• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

V for Vendetta

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Soooooooo Alan Moore retires but it seems the Wachowski brothers might be going to use their stroke from the Matrix films to make the V for Vendetta film.

The Alan Moore fan site is down at the moment:

http://www.alanmoorefansite.com

but they have this on it:

Whatever happened to the V For Vendetta Film?

If you're referring to the film based on the script by Andy and Larry Wachowski (The Matrix) — that film has not been optioned, so nothing's happened as yet.

However, a film based on the series V For Vendetta entitled "V" by Mark Tinkler was shown at the Birmingham Comic Art Convention in 1984. Tinkler, a student of the Middlesex Postgraduate Course in Film and Television Studies had asked the creators of the strip, Alan Moore and David Llyod for permission to use the story as his video project, to which they agreed and even offered advice. The film was a mixture of live action and illustration and the storyline was modified, with Evey being interrogated for an edited propaganda tv news item, while V secretly films the full, true version.

Additionally, in February 2001, there was a stage production of the series by the Swedish troupe, Stockholm's Blodbath.

http://www.alanmoorefansite.com/faq/vfvfilm.html

but see:

http://www.screenwritersutopia.com/script_reviews/v_for_vendetta.html

http://darkworlds.com/ls/art_12073.html

http://www.comics2film.com/ProjectFrame.php?f_id=444
http://www.comics2film.com/c2fu-z.shtml#VVendetta

What's next?

Like everything else about the brothers, their future is shrouded in mystery. Two Wachowski scripts are floating around Hollywood. One, a fanciful retelling of the Guy Fawkes story set in a postapocalyptic Britain, is an adaptation of V for Vendetta, the graphic novel by Alan Moore and David Lloyd. The other, Plastic Man, is based on the old DC Comics character. Plastic Man has long been rumored to be the Wachowskis' next film, but, of course, there's no official word.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.11/matrix.html?pg=2&topic=&topic_set=

Interbiew with Joel Silver:

Joel: Well, they wrote a script for me for V for Vendetta, which is this great Alan Moore comic book - years ago - and they've talked about producing it with me and bringing somebody in to direct it that they like. I mean, they're fantastic guys. They're going to take some time off now. I lived with the movie for seven years - they lived with it for ten, so they beat me by three. But, they're pretty burned out from the whole process, but whatever they want to do it'll be great. They're passionate about their art, but their art is commercial, so it's a miracle that you have two people there that have a chance to make something so special for themselves that is in touch with so many people. I'd love to work with them forever, whatever they want to do.

http://www.chud.com/news/nov03/nov2joel.php3

Soooooooooo don't hold your breath but........

V sites:

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/5768/Vendetta/

http://theory.lcs.mit.edu/~wald/v-for-vendetta-index.html

---------
Casting has already begun on the Watchmen movie too (pos. worth another thread?):

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=16405

and also:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=13607

Emps

It would be interesting to see how this sort of film would work. The comic was uniquely and bleakly British, and so they would have to put that all across well in any film - otherwise it would make everything too glam. If it gets given any sort of Matrix-style pizzazz, it would fall flat on it's bum IMHO. The story isn't an action story by any means - it's more of a political story than anything else. I wonder how this would translate to the big screen, especially for American audiences.

And I hope David J gets to do the soundtrack, because he made a good job of the V-themed songs he made awhile back :)

I absolutely adore this book. My personal fave of Moore's work. Don't know how well it would transfer to the screen though.

:cool:

JerryB said:
If it gets given any sort of Matrix-style pizzazz, it would fall flat on it's bum IMHO. The story isn't an action story by any means - it's more of a political story than anything else.

I'm hoping they use it as an excuse to demonstrate that they can also slow things down and still deliver a powerful story.

