• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Unusual results of knee surgery. - Occult and Wholistic

A

ARRRRRRRRGH

Since keyhole surgery on my knee, I've noticed that some things have improved that I did not expect:

1. A sense of wholeness.
A strance sense that there was something missing
that has returned.
... Inner peace?

2. A return of a sense of the magical.
For a long time I have been casually interesed in the magical.
In the last 2 years before my knee operation I had been investigating
magick more closely.
And... realising that a sense of the magical in me was no longer present.
And... now 3 months after the op it's here again... as it was.

It turned out that my anterior cruciate ligament was broken, and that
one of the menisci was torn. They fixed the ligament with a graft from a tendon, and patched up the meniscus.
(If you don't understand the terms, google for them!)

The question is why?
Here are my
(Most scientific first)

1. Effect of the general anesthetic, or painkillers

2. Cabin fever
I'm not getting out much :-(

3. Lack of pain.
While my knee before the operation wasn't painful,
I suspect that I don't feel pain correctly.
I suspect an ordinary person would have had chronic
pain with the history I had. I didn't, although
my attention span may have decreased.

4. Chi flow , Meridians/acupuncture.
I have heard it proposed that the Meridians of
acpuncture are related to bands of cartilage running
through our bodies. Being that my ligament was broken
the meridian/chi flow would be broken.

5. Posture/Muscle tone
Having a broken ligament affect posture/muscle tone.
Of couse this could relate to Chi type stuff,
and of course posture is imprtant in Yoga, which
has Magickal connections.

I suspect there's something in 4 and possibly 5,
but don't know much about either.

Opinions please!!

1. A sense of wholeness.
A strance sense that there was something missing
that has returned.
... Inner peace?

2. A return of a sense of the magical.
For a long time I have been casually interesed in the magical.
In the last 2 years before my knee operation I had been investigating
magick more closely.
And... realising that a sense of the magical in me was no longer present.
And... now 3 months after the op it's here again... as it was.

Q/A 1. What kind of painkillers are those? ;) Sounds like fun.

Q/A 2. Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with the knee surgery. It could be that with being cooped up in the house for awhile, you tried to think of something to break up the monotony. Remembering your prior interest in magic might have done the job?

Krobone said:
Q/A 1. What kind of painkillers are those? ;) Sounds like fun.
Morphine followed by Tramadol, but the general anesthetic is more likely to be the cause, as I beleive I've heard that it can cause minor nurological damage (I can't find any info on this, apart from the cases where the anesthitist looses control, and the patient receives severe nerological damage ... Any references, anyone?)
Regarding Tramadol, I did have some unpeasant psyhological side-effects but it's 2 months since I took any. (If you go to the vaults of erowid, you will find some disturbing reports from druggies looking for opiate highs. Not to be recommended (And I think that opiate highs are intrinsically bad))

Krobone said:
Q/A 2. Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with the knee surgery. It could be that with being cooped up in the house for awhile, you tried to think of something to break up the monotony. Remembering your prior interest in magic might have done the job?
Bear in mind that most thinking on the magickal nature was prior to the
operation. Since the operation I have not been conducting any kind of exploration or investigation since the op, but felt a return of some "intuitions" about the nature of things. It is possible, but from the inside of my brain it looks rather inplausible.

Perhaps it's simply that before you had an unconsious awareness that something wasn't right with your body. You knew that you "weren't whole". Now that's gone.

off topic, but anyway...

was the procedure the "patellar slice"?
i have the same injury, and have had it for 7 years now. the pain comes and goes, but when it hits it's nearly unbearable. i just can't bring myself to go through with that specific procedure...

anyway, yeah. back on topic...
you knew something wasn't right inside your body, but it's fixed and healing.
maybe it's a sense that you'll be able to get out and do things the injury has kept you from in the past.

I'm sure I read an account (probably in a Colin Wilson book) of someone (? a student of Crowley?) having their magical awareness awakened by being stuck in a small room with very limited sensory input on a very limited diet for several weeks. Maybe it is partly a consequence of being shut in...

I've had wisdom tooth trouble for about 4 years, and it was driving me insance (both on the same side). I had them out a few months ago, and even though they were sore the day after, it still felt as if the pressure in my head was gone. No more morning headaches, no more ear infections, not feeling so tired.. All from having two teeth out.

I'm thinking along the same lines as Cujo. After you've lived with something for so long that it doesn't feel unusual, it can make you feel very unusual (in a good way) to have it seen to so it isn't a problem anymore. Just enjoy the new sensations :p

Back