• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Victorian Children, Fishing & Beavers

sneakyfeet

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
So, a little bit of background - I'm an everyday 25 year old who works a boring job, reads a lot of books and drinks a lot of coffee. While a part of me believes in 'weirdness' or fortean-ish instances, I am mostly skeptical. I haven't had anything really strange ever happen to me that I didn't feel like could probably be blamed on my subconscious. However, there was one dream/incident that really unsettled me.

Last spring, I awoke from a strange, vivid dream. I remember it threw me off because it was coherent and chronological, unlike my usual mashed together puzzles of dreams I usually had, so I wrote it down in my journal.

I dreamt that I was a child, around 12 years old, and I was running through a wide, grassy field towards a group of trees at the bottom of a gentle slope. I was with a small group of other youngsters - about 4 or 5 of us altogether. Strangely enough, we were all wearing what looked like Victorian era clothing. I distinctly remember the sun shining brightly and feeling warm against my face. I remember us laughing as we ran, and feeling incredibly happy.

We slowed down as we entered the woods at the edge of the field, and I remember the coolness I felt as we stepped into the shade. There was a wide stream there, and we began to assemble fishing rods.

The weird thing is (I realized after I awoke how strange it was, but in the dream thought nothing of it), that there were beavers everywhere. Beavers just sitting there, on the shore, in the water, on the rocks.

We fished quietly for a while. Then, the only other girl in the group spoke up. She appeared to be the oldest (about 14 years), and had long brown hair. She was perched on top of a small boulder with her pole. "We'll have to visit the old bridge later," she said in a sort of know-it-all kind of voice, and I remember feeling irritated with her for some reason. Suddenly, she looked past all the other kids in the group and stared straight at me, silently for a moment. I stared back at her, and then I woke up.

I wrote the dream down and forgot about it until that summer, when I went to visit my uncle in the Catskills. One afternoon, as we drove down the road with thick woods rolling past us, all the trees suddenly fell away, and a field came into view. Which really should have meant nothing, there are millions of fields and meadows and grassy expanses in the Catskills. But for some reason, this particular field struck something in me. I looked at it and felt confused. It rolled down a gentle slope, and the woods met at its edge. And then I felt both frightened and silly instantaneously - frightened because I realized it was exactly the field from my dream, silly because that was a ridiculous thing to believe. As we got closer, I saw a stream past the trees, and turned to my uncle in the driver's seat.

"Are there beavers here?" I asked him.

He glanced at me with this kind of surprised, amused expression on his face and said, "The locals call it Beaver Stream. There's so many damn beavers here they can't stand it." He laughed and continued driving.

His comment hit me like a sock in the gut, and I was beginning to feel immensely creeped out by the sense of familiarity I got from this place. And then suddenly, we were driving across a small, old, stone bridge. My stomach fluttered. I felt ridiculous, and yet something about it all was just so eerie.

Later, I attempted to describe it all to my boyfriend - the dream, the field, the bridge - saying it outloud made me feel even crazier. He laughed gently and put an arm around my shoulder, trying to give me explanations (maybe I had been there before when I was little, a lot of fields look alike, etc.). I know it's probably true, but I still can't shake the feeling I had when I saw that place in person.

Anyway, I figured if there was any place to share this, it would be here. And please don't get offended that I said I felt 'silly' with my experience, or that I have a lot of skepticism - I am not trying to discount your own experiences. I guess what I was trying to say was that I take everything with a grain of salt, and that growing up in a very cynical, conservative environment has simply made it hard for me to believe things at first take.

Thanks for listening :) It made me feel a little better to share this.

Thanks for reading! I didn't realize how terribly long my post was until I opened it after submission. You must be very patient! :p

sneakyfeet said:
Later, I attempted to describe it all to my boyfriend - the dream, the field, the bridge - saying it outloud made me feel even crazier. He laughed gently and put an arm around my shoulder, trying to give me explanations (maybe I had been there before when I was little, a lot of fields look alike, etc.). I know it's probably true, but I still can't shake the feeling I had when I saw that place in person.

Your boyfriend might be right about you having been there before, but why did you have those feelings about the place?

Thank you for posting!

Thank you for posting, sneakyfeet.

It's worth, I think, asking yourself and your family whether you've possibly been there before. The Victorian clothing could simply be subconscious garnish drawn from a chance association or perhaps a symbolic encoding of the fact that this was an historical memory. That's wild speculation, of course. I don't know what Victorianism or dated clothing represent to you! An obvious alternative is past-live recollection, but I think it wiser to consider more economical explanations before opening that can of ontological worms.

I've revisited places that I've been told I visited as a young child and the feeling is odd. One time sticks in my mind as almost magical: it was a country walk through woodland where my father had taken me years earlier as a two or three year old. I think I must have been carried a good part of the way as it was a fair distance. Before arriving, I couldn't muster a single recollection of the place, but once on the track, each twist, turn, stream, bridge, wall and house gave me a premonition of whatever was around the next corner. It became like a game: "There's a field with donkeys up here on the left!" (There was - probably different donkeys though); "Isn't there a run-down waterwheel near here?" (No, it had been completely renovated in the ensuing twenty five years). It was like a prolonged sensation of deja-vu without the disconcerting creepiness. I mention all this because if I hadn't been told that I had been there before visit, I would - I think - have been utterly freaked out by my rolling-foreknowledge of the topography.