~crosses fingers~

Emps

However, a film based on the series V For Vendetta entitled "V" by Mark Tinkler was shown at the Birmingham Comic Art Convention in 1984. Tinkler, a student of the Middlesex Postgraduate Course in Film and Television Studies had asked the creators of the strip, Alan Moore and David Llyod for permission to use the story as his video project, to which they agreed and even offered advice. The film was a mixture of live action and illustration and the storyline was modified, with Evey being interrogated for an edited propaganda tv news item, while V secretly films the full, true version.

Has anybody ever seen this short?

I think the big problem is going to be the end.

Sort of Spoiler

They are bound to insist on knowing who V is. Funnily enough, I've just reread the Graphic Novel last week, and it is one of Moore's best works.
I think one of the main reasons it does work, is because we do not know who V is, and more than that, who he is is not important, but the movie, if it is ever made, will need a nicely tied up ending...

By the way, I met David Lloyd at a convention recently, and he drew me a nice scketch of V. Lovely man he is, too.

Nightmare scenario: not only do the producers insist that we find out who V is, we discover he's Evey's dad after all!!

I loved "V" as well as "The Watchmen" but why not film "Luther Arkwright" too? After "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" was butchered, however, I'm not sure I want a favourite run through Tinseltown's Story Adjustment and Shredding gizmo.

After filmakers grabbed Marvel & Stan Lee superheroes, Blade, Batman etc.etc. the Hollywood machine are feeding off the comic - superhero fanbase without mercy. When will they stop???
:cross eye

Thinking about all of this some more, it strikes me that the plot line is not condusive to yer run-of-the-mill flick. First of all, it's strongly political. Secondly, it features what could be seen as 'terrorism'. Thirdly, V himself may be gay (and perhaps this explains his internment at Larkhill. Fourthly, there is one long section that deals with the memories of a lesbian actress before and after the war. And lastly, there are very strong overtones between Larkhill and Nazi concentration camps. So I wonder how all of these factors could be included faithfully without it all upsetting various parties for various reasons. I get the feeling they may just dump all of this and concentrate on V being some sort of dashing anti-hero - which would be very dull indeed IMHO! I have this horrible feeling that it may just turn into some sort of action flick...

Zygon said:
Nightmare scenario: not only do the producers insist that we find out who V is, we discover he's Evey's dad after all!!

I doubt that they could get the treatment of Evey to wash if V is her father, no matter how insane he is... If I had a thought on the matter, I often pondered was V always a man? That left it open for V being Valerie, or one of her ex-lovers, the latter being more likely.

However.... they can leave my adolescence alone, the curs!

Watchmen movie rumour: from Sci Fi Wire.

Sigourney Weaver being pursued for role of Silk Spectre, and Brit Daniel Craig (Lara Croft, Road to Perdition, the one whose headlong downward spiral leads him to Soho in the BBC drama Our Friends in the North) being pursued for role of Rorsarch.

Bah! As Hopey would say 'Super heroes suck' ;)

Zygon said:
Brit Daniel Craig (Lara Croft, Road to Perdition, the one whose headlong downward spiral leads him to Soho in the BBC drama Our Friends in the North) being pursued for role of Rorsarch.
what an excellent choice

Nooo, let's not get sidetracked into superhero stuff, even if it's Moore's stuff! It's just silly.

Zygon said:
Watchmen movie rumour: from Sci Fi Wire.

Sigourney Weaver being pursued for role of Silk Spectre, and Brit Daniel Craig (Lara Croft, Road to Perdition, the one whose headlong downward spiral leads him to Soho in the BBC drama Our Friends in the North) being pursued for role of Rorsarch.

Signorney just might be able to pull it off...

And as Batman says, Hopey sucks! :D (Said from a long-term fan of Love & Rockets who preferd Beto's Luba family saga...)

'Y que, putas?' ;) More of a Jaime fan myself :D A very nice bloke indeed.

Interesting take on the movie...

WHY V FOR VENDETTA MATTERS – ESPECIALLY NOW
by Rich Johnston

"But... but how can he be a terrorist? He's the good guy?"

