• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

very spooky goings on

thebeagle1

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
hey guys, I have been reading this forum for quite some time now and i have wanted to share this so here goes: we (me and boyfriend have been living in this flat now for 2 + 1/2 years. Not long after we moved in about a month or so, boyfriend was out for the night and it was about 1 in the morning. I was getting ready for bed and turned the tv off from the plug and the lamp. as we live near a main road in liverpool, there are street lamps for light but there were no cars as it was so late. I was gathering some things up from the coffee table when i heard a shuffling noise just behind me. it was about 7 feet away near the front door of the flat and was feet moving backwards and forwards on the carpet behind me. it went on for about ten seconds and like a cat I could almost feel all the hackles on my back and neck go up. I felt sick. The noise was absoulutely unmistakeable and i knew instantly what it was. I had to tell myself that no one was there and turn around. nothing was there but I had to go past to continue getting ready for bed (bathroom bedroom). I hurried past and as quick as I could, found the area very cold, got into bed to wait for my boyfriend to get back - this was about and hour and a half later. As I was telling him what happened, we heard a loud crash in the hallway and when he went to look, the stand up vacuum cleaner had thrown itself to the floor. He is not easily spooked at all and had spent ten minutes trying to calm me down but was very perturbed by the hoover.
Some weeks later, I was recounting the story to a friend who lived in Edinburgh with her boyfriend( who says he is sensitive to spirits) and he chipped in as calm as anything that he had known there was a woman who walked our landing and had lived there many years ago but that she just wanted us to know she was there. I told him that I had not really slept well since and he suggested just saying in the flat loudly that I knew she was there but that her presence scared me and asked that she could leave me alone. I was quite sceptical but tried it and after a very unsettled month, we have not had any further trouble.
I had not thought before that I had ever experienced anything spooky but no one can tell me otherwise on this e.g. my mum has ventured that it was someone from another flat coming in - but its hard floors in communal areas not carpet and the biggest sceptic boyfriend has just kept quiet and wont talk about it. In the last six months we have got a little rescue cat and i was anxious to see if she sensed anything. first of all nothing but after a month or so, she would meow at the spot between 4 and 6 in the morning and scratch at the wall. she does that quite a lot and obviously disturbs sleep ( shes got a good set of pipes on her!)
so it kind of seems we are living with something that is tolerating us but that is still present if the cat is to believed. Its given me mega goosepimps writing this and i was wondering if anyone had been through anything similar???? :?

Did you ask your friend's bf why he didn't say anything earlier, if he 'knew' about a spirit?

thebeagle1 i wouldnt worry too much about this ghost, as it seems to me its a case of it just wants you to know its there. Nearly all ghosts ive read about are quite harmless. So in my opinion its a former resident just letting you know they are there.Dont loose any sleep over it as most ghosts ive read about are like people (very few really bad ones). :)

Great story Beagle!

You've just reminded me of something that happen in my teens. I was staying at a friends house - which was just a normal three bedroom council house with no great age to it. I ended up sleeping in the brother's room because he had gone away for the weekend. I can't remember what time of year it was but his room was freezing cold, so much so that the even the bed was icy cold too. I had a real job sleeping as the bed wouldn't warm up, not even from my body heat. I slept pretty fitfully before giving it up as a bad thing, and because I didn't want to disturb the rest of the family I went downstairs. I sat in the livingroom with my back to the closed door reading some magazines that were lying around. All of a sudden I was aware that there was something behind me. It made the room go cold and the hairs on the back of my neck raise. I just couldn't turn around as I was so scared about what was behind me. I sat there terrified for a good half an hour before it just suddenly stopped and the room returned to a fairly normal temperature.

:shock:

I wonder what Degsy'd make of that? Sounds like a real, gen-u-ine spooky house. 8)

Yeah Hallybods, that sounds like a very similar experience - i was frozen with fright at the thing behind me! :shock:

The reason my friends boyfriend hadnt mentionned things was that first of all my friend had told him not to because it would frighten me which probably would have been true. But I am also very sceptical of this individual as he begs to read my tarot cards and makes references to some of my very close family members who have passed away. He has enough information about me to making very sweeping comments about me wanting a father figure and there is a male spitit watching over me and so on. Without ever really having seen evidence of his ability, then i think some of the things he says are cheap shots.