It's a trite observation but memory is odd. The way that images, words and scenes return to us coated in a remarkable range of flavours, colours, tones, and moods is remarkable in itself; while the way actions and events can be reinterpreted, reclassified, altered and forgotten well after the event itself is nothing short of frightening when you consider the possible implications. As a being that exists in time, our memory constitutes a large part of our personality, but it's far from being the sepia photo album or dusty attic of folk psychology.

What an intriguing story!

I moved to Stranraer in my late 40's and also had a sensation of having been there before, particularly when I visited a very old fashioned sweet and tobacco shop that apparently had been there since before the War. I put that down to it reminding me of sweetie shops I had visited in my childhood in Edinburgh.

When I left the town my mother casually mentioned that it was ironic I should have lived in Stranraer as that is where I had been taken on holiday with her and my grandparents when I was only 3, in 1954. I had absolutely no recollection of the place itself, just a few disjointed memories of buying a toy and eating lots of potato cakes and jam!

Having said that, I think the poster's dream seems more like a previous life experience than a buried memory - but then I am whimsical!

I had a similar experience last year

I was driving my husband to his new place of work ( I had never been there before) where was passed a long field with a manor house at the end of it. As we rounded the bend I had looked up the field at the house and had a rush of a memory where I 'felt' I was outside a manor house dressed in edwardian type dress - I knew I lived at that house and I despite being rich I felt sad & unfulfilled inside.

I felt I was out in the cold and I could hear crows cawwing around me.

A split second later it was gone and I was back to normal.

Stayed with me every since!

Hi, what an experience! I just wanted to say that this reminds me of a weird dream/place thing that has happened a handful of times.

I'm somewhere new - and I mean out of town in places very different from the city I live in - and my mind makes a connection between different buildings/streets/monuments with dreams that I have had. The dream flashbacks can be very vivid and I seem to be able to remember the back story to the whole scene in a few seconds, along with a 'feeling' of the dream.

I have to say that this tends to happen when I'm tired. I remember one trip to a few picturesque northern towns I did with my mum by coach (I'm a kind daughter like that), I was exhausted as we started the journey back and my mind was chucking dream after dream after dream at me! I kept getting leaps of recognition at random things I saw out of the coach window, even though I'd never been to Yorkshire before. It was actually very unpleasant (nothing against Yorkshire, I just wanted my mind to be still!).

Past life revisited? Or an exhausted mind trying to make sense of the strangeness of a new place by inventing dreams or memories? Dunno. But it's not something I've ever mentioned to anyone before 'cause it is a little odd!

Wow, I'm so glad I came back to check up on this post - I didn't think anyone would really even read it! It's so interesting to hear all of your responses and experiences. I talked to my mom about whether I had ever been there before, and she replied it was possible, but couldn't remember for sure whether I had or hadn't. Simplest explanation is usually the right one, so I'm assuming this is the case - but it was still a strange experience!

How fascinating to here all of your similar experiences as well. I'm really intrigued by the different stories!

It's probably true that the "been there before" explanation is the best. But that doesn't completely account for the dream, or for the timing of the dream being in the spring just before the visit that summer! That's also part of what makes this interesting to me.

It's a great story. And I have to admit, the image of the girl turning & staring at you in the dream is a little creepy to me. What do you, as the dreamer, make of that girl?

Also, I personally don't believe in past lives, but since some have mentioned it, was the stone bridge old enough IRL that kids in the Victorian era would've called it "old"?

SHAYBARSABE said:
I'll admit to some oddity here: everytime, I see a pic of the Sombrero Galaxy, I think "Hello there, home."

I can tell you for certain that I've never been to the Sombrero Galaxy, yet, it seems so very familiar.
Are you sure you've never been there - it's only 35 million light-years away! :D

Or maybe you remember a photo in a book in an early childhood home...

rynner2 said:
Are you sure you've never been there - it's only 35 million light-years away! :D

Or maybe you remember a photo in a book in an early childhood home...

Could be, Rynner, I had so many childhood homes, I can't be remembering everything!

Not a million miles from the Sombrero Galaxy (well actually far more than a million miles from it really) I have a recurring 'vision' of a walking along a leafy country lane in the summer. It's very detailed lucid and specific and never changes. It pops into my head when I'm hugely tired, stressed or emotional. It's accompanied by a soothing sense of calmness.

I've had this same 'memory' since I was a child although I'm fairly sure I've never been to the lane in real life. It's sort of a mental comfort blanket. I know every inch of the lane by now, and I live in faint hope that one day I'll actually find myself recognising it when I'm actually there.

But really I reckon it's a mishmash of some real memory coupled with a nice feeling I once had, added to the 'find a happy place' thing people say, or used to say to the stressed.

