• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Visited By A Fairy

I nearly always know where north is, thank you very much! AND I can read maps ;)
Ditto! I've got a perfectly good idea of which way my house is orientated (one of the first things I checked when I bought the place, because I wanted a garden with plenty of light). I'd think most people have a fair idea of which way their house faces, don't they?

@EnolaGaia
If the bedstead was made of iron it's not what I would call it as it's not a board like in a wooden one. When I had a victorian iron bedstead I just called it the 'bed head' and the 'bed end' :) However I knew what @brownmane meant!

So now @Floyd1 what a coincidence. About five minutes or so before reading your posts I'd been thinking the the FTMB could be described as my anti-depressent drug of choice. Interesting threads, pleasant members and rarely anything that makes me spit feathers unlike on fb or any of the news sites. I was trying to remember the last time a post on here made me even slightly tetchy! Then I perused this thread and found this:-
Try asking a British woman and they wouldn't have a clue. Why is that? (I suspect it's due to your straighter roads and grid road layouts of towns and cities).
I have just spat a good few pillows worth, and at least five high tog duvets!!

I see fellow forumites have already put you right. You are sailing very close to the wind there my friend!

There again I'm continually surprised by the number of people of both genders who seem to be 'aspect blind' for want of a better word. lol

You wait until now to tell us this B?!

Some questions;

What is a footboard?

You have North facing windows in Canada?

You Canadians and Americans always know the cardinal directions in relation to where you are. Try asking a British woman and they wouldn't have a clue. Why is that? (I suspect it's due to your straighter roads and grid road layouts of towns and cities).
Waits patiently for incoming from British female members to tell me I 'm a sexiest pig. Not for the first time ladies.
This Grumpy British female knows her North,South,East and West!
Grumbles about ''sexist pigs'' and gives my best Paddington Bear stare.:bhave:

If not a fairy on the footboard, then what could the little man be, a leprechaun ?

As far as directions the sun always rises in the east and sets in west if one is looking for a direction.

Beds: head and foot.

Directions: give me NSEW!
Left, right, 2 more lefts, then right after 2 turn offs- never.
British version; follow the twisty narrow road to the roundabout. Third exit, twist and turn some more, left at the blade of grass, right at the Nag's Head, sit at the temporary traffic lights (where no one is working and won't be for at least a month), wait for ten minutes behind a right-turner (as there's no room to get past because the road is too narrow), a few hundred more roundabouts- where lane discipline is merely a suggestion- and hey presto, you've done 20 miles in three hours. Not bad going!

@EnolaGaia
If the bedstead was made of iron it's not what I would call it as it's not a board like in a wooden one. When I had a victorian iron bedstead I just called it the 'bed head' and the 'bed end' :) However I knew what @brownmane meant!

So now @Floyd1 what a coincidence. About five minutes or so before reading your posts I'd been thinking the the FTMB could be described as my anti-depressent drug of choice. Interesting threads, pleasant members and rarely anything that makes me spit feathers unlike on fb or any of the news sites. I was trying to remember the last time a post on here made me even slightly tetchy! Then I perused this thread and found this:-

I have just spat a good few pillows worth, and at least five high tog duvets!!

I see fellow forumites have already put you right. You are sailing very close to the wind there my friend!

There again I'm continually surprised by the number of people of both genders who seem to be 'aspect blind' for want of a better word. lol
I say! - Is the Scholl coming out. Again?
(You've got to admit- a good one for the 'Strange Coincidences' thread though.

See, I'm always providing you with material!

imagine reading this from page 1.
Most threads become more of an internal handshake than an exploration of the fortean. This has become something I can't get past, even though you are all so lovely.

Last edited:
British version; follow the twisty narrow road to the roundabout. Third exit, twist and turn some more, left at the blade of grass, right at the Nag's Head, sit at the temporary traffic lights (where no one is working and won't be for at least a month), wait for ten minutes behind a right-turner (as there's no room to get past because the road is too narrow), a few hundred more roundabouts- where lane discipline is merely a suggestion- and hey presto, you've done 20 miles in three hours. Not bad going!
And don't forget the 'turn right just opposite where that big farm used to be'....