Towards the end of 2001, twelve years after its peak, the last embers of the Islamist revolution gave their final glow. Four planes flew into the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and the ground (opposing some romanticised version of the latter, the passengers never breached the cockpit, the terrorists decided to down the plane after realising they couldn't reach their target in Washington DC.)

A last kick from the movement which, after the insurgency in Iran that followed the return of exiled Ayatollah Khomeini, bringing him to power, failed to convert the whole of the Middle East, let alone the world, to Islam. Failed to defeat Iraq and depose Saddam's secular government (he even had Christians in his government, the heathen!). Failed to persuade Saudi Arabia to expel the USA from its borders. Failed to reduce or repel Israel. Yet a relatively small action by a few operatives managed to kill thousands and start a war which reduced the fundamentalists’ power base in Afghanistan, but increased it elsewhere, and even managed to depose its most hated enemy, Saddam Hussein, and leave an Iraq ripe for recruitment.

Sometimes an act of terrorism by a few men, or even just one, can create an overwhelming response from the enemy that can, in its own way, fulfil their objectives.

It's a commonly used adage that terrorism doesn't work. Sadly, it's not true. The Good Friday Agreement in Ireland is likely never to have happened without the IRA's mainland bombing campaign (one I have first hand experience with). And the movements collectively dubbed Al Qaeda have never been so healthy right now. All the second Gulf War did was blow on those embers till they lit.

So. V For Vendetta. A story about personal responsibility that makes Spider-Man look like the infant parable it really is. A book about power, fascism, anarchy, the impotence of democracy, the potential of humanity and the innate contradictions of the English.

And the book is rooted in those idiosyncrasies. Taking its theme from that most bizarre of annual celebrations, Guy Fawkes Night when people gather around bonfires eating jacket potatoes and parkin, setting off fireworks while watching the burning effigy of a man put to death for the Catholic terrorist act of blowing up the political seat of Protestant power, the Houses Of Parliament. And we think he's great.

Britain has a history of turning its villains into heroes. From communist thieves like Robin Hood, to the highwayman Dick Turpin whom rich ladies would love to be held up by, through to the Kray Twins and those behind the Great Train Robbery. Have you ever noticed that the best villains in Hollywood movies are English? And didn't you really want Alan Rickman to push Bruce Willis off the top of that building? C'mon...

And so we have V. A murdering terrorist against a state, one that may have exceeded its powers, but also a state that the population as a whole support. There's something perverse amongst us that admires a strong grip, even while it’s round our throats.

And V doesn't let us off the hook with some easy action-adventure solution of deposing the dictator and letting democracy reign in its place. He's proposing anarchy as a solution to fascism. He provides no structure for solution merely “do what thou wilt”. It’s the opposite movement to the current situation, but is that really a better way to be?

So the movie. Well, script aside, it's off with a false foot. The metallic logo, the V inside the circle rejects the anarchic origins of the logo, the spray painted A for Anarchy, reversed and the bar removed. Then there's casting a star in the lead as V, where what you really need is a David Prowse figure under the mask, and someone else providing the voice, which you'd never be sure is or isn't computer generated or recorded. V cannot be anybody, because he is anybody, that's pretty much the point.

There's also word that England is in the state it’s in because it lost the war with Germany in World War II. Which is also deeply problematic, as it presumes an external oppressive force, where in the book; the country did it to itself. Again, pretty much the point here. Goodness me, what a lot of points.

Alan Moore's works have a pretty poor history of translation to film. Much of this has to do with the fact that they use the comics medium so well, that transference to any medium loses something. But in V, so many of comics' tricks were rejected, and a more filmic approach taken, that one could just use the panels as a storyboard in many cases.

But that's all by the by.

V For Vendetta matters because its about taking personal responsibility for the country you live in, realising the connection between people and power and the understanding that the government are the servants and you get the political system you deserve.

