• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Van Gogh's Death: Suicide Or Something Else?

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Did Van Gogh die in an unfortunate brush with fate?
Art historians say it was suicide – but a new book claims he met his demise in a shooting accident
By Rob Sharp, Arts Correspondent
Saturday, 15 October 2011

He is one of the biggest names in art history, who was believed to have come to an equally momentous death. However, a new book to be published next week will reveal that the Dutch painter Vincent van Gogh did not, in fact, commit suicide.

Van Gogh: The Life, published in Britain on Monday and to be trailed in the US tomorrow night in an episode of the news show 60 Minutes, is the result of 10 years of research by its authors, Steven Naifeh and Gregory White Smith. The pair's biography of the US artist Jackson Pollock was honoured with a Pulitzer Prize in 1991.
All copies of the book have been shipped out under strict embargo, but news leaked out yesterday evening as CBS began promoting the show.

The Independent can reveal the authors believe Van Gogh died because of a shooting accident. CBS claims the revelations could "rewrite art history".

Van Gogh, a Dutch Post-Impressionist who died in 1890 aged 37, suffered from anxiety and mental illness throughout his life.
Popular opinion is that, on the morning of 27 July, Van Gogh shot himself in the chest with a revolver in the countryside outside Paris, dying from his wounds two days later. Speculation has abounded over where this happened – some say in a wheat field, others in a barn – but most believe ultimately it happened by his own hand.

However, the US authors claim to have uncovered new evidence which suggest the most likely cause of his death is at the hands of a third party, believed to be two local boys and involving a malfunctioning pistol.

In their promotion of the programme, CBS say the writers have arrived at their conclusions by asking questions including: "Could Van Gogh have inflicted a painful wound and still walked over a mile on difficult terrain?"

They also question whether the artist, who was known to have spent time in an insane asylum, could have got hold of a gun. They challenge theories which state Van Gogh's last painting was the morose July 1890 offering Wheat Field with Crows. The new work relies on previously untranslated letters belonging to Van Gogh's family. The book also features dozens of new photographs.

The programme will be presented by the Canadian reporter Morley Safer. CBS said in a statement: "Safer's story, illustrated with the vibrant work of the painter, follows Naifeh and Smith as they make a compelling argument for what they say is a much more likely cause of death. The authors point to unknown suspects and new evidence, while also clarifying other accepted details of the Van Gogh legend."

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 70919.html

The pistol reputed to be the one that killed van Gogh is going onto the auction block, and doubts about the canonical suicide explanation have emerged again ...
Did Van Gogh Shoot Himself? Auction of Pistol Reignites Debate.

The auction of a pistol said to have been used by the painter Vincent van Gogh to shoot himself has reignited a debate about who actually pulled the trigger: Did Van Gogh commit suicide, or was he shot by someone else? ///

For years, most Van Gogh experts have accepted the explanation that he shot himself in the chest with a pistol in a suicide in July 1890. ...

Such a gun was found more than 70 years later, in a field near the French farming village of Auvers-sur-Oise where Van Gogh died, and it has widely been accepted as the weapon he used to shoot himself. ...

In the years since his death, the Dutch expressionist painter ... has become the archetype of a despairing, suicidal artist overcome by depression.

But in 2011, biographers Gregory White Smith and Steven Naifeh argued that Van Gogh didn't shoot himself, but was shot accidentally by 16-year-old René Secrétan, who was spending the summer in the village.

According to their biography "Van Gogh: The Life" (Random House, 2011), Secrétan and his brother both befriended and bullied Van Gogh when he stayed at Auvers — and that Secrétan possessed the gun involved.

Based on a number of lingering mysteries about the last hours of Van Gogh's life, the authors proposed that the artist was shot during a scuffle with Secrétan; then, he implied that he had shot himself, in order to cover for the boys ...

FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/65725-van-gogh-pistol-debate.html

There was a good video about this by Buzzfeed Unsolved, in fact before I'd watched said video I didn't even know there was any question about it being suicide. Now, though, I certainly have my doubts...

I've heard about this! It's an interesting theory.