I also have a couple of very clear and distinct memories involving locations that I hope to find someday... If only to prove that I have indeed been there in the past, and not some past life. One involves playing with a friend (whose face and name I cannot recall) near a rounded brick tower-like base on the side of a building (I don`t know the proper term. Like a half circle sticking out from the side of a building.) The image of the space is very clear in my mind - and I know with certainty that it was the north side of the building because the front of the building was facing the direction of my house.

But there is no such building anywhere near where I grew up. It isn`t possible that it was torn down, as the buildings in the area are all older than I am. The memory is extremely clear, though.

The second is a strong memory of sitting outside on a low wall facing the garden. (The garden is split into two levels, one higher and one lower. The higher part ends in a wall about a meter high.) The garden is shaded by trees and is very mossy, and at the end there are train tracks with a few abandoned/parked freight cars. Beyond them there are fields. I can remember this so clearly that I can even smell the moist air, and feel the breeze.
But as far as I know, I`ve never been in such a place. And certainly not the number of times it feels as though I have been in the memory. I can even vaguely recall the inside of the house.

I`d like to think that these are childhood memories, like the mysterious "secret garden" I was able to track down. I had the memory of squeezing through a heavily vined spot, finding an opening in the wall they covered, and looking through to see a perfect garden that looked otherworldly.
It really existed, and was hidden rather close to where I grew up. One of the houses was run down, looked almost abandoned, but was lived in by an old woman who put all her energy into her garden. The garden had buildings on all sides, but there was a small gap between two of them that had filled with vegetation and vines. I must have squeezed in there when small, and seen the amazingly beautiful garden.

tamyu said:
One involves playing with a friend (whose face and name I cannot recall) near a rounded brick tower-like base on the side of a building (I don`t know the proper term. Like a half circle sticking out from the side of a building.)

Buttress?

Mythopoeika said:
tamyu said:
One involves playing with a friend (whose face and name I cannot recall) near a rounded brick tower-like base on the side of a building (I don`t know the proper term. Like a half circle sticking out from the side of a building.)

Buttress?

I don`t think so. A buttress is a support - what I am thinking of looks much like half a tower built into the wall. Open with space inside.

It is possible it was a buttress, and the memory makes it seem larger than it is though, I suppose.

A thorough search suggests a bay window that extends from the ground to the top floor. (Instead of protruding on a single floor.)

decipheringscars said:
What do you, as the dreamer, make of that girl?

Also, I personally don't believe in past lives, but since some have mentioned it, was the stone bridge old enough IRL that kids in the Victorian era would've called it "old"?

I don't really know what to make of the girl...I don't know why I felt mildly irritated by her, all I know is that it felt like we knew each other, like we were friends or acquaintances or something.

As for the bridge...good question! I have no idea. Next time I'm in the Catskills I'll have to ask my uncle if he knows anything about it.

maxley said:
Not a million miles from the Sombrero Galaxy (well actually far more than a million miles from it really) I have a recurring 'vision' of a walking along a leafy country lane in the summer. It's very detailed lucid and specific and never changes. It pops into my head when I'm hugely tired, stressed or emotional. It's accompanied by a soothing sense of calmness.

Wow, it's so interesting to hear you and Tamyu discuss this. I also have very distinct, clear memories of two specific places that come to me at times, and every time they come into my mind, I feel a sense of comfort and (argh, it sounds so cheesy but don't know how else to put it) even a sense of peace.

It's funny, because I feel like I know where both of my places are, even though I haven't been there (from what I can remember). One of the places is a wide stream with smooth river stones lining the shore and big pines lining either side, with a log cabin further down. It's cold. I always associate it with Alaska. The other places is warm and muggy. There's a general market with a patio and little stairs to sit on, a dusty dirt road, and tall, swaying stalks of wheat in the distance. I don't know why I always place it somewhere in the south, like Mississippi or something.

Anyways, I never really gave these two places much thought, they just pop into my head from time to time and make me feel a sense of well-being. They're probably not even real places, or maybe I saw them in a movie or documentary or something, I don't know. How interesting to hear similar experiences, though! The human brain does such weird and inexplicable things sometimes. How interesting to hear that this is not just a quirky thing unique to me, but something other people have experienced as well.

I'll write about this in more detail actually when I've got more time but I had for many years a place where I used to regularly 'visit' in dreams (I always felt like I was revisiting a previous incarnation - I sort of feel I'm in my 2nd incarnation currently and the first was one that ended maybe around 1900) It was kind of normal but intangibly 'different' in a way I can't describe really. Anyway I 'found' this place in real life, or at least aspects of my dream place, at the southern tip of New Zealand (Invercargill/Bluff areas). There is more and new dreams have surfaced since then actually. I'm kind of open minded now, in that I'm open to the idea that it might just be my overactive imagination! (I used to believe any strange story or mystery I read or heared but have become a bit more sceptical as I've got older I'm afraid!! Maybe thats a good thing?..)

Oh wow, I hadn't been back to this forum in forever and didn't realize anyone else had posted a comment to this thread. How did you come across the dream area in real life? And I know what you mean about being more skeptical - when I was younger I was the same way, but now I question anything seemingly strange. I think it's natural, though. Children are just gullible :)

Back