Hi Beagle - If you want to understand one interpretation of what tarot readers etc do, then investigate something called 'cold reading'. I'll let you do the research :D However, I think you have your head screwed right!!

thebeagle1 said:
hey guys, I have been reading this forum for quite some time now and i have wanted to share this so here goes: we (me and boyfriend have been living in this flat now for 2 + 1/2 years. Not long after we moved in about a month or so, boyfriend was out for the night and it was about 1 in the morning. I was getting ready for bed and turned the tv off from the plug and the lamp. as we live near a main road in liverpool, there are street lamps for light but there were no cars as it was so late. I was gathering some things up from the coffee table when i heard a shuffling noise just behind me. it was about 7 feet away near the front door of the flat and was feet moving backwards and forwards on the carpet behind me. it went on for about ten seconds and like a cat I could almost feel all the hackles on my back and neck go up. I felt sick. The noise was absoulutely unmistakeable and i knew instantly what it was.

What was it?

What was it?

That's what I was just wondering - I even read the post again in case I'd missed something crucial.... lol

Spooky story thebeagle1... :shock:

Your friends partner sounds like a piece of work :grrr: I also recommend you look up cold reading techniques. You might be surprised by how familiar it sounds...

sbell11 said:
What was it?

That's what I was just wondering - I even read the post again in case I'd missed something crucial.... lol

Spooky story thebeagle1... :shock:

Your friends partner sounds like a piece of work :grrr: I also recommend you look up cold reading techniques. You might be surprised by how familiar it sounds...

As I understand it, "What it was" was the sound itself. ie, she was certain she had identified what the SOUND was, not what was making it.

Hope that makes sense.

this is quite bizarre actually, as two nights ago i was lying in bed (boyfriend asleep) and heard a rustling in the same place in the hallway. The only thing i can descibe it as is like if you had a big poster on the wall and it fell off. we dont have any posters and the cat was fast asleep on the bed aswell so there were no rogue family members making noise. i was strangely scared - by that i mean i fet too scared at a noise.... i really couldnt move to go and look if there was anything there. about half an hour later (and a now awake boyfriend ;) ) i went to look and nothing. later that morning Wally the cat was again yowling at the area and scratching random bits of wall but she does this quite often now. hmmm.
and you are right sbell he is a piece of work. :blah:
he reckons he has summoned evil with a ouija board and angered some witch or another. you should hear the stuff he tells his girlfriend
D-U-M-P-E-D!!!!

The only thing i can descibe it as is like if you had a big poster on the wall and it fell off. we dont have any posters and the cat was fast asleep on the bed aswell so there were no rogue family members making noise.

A bit random I know, but is there a chimney near the spot? could it be birds in there? or furry visitors under the floorboards? (Not casting aspersions here! just wondering! lol)
Do you have an attic? might there be bats in your bellfry? :D

and you are right sbell he is a piece of work.
he reckons he has summoned evil with a ouija board and angered some witch or another. you should hear the stuff he tells his girlfriend

Oh how CLEVER he is... :evil: :roll: He angered a witch? what'd he do? talk to her? lol :roll:

sbell11 said:
The only thing i can descibe it as is like if you had a big poster on the wall and it fell off. we dont have any posters and the cat was fast asleep on the bed aswell so there were no rogue family members making noise.
A bit random I know, but is there a chimney near the spot? could it be birds in there? or furry visitors under the floorboards?
That was my thought, too, after seeing this description. Could there be, say, a pigeon or rat trapped in a wall-space nearby? It might explain both the noise and the cat's sporadic interest in that spot.

I'm not trying to dismiss your spooky tale, though. I'm pretty certain that I would be scared witless by sounds like this. Investigate in the middle of the night? Er, no thanks!

in fact there is no chimney and no fire place in any of the flats (one above and one below)- old building. we dont have any exposed roof - upstairs covers it.
it is a bit queer i have to say. :?

It is still posssible to be a furry visitor. One time we had an escaped hamster and we could heard it surprisingly high up in the wall cavity. It would have been quite scary it we didn't know what it was.

yeah, that does sound like the most likely explanation. i know the flat downstairs had a rat last year as they are by the bins and there are lots of cavities in the walls. what i find intriguing is the fear that the unexpected or unexplained can cause. there was an article in the Times today about how humans have always tended towards superstitions and beliefs that arent tangible.
i wonder if it is a case of even if it is scary, its fun to speculate? Hmmm...

Back