At a time when the US makes any criticism of the state a criticism of the country, where people vote for and approve a man who has lied to them because they feel he's a strong and where a country that had prided itself above others for the value it places on personal liberty and responsibility, has enacted stringent controlling measures under the name of patriotism, and increasing the national debt to a greater amount even than under Reagan for the sake of pursuing the dream of a morally bankrupt neo conservative taskforce who only managed to get the eye of the originally isolationist George W Bush when the terrorists struck, and managed to divert him from the real causes to some fictitious nonsense about all terrorism stemming from Saddam, repeating their trick with the communist threat back in the sixties and seventies.

And what of England, my England? Well, we it looks like Tony Blair will be returned to power, even as the Home Secretary Charles Clarke makes his predecessor look like a wimp. Home arrests, internment go hand in hand with increased fear of immigration and an upswing in Islamaphobia. Right now, the fascist party the BNP are planning to put up a record number of candidates for this year's General Election, and will no doubt get a record number of votes. We do this to ourselves. And if there was a V amongst us, he'd be condemned as much or more than the IRA.

But we all have a choice.

Next week, my first child is due. If it's a girl, we're calling her Eve. In Moore’s famous introduction to the book, he talked about how living under a Thatcher government made him want to take his family abroad. The fact that I don’t feel the same way says a lot about how I no longer feel as connected to my own government as I used to.

Source

[Emp edit: Fixing link]

Uh, thread-merging mods? V and V for Vendetta have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Hugo Cornwall said:
Zygon said:

I doubt that they could get the treatment of Evey to wash if V is her father, no matter how insane he is... If I had a thought on the matter, I often pondered was V always a man? That left it open for V being Valerie, or one of her ex-lovers, the latter being more likely.

However.... they can leave my adolescence alone, the curs!

I have a theory that V is actually the designer of the comuter and surveylance systems used by the state, and was tossed into a camp to ensure he never gave away any of the secrets.

The reason for this is that when Evey is shown he has access to the computer systems, he says something about how he always has had access.

Just a thought.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/index.cgi?column=litg

MOORE SLAMS V FOR VENDETTA MOVIE, PULLS LoEG FROM DC COMICS

Alan Moore, co-creator of the "V For Vendetta" comic, has publicly disassociated himself from the upcoming Warner Brothers movie project based on the comic book and written and produced by the Wachowski Brothers. And as a result, he has cut his remaining ties with DC Comics, including future volumes of the "League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen."

Moore has promised future "League" comics will be published by a US/UK collaboration between Top Shelf and Knockabout.

Extraordinary Adaptations

Alan Moore has written some of the most critically acclaimed comic books of the eighties, nineties and two thousands, across genres, countries and publishers. His early British work for Marvel UK, "2000AD" and "Warrior," led to DC Comics asking him to write a number of their titles, leading to the British invasion of US comics and at least two publisher imprints. He is regarded by many as the medium's greatest living creator, with titles such as "Watchmen," "V For Vendetta," "From Hell," "League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen," "Top Ten" and "Promethea" continually successful and remaining in print. However, while every publisher would like to work with him, many have found him unwilling. Moore has had a tendency to "punish" publishers for what he believes are personal betrayals or shoddy behaviour. And he refuses to change, even when circumstances do.

Moore's work has often been a source of inspiration for others, including Hollywood, and a number of directors credit him openly. So it was natural that his comic book work might be seized upon as the comic-book-film trend became more popular. But the kindest thing that can be said about the films "From Hell," "Constantine" and "League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen" is that they're not as good as the comics.

Alan's oft-repeated stance on this is that the original comics remain untouched. "As long as I could distance myself by not seeing them, enough to keep them separate, take the option money, I could be assured no one would confuse the two. This was probably naïve on my part."

This has changed. Speaking to me on Friday, Moore added to this sentiment, telling me "after the films came out, I began to feel increasingly uneasy, I have a dwindling respect for cinema as it is currently expressed." This came to a head when Alan Moore was sued as part of a suit against 20th Century Fox for plagiarism of the screenplay "Cast Of Characters" which bore heavy resemblance to the movie version of "The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen" starring Sean Connery.