I also heard a theory that said he didn't cut off his own ear. Gaugin did it, during a fight. and Vincent covered up for him.

I don't know how much truth there is to that idea, or wether it can ever be known, but he was certainly an interesting character.

Great painter too! Though the chair always leaves me baffled rather than impressed.

I finally saw At Eternity's Gate on Netflix. Willem Dafoe makes for an impassioned driven Van Gogh. Better in some ways than Kirk Douglas in Lust For Life, Dafoe deals more with Van Gogh's mental problems. Mads Mikkelsen is impressive as the priest/psychiatrist. Anthony Quinn was a better Gaughin in Lust For Life though, Oscar Isaac is just ok in Eternity.

It also suggests his death wasn't suicide, it shows his run in with the boys and him being shot.

An art researcher's chance inspiration from an antique postcard allowed him to almost certainly pinpoint the location of the scene van Gogh was painting on his last day ("Tree Roots").
Researcher pinpoints location of Van Gogh’s last painting

The exact location where Dutch master Vincent van Gogh painted his last work has been pinpointed after being hidden in plain view for years among a tangle of roots next to a rural lane near Paris. Experts say the discovery sheds new light on the anguished painter’s mental state on the day he is widely believed to have fatally shot himself.

A Dutch researcher realized that the scene depicted in the troubled artist’s final work, “Tree Roots,” was visible on a faded picture postcard featuring a man standing next to a bicycle on a back street of the village of Auvers-sur-Oise, 35 kilometers (21 miles) north of Paris. Van Gogh spent the last weeks of his life in the village and completed dozens of paintings there. Helpfully, the card even included the name of the street. ...

The discovery by Wouter van der Veen, scientific director of the Van Gogh Institute in France, provides a new glimpse of the artist in his final hours. It means art historians can now see that Van Gogh worked on the painting until the end of the afternoon, meaning he spent much of the day concentrating on the canvas. ...

FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/5498fb6cfcdfc3614793e9e4eb3a0ec1

See Also:

Van Gogh: Postcard helps experts 'find location of final masterpiece'
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53568021

I've been fortunate enough to stand in front of many wonderful artworks around the world, I'm no critic, nor historian but of all of the artists, Van Gogh is one whose work resonates with me unlike others. He has a sense if vibrancy and immediacy and captures simple scenes with such complexity. Some of his works look so childlike, yet contain techniques that would take a lifetime to master.
A couple of years back I was in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York and was astounded to be standing in rooms filled with billions of dollars of works by Michelangelo, Vermeer, Renoir, Matisse, El Greco & countless others. The only one behind security glass was a self portrait by Van Gogh (see below).
vincent.jpg

Starry Night is at the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA) which I would of loved to have seen, but time did not allow. There was however this beautiful picture in a similar vein (Wheat fields with cypresses).
vincent2.jpg

Last edited:
I saw Irises when it was at The Burrell Collection. It was so vivid and full of life it was hard to accept it was the work of someone who had such a bleak view of his existence.

I saw Irises when it was at The Burrell Collection. It was so vivid and full of life it was hard to accept it was the work of someone who had such a bleak view of his existence.
Maybe he used such bright colours as therapy? To brighten up his day?

Previously unseen Van Gogh drawing

The sketch has been been sitting in a Dutch family's private collection for more than a century. But on Thursday, it went on display at the Amsterdam museum for the first time.

Van Gogh appeared to have used the drawing as the basis for a slightly different version of the drawing shortly afterwards, which he preferred, and which is currently in the museum's collection under the title Worn Out.
The artist made Study for Worn Out when he was living in the Hague and still learning to draw at around the age of 29. Experts say it offers an exceptional insight into Van Gogh's working process at the time.

"In stylistic terms, it fits perfectly with the many figure studies we know from Van Gogh's time in The Hague and the connection with Worn Out is obvious.

"The artist began by drawing a grid on the paper, which tells us that he worked with a perspective frame to help him capture a figure quickly with the correct proportions. He then worked the sheet up in his characteristically expressive drawing style: not refined, but with energetic scratches and strokes and laying down contours, in search of a pithy image with special attention to effects of light and shade.
1631826983516.png

Back