Surely 'being visited by a fairy' can't be limited to the one occasion in which a fairy-like figure was seen in a bedroom, taking a night-time stroll across the end of the bed (whatever you want to term it), there must be other instances of fairies/pixies etc giving anyone some kind of after-dark attention???

Well there was the time my youngest came into our bed saying that there were little men in a flying hat.
I've already told about the gnomes when I had the measles.

Surely 'being visited by a fairy' can't be limited to the one occasion in which a fairy-like figure was seen in a bedroom, taking a night-time stroll across the end of the bed (whatever you want to term it), there must be other instances of fairies/pixies etc giving anyone some kind of after-dark attention???
I'm afraid that, as with ghostly visitations, I tend to discount anything that starts with 'I woke up and there was...' Too easy, especially in childhood, for dreams and half-awake misinterpretations to be built up into real incidents.

I don't include @brownmane story in this damning indictment, because it was also witnessed by her sister. But too many of these anecdotes are filled with 'I knew I wasn't dreaming because...' (some spurious reasoning which ignores the fact that dreams can be VERY realistic, especially in childhood, and also the half-dreaming, almost sleep-paralysis, state can mean that waking life intrudes on the dream state).

I'm afraid that, as with ghostly visitations, I tend to discount anything that starts with 'I woke up and there was...' Too easy, especially in childhood, for dreams and half-awake misinterpretations to be built up into real incidents.

I don't include @brownmane story in this damning indictment, because it was also witnessed by her sister. But too many of these anecdotes are filled with 'I knew I wasn't dreaming because...' (some spurious reasoning which ignores the fact that dreams can be VERY realistic, especially in childhood, and also the half-dreaming, almost sleep-paralysis, state can mean that waking life intrudes on the dream state).
Concur. I've read a number of historical accounts where the witness is ill, so fever and fever dreams also need to be factored in.

It is well worth getting a copy of "Seeing Fairies: From the Lost Archives of the Fairy Investigation Society, Authentic Reports of Fairies in Modern Times" by Marjorie T. Johnson, it's a fascinating read, whatever your beliefs.

Also, I meant to say, that these visits can't be only restricted to those nocturnal navigations? What about the daytime displays?

Damn, given the thread I was thinking that the Pole Light was the light that guided Father Christmas home, and under which the elves worked making toys.

:rollingw: I want to know if pole light is the proper name of a category (table lamp, landing lights, very light) or a description of what this particular one is. Pretty please?

Look, you lot have derailed the lovely @brownmane's fantastic 'fairy story' (no pun intended) enough now. Can we please stop this nonsense about Polish lights, footboards and if British women know/don't know the cardinal directions.

Now, British women drivers.........

From context, I would assume that a pole light is what we'd call a street light....
Yes, except in the country, there are no street lights and it is usually between the barn and house so that you can safely walk from one to the other in the dark. Don't know why street lights aren't just called pole lights:).

Country folk just talk plainer, I guess. And we wave at everyone who drives by our homes - total urban legend btw. There was a new family who moved out to the country when I was in my teens. The son informed me of this practise that his mom had told him. I laughed at him and put him right. We will wave if we know the person. It was pretty funny.

Ok more fairy questions which comes from an odd one time only incident, and I'm sure that there is a scientific explanation.

Once, after we'd had an ice storm and the trees were covered in about half inch of ice, I looked out my kitchen window (east facing :)) and the sun was shining and the ice had just started to form droplets and melt off the trees.

One tree close (20 feet) to the window was very pretty. The light reflected through the droplets and the droplets were all different colours - red, green, yellow. I tried to change my angle of sight, and the colours remained. I could have looked out my patio door to see if it was different, but didn't as I enjoyed seeing the very beautiful sight.

Never have I seen this effect again even though ice frozen on trees is not unusual. Whenever I look at melting droplets, even in the same place and tree, the light reflecting through just shows as yellowish light. No other colours.

I like to believe that there may have been little ice fairies enjoying the sun and warmth.

Back