"The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen" was a series Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill created for Wildstorm, a comic studio and then part of the publisher Image Comics. The series takes the entirety of Victorian pulp fiction as a backdrop for new adventures for a team of very familiar characters. As part of his ABC line for Wildstorm, the comics continued even after DC Comics bought Wildstorm. Moore's history with DC Comics over creator ownership and corporate attitudes had seen him swear off working with them, so a "firewall" was built up so Moore could continue the line, but never have to deal with DC Comics. However, DC editorial occasionally interfered with published work, leading Alan Moore withdrawing cooperation from an anniversary reprint and CD of his iconic superhero work "Watchmen."

The "League" was very well received, critically and commercially. Moore had sold the movie options before the first issue had been solicited. But the lawsuit shocked him to the core. Moore seems amused by this now, though at the time he was not. "They seemed to believe that the head of 20th Century Fox called me up and persuaded me to steal this screenplay, turning it into a comic book which they could then adapt back into a movie, to camouflage petty larceny." This led to Moore giving a ten-hour deposition - he believes he'd have suffered less if he'd "sodomised and murdered a busload of children after giving them heroin."

My own research into this story showed that there was some resemblance between the "Cast" and "League" screenplays - but mostly over aspects of the film that did not appear in the comic book, Quatermain as the lead hero, the appearance of Tom Sawyer and Dorian Gray with Huckleberry Finn as the revealed villain amongst others. It's arguable that the case had merit, but not against Alan Moore. However, by 20th Century Fox settling the case, Moore felt this was almost an admission of his guilt.

Moore felt that enough was enough and decided that if something was worth reacting to, "it was worth overreacting to." He stated "I'd have nothing to do with films anymore. If I owned the sole copyright, like with 'Voice Of The Fire,' there would not be a film. Anything else, where others owned copyrights, I'd insist on taking my name off future films. All of the money due to me would go to the artists involved. I'd divorce myself from the film process, the film industry and any adaptations. And I felt a sense of moral satisfaction."

Moral satisfaction however doesn't always pay the bills. "When Karen Berger rang me up to give me money for the 'Constantine' movie, I asked her to take my name off the film and split the money with the artists. Most of it went to Rick Veitch, who although was the first to draw John Constantine yet wasn't receiving anything from the film.... The rest was split between John Totleben, Steve Bissette, Jamie Delano and John Ridgeway, divided so everyone ended up with the same amount in total.

"The same with the option money on 'V For Vendetta.' I think it was about eight grand. It went to David Lloyd. Now, I wasn't doing this because I could afford it, I was short of change actually, but I just wanted it done. Give it to Dave, take my name off the film."

"I'm Alan Moore And I Endorse This Message"

This decision has been a topic in a number of interviews with Alan Moore of late, notably the BBC Radio 4 Chain Reaction interview by Stewart Lee (transcript here).

What wasn't known until now is that earlier in the year, Alan Moore told DC, through Scott Dunbier, that if there was "any more meddling, any more pulping, any more problems" that he'd take his remaining DC project, "The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen," away from DC.

Earlier in the year, Moore received a call from "V For Vendetta" writer/producer and "Matrix" director Larry Wachowski, but told him politely, "I didn't want anything to do with films and had no time this year, being in the middle of work, my day job, writing, I wasn't interested in Hollywood." Shortly afterwards, Alan Moore was made aware of a press release sent out covering a press conference producer Joel Silver and the cast had held.

In this press release, Joel Silver, as well as announcing that the release date November the 5th 2005 was the 100th anniversary of Guy Fawkes attempt on Parliament, instead of the 400th anniversary, also said of Alan, "he was very excited about what Larry had to say and Larry sent the script, so we hope to see him sometime before we're in the UK. We'd just like him to know what we're doing and to be involved in what we're trying to do together"

Alan felt, basically, that his name was being used in vain. Not only had he expressed the opposite to Larry, but his endorsement was being used as a selling point for a movie - the reason he'd requested his credit and association be dropped from all of these movies.

