• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

US plans giant space mirrors to reverse global warning

nataraja

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
http://environment.guardian.co.uk/clima ... 68,00.html

US answer to global warming: smoke and giant space mirrors

Washington urges scientists to develop ways to reflect sunlight as 'insurance'

David Adam, environment correspondent
Saturday January 27, 2007
The Guardian

The US government wants the world's scientists to develop technology to block sunlight as a last-ditch way to halt global warming, the Guardian has learned. It says research into techniques such as giant mirrors in space or reflective dust pumped into the atmosphere would be "important insurance" against rising emissions, and has lobbied for such a strategy to be recommended by a major UN report on climate change, the first part of which will be published on Friday.

The US has also attempted to steer the UN report, prepared by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), away from conclusions that would support a new worldwide climate treaty based on binding targets to reduce emissions - as sought by Tony Blair. It has demanded a draft of the report be changed to emphasise the benefits of voluntary agreements and to include criticisms of the Kyoto Protocol, the existing treaty which the US administration opposes.

The final IPCC report, written by experts from across the world, will underpin international negotiations to devise a new emissions treaty to succeed Kyoto, the first phase of which expires in 2012. World governments were given a draft of the report last year and invited to comment.

The US response, a copy of which has been obtained by the Guardian, says the idea of interfering with sunlight should be included in the summary for policymakers, the prominent chapter at the front of each IPCC report. It says: "Modifying solar radiance may be an important strategy if mitigation of emissions fails. Doing the R&D to estimate the consequences of applying such a strategy is important insurance that should be taken out. This is a very important possibility that should be considered."

Scientists have previously estimated that reflecting less than 1% of sunlight back into space could compensate for the warming generated by all greenhouse gases emitted since the industrial revolution. Possible techniques include putting a giant screen into orbit, thousands of tiny, shiny balloons, or microscopic sulphate droplets pumped into the high atmosphere to mimic the cooling effects of a volcanic eruption. The IPCC draft said such ideas were "speculative, uncosted and with potential unknown side-effects".

The US submission is based on the views of dozens of government officials and is accompanied by a letter signed by Harlan Watson, senior climate negotiator at the US state department. It complains the IPCC draft report is "Kyoto-centric" and it wants to include the work of economists who have reported "the degree to which the Kyoto framework is found wanting". It takes issue with a statement that "one weakness of the [Kyoto] protocol, however, is its non-ratificiation by some significant greenhouse gas emitters" and asks: "Is this the only weakness worth mentioning? Are there others?"

It also insists the wording on the ineffectiveness of voluntary agreements be altered to include "a number of them have had significant impacts" and complains that overall "the report tends to overstate or focus on the negative effects of climate change." It also wants more emphasis on responsibilities of the developing world.

The IPCC report is made up of three sections. The first, on the science of climate change, will be launched on Friday. Sections on the impact and mitigation of climate change - in which the US wants to include references to the sun-blocking technology - will follow later this year.

The likely contents of the report have been an open secret since the Bush administration posted its draft copy on the internet in April. Next week's science report will say there is a 90% chance that human activity is warming the planet, and that global average temperatures will rise another 1.5C to 5.8C this century depending on emissions. The US response shows it accepts these statements, but it disagrees with a more tentative conclusion that rising temperatures have made hurricanes more powerful.

I'm sure i remember hearing something about the Soviets attempting to use giant space mirrors, but for the opposite purpose - to gain extra heat sand light in cold northern areas, in order to increase the growing season... no idea whether they actually did it, tho...

Is this at all likely to work?

great shoot a lot of muck in the sky carefullu calculated top do the job then there's a volcanic explosion and we are all stuffed! :oops: Great solution. And yes, I read of large mirrors in space to focus energy on a locality.

The Americans are also planning to place geostationary bananas over Texas...

banthing.jpg

Geostationary Banana Over Texas is an art intervention that involves placing a gigantic banana over the Texas sky. This object will float between the high atmosphere and Earth's low orbit, being visible only from the state of Texas and its surroundings. From the ground the banana will be clearly recognizable and visible day and night; it will stay up for approximately one month.

Link

brianellwood said:
... And yes, I read of large mirrors in space to focus energy on a locality.
Dual purpose. Shade for the good, fire from heaven for the bad.

:shock:
These people are DANGEROUSLY INSANE

I mean, straightjackets and heavily controlling drugs needed INSANE
:shock:

after reading that first post a song jumps to mind

'its the end of the world as we know it"

Only in America !

All three techniques will affect the climate; it may be necessary to use one or more of them if the global warming thing gets too bad.

I don't much like the idea of sulphur particles being added to our atmosphere but at least the method is replicating something which happens naturally every time we get global cooling from a major volcano.

The sunshade in orbit idea is quite an old one; I've described it on this board a few times before. You place a shade, or a swarm of shading objects, in the L1 lagrange point. This would work; no doubts about it.
But the end result would not be the same as it is now; what we would have would be a planet with the same global temperature as today (or cooler if necessary) but more CO2, so climate and weather patterns (and perhaps plant growth) would all be different in an unpredictable way).

The silver balloons would be cheaper, but we would either run out of helium quite quickly, or use hydrogen-filled balloons. I can see some problems there... And once again the climate would be subtly, or perhaps not so subtly, different.

mr burns would love it

Yes, for years man has strived to destroy the sun. Now the US will do the next best thing...BLOCK IT OUT!

Excuse me while I clean up the wee puddle that was produced after reading this crap. Seriously, shouldn't the effort it would take to do this be concerntrated on reducing global emissions.

It says research into techniques such as giant mirrors in space or reflective dust pumped into the atmosphere would be "important insurance" against rising emissions

Or, heaven forbid, emissions are actually reduced. I mean isn't that what's needed FFS. There's no point having a updated and renamed Kyoto Protocol if ALL main carbon producing countries don't sign it. International law should inforce it.

Modifying solar radiance may be an important strategy if mitigation of emissions fails

Hello, it can't fail! Although I feel it probably will :(

it just sounds like a plot from a bad sci-fi movie, like "the Core". Next thing you know they will try to artificially make volcanoes erupt to make for "natural cooling". I think We shoudl try to reduce emmisions and live greener and basically try not to mess with Mother Nature to much. There are just to many variables and to many ways to REALLY screw things up.

Don't worry

There is no point worrying about global warming, it is not a concern.

Look:

Sun's fickle heart may leave us cold
25 January 2007
From New Scientist Print Edition
Stuart Clark

There's a dimmer switch inside the sun that causes its brightness to rise and fall on timescales of around 100,000 years - exactly the same period as between ice ages on Earth. So says a physicist who has created a computer model of our star's core....

...Ehrlich's model shows that whilst most of these oscillations cancel each other out, some reinforce one another and become long-lived temperature variations. The favoured frequencies allow the sun's core temperature to oscillate around its average temperature of 13.6 million kelvin in cycles lasting either 100,000 or 41,000 years. Ehrlich says that random interactions within the sun's magnetic field could flip the fluctuations from one cycle length to the other.

These two timescales are instantly recognisable to anyone familiar with Earth's ice ages: for the past million years, ice ages have occurred roughly every 100,000 years. Before that, they occurred roughly every 41,000 years.

Source

Back