkansas, specifically in a place known as the "Blowing Cave." Well guess what? I've found the cave, and it's isn't too far away. I'm planning an expedition in about three weeks to see if I can verify any of their story.

I'm not expecting to find anything, and if I DID find a subterranean culture there I would probably wouldn't tell anyone about it, but wish me luck nonetheless.

Sertile said:
I'm not expecting to find anything, and if I DID find a subterranean culture there I would probably wouldn't tell anyone about it, but wish me luck nonetheless.

Aw go on! Tell us if you do - or even write an article for FT if you don't! They've had articles about not finding things before now.

I'd love to write an article for FT! I've done stuff like this before. How do you submit an article? Do you have to be a professional writer?

Sertile said:
I'd love to write an article for FT! I've done stuff like this before. How do you submit an article? Do you have to be a professional writer?

Email the mangement with your ideas and they'll let you know.

Emps

Oops! I guess I forgot to mention that I wasn't planning my cave assault for another two weeks. I'm sorry to keep everyone in suspense. I'd love to be down there right now, I just don't have the time. I'll try to do some recon around the town while I'm at it - see if i can get any interesting stories or legends out of the townsfolk. I'll report back as soon as possible!

I always thought the entrance to the underworld was to be found somewhere in the Campe Flegrei near Naples.

Underworld assault

I regret to inform you all that my first expedition to the rumored Arkansas underground has ended in a momentous failure. According to legend, tragedy befalls most who attempt to enter the Blowing Cave, and the rest seldom return. True to form, my car was destroyed in an unusual accident about 3/4 of the way to my destination. I'll not be deterred that easily, and I'm planning another attempt for the near future, but it may be a while before I have anything fit to drive at great lengths. Sorry for the tease.

he must have been hit by a train or soemthing. what could destroy a car while on the way to somewhere?

A fire? A drunk driver? Collision with a moose? A toppling tree? Mothman?

hands up who thinks i am a wanker?

SURELY he can't think we will believe him when he says that he is going on this expedition to find a lost secret underground city...only to say that he didn't go because his car was destroyed 3/4 of the way there???!!!

come on sertile. give us the whole story.

did the deros attack with a death ray?

guttersnipe said:

You won't be laughing when we have photos of giant lizards posted on the message boared!

Give Sertile a chance. I wan't to see what is (or isn't) down there.

Leaferne said:
A fire? A drunk driver? Collision with a moose? A toppling tree? Mothman?

A moose in the Ozarks would be most fortean!

Knowing southern Missouri/northern Arkansas a little, I'm guessing the cave has been converted into somebody's crystal methamphetimine lab, anyway. :eek: ;)

guttersnipe said:

{Raises hand to guttersnipe's second question} ;)

I agree with Austen. (Though maybe not entirely with the photos of the giant lizards part. I'd only be laughing if they were snapped in Buckingham Palace or the White House.) :)

i am giving him a chance! how beleiveable is it though....ok guys, i've found the entrance to an underground city....but when i went to check it out my car was 'destroyed' en-route.

it just sounds like bullshit to me.

but, you never know!

come on sertile, give us some more details.

Come on Sertie. What's the latest? We are all very concerned. Is is a Dero inspired mind-control thing? Or have the Teros offered you sanctuary?
:hmph:

There must be something down this hole, if only old mine workings. I doubt there are any huge underground cities though.

I hope Sertile hasn't gone back then got trapped down there! You'll feel very guilty Guttersnope if, even now he is pinned beneath a rock fall and only we know where he is...

Alright people, first of all I didn't find this underground city, I just read about it. I like to travel the area in my free time and see if I can verify certain things... that said, I don't expect to find anything in particular, but I feel like it's worth checking out. There's a lot of legends in this part of the country having to do with caves, and most of them are based on an actual location. However, those places aren't always easy to find (or get to).

The thing is, I know exactly where the Blowing Cave's at. That's what drives me crazy! I know how to get there, I just can't manage to do it (so far,anyway...) The town, Cushman, is only about 150 miles from here, but it takes at least four hours to make it that far in the winding, hilly roads of northern Arkansas.

The wreck wasn't that spectacular. Some lady pulled out in front of me in some pissant town called Leslie and I wasn't able to stop in time. I couldn't have been going over 20mph, but I was driving a Ford Focus and those things are just made to fold up. The insurance people tell me it's going to be a total loss, and I'm probably not going to be making any trips for a while at least. I might try and get a ride with someone, but it'll be at least another couple of weeks. Maybe a month or more.

There's supposed to be a lot more going on in Cushman, AR than just an underground civilization. The place is reputed to be a Fortean hotspot, complete with EM phenomena, hairy humanoids, giant insects, and other such monstrocities. I'll try and do some ethnographic research with the townspeople if I ever make it down there. Right now I feel like the Deros really have zapped me, and my spot of bad luck is also going to mean I'm without internet access for the next few months, except for the occasional trips to the local library. Anyway, thanks for the interest!

Glad you're OK, Sertile. According to a tow truck driver I know, the Ford Focus is his profession's favourite car. :eek:

Back