Alan, through Wildstorm editor Scott Dunbier, instructed DC/Warner Brothers to issue a retraction against these "blatant lies - that's the phrase I'm groping for." He called Scott up and told him that he was "Nineteen pages away from finishing all my contracted work" for ABC/Wildstorm/DC Comics - three pages on the "League," sixteen on "Tom Strong."

Moore requested a retraction, a clarification and a modest apology, posted in a forum with a similar weight to the original press release. Moore says he'd have been happy with something along the lines of "Due to a misunderstanding, Alan Moore does not wish to be associated with the 'V For Vendetta' movie." Moore gave DC two weeks to rectify the matter as he saw it. I understand from DC sources that Paul Levitz tried personally to illicit an apology from Joel Silver without joy and that at a corporate level, there was no possibility of issuing a corporate apology with such a similar weight as the original press release, though Silver's words were removed from the movie's Web site.

It wasn't enough. So after two weeks, Alan Moore did as he said. Moore's last remaining "League" for DC is all but completed and due this year.

A Change Of Scenario

This is "The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Dark Dossier," a hardcover graphic novel coming from Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill later this year from ABC/Wildstorm/DC Comics. Moore tells me this "will slip in between volumes two and three" of the "League." Moore described it to me as "not my best comic ever, not the best comic ever, but the best thing ever. Better than the Roman civilisation, penicillin..." The human brain? "Yes and the human nervous system. Better than creation. Better than the big bang. It's quite good."

He continues, "It will be nothing anyone expects, but everything everyone secretly wanted." It's unusual to hear such hyperbole from one more commonly associated with self-deprecation. It's nearing completion and Moore tells me he was in a recording studio last week, working on part of it. Yes, that intrigued me too, though Moore refused to be drawn past the tantalising glimpse he'd deliberately dropped.

Then after that, volume three of the "League" will be published by Top Shelf/Knockabout a year to eighteen months later, in a totally new format. And future volumes will continue from this publisher collaboration (see sidebar).

Alan told me that as a result of finally and permanently splitting from DC, he's has a general feeling of elation. He feels good about himself, as if a weight has been lifted. Earlier reports I'd had from the past two weeks were that his temper was high, but speaking to him found the same calm, serene gentlemen I'd met on and off over the last ten years.

And in this spirit of bonhomie, Alan Moore decided to propose to his longterm girlfriend and co-creator of Lost Girls, Melinda Gebbie. She accepted and they have announced their engagement.

All I hear at the moment are how people are being dropped by DC (Humanoids and 2000AD - when I've spoken to them the former seemed resigned to it but the latter we postively angry) or are ending their relationship with them (as in Alan Moore's case).

I don't know if it is that we Old Worlders aren't capabale of slotting into the machine that is DC (and the other big comic companies) but relations over the pond seemed to have soured in the last 6 months.

Bad news for everyone :(

I have a weird feeling the 2000AD deal was struck just to reprint The Ballad of Halo Jones.

With the Humanoids, they had already started reprinting them as an independent company, but when DC struck their deal, they just reprinted what had already been put out in AMerica and then wondered why they weren't selling well...

Emperor said:
All I hear at the moment are how people are being dropped by DC (Humanoids and 2000AD - when I've spoken to them the former seemed resigned to it but the latter we postively angry) or are ending their relationship with them (as in Alan Moore's case).

I don't know if it is that we Old Worlders aren't capabale of slotting into the machine that is DC (and the other big comic companies) but relations over the pond seemed to have soured in the last 6 months.

I don't know if that's the case. I'd like to think that the big British writers could pedal their wares elsewhere and not rely on DC, or Marvel for that matter. It's not as if Moore is going to find it difficult to find someone to publish his work. If anything this could work in everybodies favour. If Moore takes new material elsewhere (although given the nature of his hiatus how much material is open to speculation) then it's likely he's going to have more control and say over what happens to his product or at least the publishers would respect his work more even if he didn't want to get directly involved.

Can you imagine what the League film could have been if it was based more on Moore (ahem) and less on spoon-feeding an American market?

This sounds bad - an AICN script review of V for Vendetta:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=20348

And an excerpt:
Which brings me to V for Vendetta and the fact that Moore has once again, requested his name be removed from the film. Not only that, but he is severing his ties with DC after delivering his final League book. Now, given that the Wachowski's wrote the screenplay and the Wachowski's certainly possess ample imagination (*cough*), it would make one at least hope that they'd respect someone who possesses a similarly large imagination and recognize the precision thereof.

Or not.

Prime example, as we are introduced to V for the first time in a scene that is taken directly from the book with little deviation up till this point. Those who have read the book know how V first meets Evey, in the dark alley after rescuing her. Here is, word for word, the speech written for V by the Wachowski brothers.

He indicates his mask

V

"This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is it vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished, as the once vital voice of the verisimilitude now venerates what they once vilified. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vangquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.

The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose vis-à-vis an introduction, and so it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V."

Evey

Are you like, a crazy-person?

Stop laughing. I still have a review to write.

Thanks.

It's rare that written dialogue angers me, but when I read the first interaction between V and Evey, it made me livid. They had already swept the rug out from underneath the very character that is to carry the entire film. Rather than present him as he is in the book, an exacting and charismatic mind, they first give him the aforementioned speech. Then the event, the very thing that is intended to kick off the entire film, the destruction of Madame Justice and Old Bailey, is prefaced by a misguided and generally retarded approximation by the Wachowski's on what constitutes "charisma." These are the same two people that wrote the heavy-handed monologuing of the Matrix films, so take a guess as to how V is written.

Comic Con Panel

There was a Comic con panel on the upcoming film. From Aicn:
Warner Bros' panel brought out Natalie Portman, Joel Silver, Grant Hill and co-creator David Lloyd.

They premiered the trailer for us and it was awesome. I'll get to some specifics in a minute, but first let's talk about the panel.

To start off, I have to say that even disregarding the line-up of love-struck males that approached the mic to ask questions of her, Ms. Portman had the audience eating out of her hand. She was so adorable, so sweet and so kind that you could feel the love of the audience for her.
TIDBITS:
-The first thing asked of Ms. Portman was for an utterly original moment... which she did to the delight of the audience. A kind of screechy, tongue-sticking-out, fingers splayed out over her forehead thing. Very cute.
-A (supposedly) New Line employee floated the idea of Portman playing Audrey Hepburn in a film. Portman says she idolizes Hepburn and didn't think she could ever bear the responsibility of playing her onscreen.
-A comic fan asked the panel why Alan Moore didn't sign off on the project (to a group of applause from the back of the room). David Lloyd, co-creator and artist on the original series, answered.

Lloyd said that Moore would seemingly only be happy with a page by page adaptation (a la SIN CITY, I'm guessing) whereas Lloyd himself only wanted a great script that captured the essence of the original books.
-Lloyd also was asked about the London bombings and his opinion on how controversial the movie will be. He responded saying that the story has always been controversial because of the idea of portraying a terrorist as a person with their own reasons for doing what they're doing, not an all out unexplainable evil isn't popular. He went on to say that if we can't understand the point of view of the terrorists we won't ever stand any chance to put a stop to terrorist acts.
This was popular with about half the hall while the other half just sat, quietly. The middle-aged lady in front of me was shaking her head the whole time Lloyd was speaking... Maybe she won't like this movie...

TRAILER:
This trailer whipped my ass. It starts off with Evey (Portman) being restrained, captured and shaved bald. The authorities tell her they will let her go if she can lead them to V. She tells them, "No."

The trailer is a lot of cuts and bits of info from here on out. What I gleaned from the 2 minutes... Hugo Weaving as V (voice specifically) is perfect. Absolutely perfect. It sounds like it is drawn in the book (which in the book all of V's dialogue bubbles are drawn in wavy lines)... whispery, but still theatrical and full of power. And it sounds nothing like Agent Smith or Elrond, which was my biggest worry.
We glimpse the image of V, pre-mask and cloak, in silhouette in front of fire (directly from the book) as well as some truly great dagger-sized knife moments. He goes two fisted with these gleaming silver daggery-knives that, when you add in the perfectness of the mask and hat with the whooshing of his cape, just made me grin like an idiot.
The only thing that is even a little off is there seems to be (in at least one shot) a slow-mo bullet-timey sequence that has V throwing his two daggers that go flipping through the air with little trails following them. Even though that was a tad weird, it still came off well since the daggers were spinning differently from each other, so the trails they left were kind of psychedelic.
The trailer ends with Weaving at his best saying, "Remember, remember the 5th of November..." Great friggin' tagline and great tie-in date.

Mighty_Emperor said:

I don't know whether it's a case of us not being able to slot into the big companies. A number of British writers have fitted well into the DC vertigo imprint in the past, for example, on titles such as Hellblazer or Neil Gaiman's Sandman series (which ran to its original conclusion entirely under Neil).

I think it might well be a problem with DC.

This is not currently the case with Marvel. Gaiman and Ennis have both recently had work with Marvel. Mark Millar, Brian Hitch, and Alan Davis have effectively had long term work on the Ultimate Books and Uncanny X-Men respectively, and despite it's very mixed popularity Grant Morrison was given a long tenure on New X-Men. And don't forget Warren Ellis' Next Wave, due out in the New Year.

British writers and artists do have a firm place in the American Comic Book market - and more importantly they have the respect of the punters, both sides of the atlantic.

Alan Moore's decidion to take the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and leave DC, on the other hand, should not also be viewed as a single decision. When Moore walked out on DC the first time it was over an entirely different issue, and arguably through a bit of scapegoating on DC's part. Had Wildstorm not been sold to DC he would have been unlikely to work with DC again. There's a lot of unresolved issues between both parties which go back years, from lots of seperate ownership and creative problems. Think of this as the straw which broke the camel's back.

I don't know, maybe it's because DC is a more old fashioned corporation, maybe they're more of a business first and comic book creators second? I don't know.

But I'm not sure it's a problem specifically with British talent, moreso a larger company who are perhaps becoming a little out of touch.

CuriousIdent said:
I don't know, maybe it's because DC is a more old fashioned corporation, maybe they're more of a business first and comic book creators second? I don't know.

But I'm not sure it's a problem specifically with British talent, moreso a larger company who are perhaps becoming a little out of touch.

Yes thats really what I was getting at. I think its just two different ways of doing things and you can see the same thing with thins like sit coms. British ones tend to be done by a small writing team with relatively short runs while the US ones tend to have a lot more epsidoes in a series and they use large teams of writers.

The main complaint from the artists is that DC tends to want to pigeonhole them so if they did some inking for DC they are tagged as inkers. Most artists who came through 2000AD (which is still a focus for the US firms finding British talent) do their own pencils and inking but DC seem to want to keep the artists producing art (which must help meet the deadlines and allow more work to be produced) but it can make it difficult if you aren't happy about being pigeonholed. I'm not saying talent can't work in he US but when you have two systems sometimes when they meet and mesh there can be a bit of trouble making everyone happy.

Equally one could argue that books and the "denser" comics (like Alan Moore's work) would need to be reworked and pos. simplified to create cinematic verions (if you want big bucks to make a film you have to guarantee big box office). The V film looks good so far and I'll be going to see it but its not my "vision" that has been compormised so...... And lets never forget LXG ;)

I don't think it is necessarily about right and wrong just about doing things differently.

Back