• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Visiting Rendlesham Forest For A Skywatch

A

Anonymous

my group are doing what will be for many of them a first,a skywatch at Rendlesham this saturday night, just wondering if anyone else has been there and what they may have exoerienced, I personally have been there many times, Its the 25th anniversary this Christmas of the alledged ufo landing too !

You say you have been there many times? Have you seen anything interesting?

Skywatches to me seem a waste of time. I went on one once, and a lot of people got excited about a "star" moving across the sky in a straight line. I tried to explain that it was more likely a satellite, which can be seen 2 or 3 times every night, but some of them were skeptical of my explanation. It seemed like they would believe anything in the sky was a UFO.

It's put me off skywatching ever since. :roll:

I think people see what they want to at the end of the day, each to their own as thay say, my first paranormal experience was of seeing a UFO it drove me on to read up as much as I could on the paranormal to the point where I started a paranormal group investigating all aspects of strange phenomena ;)

.. and make sure you know in which direction lies the lighthouse ;).

Let us know how it goes.

stu neville said:

Let us know how it goes.

LOL! Nice one Stu! :lol:

stu neville said:

Let us know how it goes.

Live from Rendelsham:
Oh my god it's full of stars.......................................woosh

I live quite near Rendlesham, although I've never spent a whole night there so I can't really comment on what a skywatch would be like.
Personally I don't think I could be bothered to sit and gaze at the sky all night.

It's actually quite nice up there, I've heard a few people say that it's creepy in places and feels odd, but I've never noticed anything.
Let us know how you get on.

thanks guys, the weather is looking good for it so hopefully we shall remain in the dry so to speak, as for the lighthouse, well you cant miss it, although that said, the light from it of course dosent come across land as they have a screen up ;)

spectred-heritage said:
...as for the lighthouse, well you cant miss it, although that said, the light from it of course dosent come across land as they have a screen up ;)
I may be wrong, but I seem to recall that the light that was 'identified' was in fact a lightship, since replaced by a light bouy. Anyone got any Rendlesham books to hand?

My boss is retiring shortly, and going back to live in that area, near the River Deben.

Hope that none of the security guards turn on the old flashing lights on their vehicles either :D

Gadaffi_Duck said:
Hope that none of the security guards turn on the old flashing lights on their vehicles either :D

I doubt it, but you can expect that they will be keeping a careful eye on the group. Spectred, you may see torchlight amongst the trees, and make sure no-one panics thinking that it's the MIB! :rofl:

Sorry, just going back to my skywatch experience again!

Let us know how it went though. It would be interesting to hear about it.

no flashing lights, no torches and reasonable weather, although bug central, remeber to take repellant next time :)

well not to much seen, but easy to see still how many can become disorientated in a small area ;)

plans to go back later in the year though, shame the actual base itself is going to be finally built on, but people do need houses ;)

And the Foresty Commission is opening a UFO trail! (funded by the National Lottery)
'ET' JUST THE TICKET FOR TREKKIES!

Forest chiefs are entering the twilight zone to ensure folks don't feel spaced-out!

The Forestry Commission and Friends of the Sandlings Forest have unveiled the UK's first ever UFO trail in 2,200 acre Rendlesham Forest, near Woodbridge, Suffolk.

Back in 1980 the wood was the scene of the UK's most celebrated flying saucer incident, when American airmen from nearby RAF Woodbridge were sent to follow mysterious lights in the sky in an episode dubbed Britain's X Files.

Now a three mile waymarked route, backed by the Friends of the Sandlings Forest and £2,000 from the Lottery’s Awards for All scheme, has been built to satisfy public curiosity.

To mark the opening the Forestry Commission is staging two guided walks under its Active Woods health-initiative, led by the retired forester who witnessed the aftermath of the UFO incident, Vince Thirkettle. He’ll be showing the way on 18 and 25 August, starting out from the Rendlesham Forest Centre at 5pm. Walks cost £5 adults and £2.50 children and places must be booked on 01842 816031.

Ranger Jim Smith said:

'We're always looking for imaginative ways to get people out of their cars and into the fresh air to stay healthy so the UFO story is a gift from heaven. The new path goes past all the major landmarks, including the spot where the craft supposedly landed. A new leaflet has been produced and storyboards will be installed next year. Vince will be recounting the tale on our Active Woods walks.”

Vince Thirkettle is also set for even greater stardom as he’s set to be immortalised in a new musical to be performed in the forest! The Red Rose Chain Theatre Company is staging a two hour play called “UFO The Musical” offering an hilarious and spooky take on Rendleham’s brush with ET. Shows are at 7.30pm, 17 -21 and 24 - 28 August. To book tickets go to www.redrosechain.co.uk or call the booking number 01473 433100.

source
Mr Thirkettle is an interesting choice to lead the walks, as he apparently stated on the documentary Britain's secret UFO Hunters that the incident was caused by the lighthouse, adding "if this is the second-best story in the world, then goodness knows how bad all the others are!" I wonder if that's what he'll be telling the walkers? I'm surprised they didn't ask Brenda Butler to lead the walks: she seems to be Rendlesham's most active proponent these days.

(And incidentally, if anyone can tell me what the opening sentence "Forest chiefs are entering the twilight zone to ensure folks don't feel spaced-out!" actually means, I'll eat my hat.)

Hi, instead of starting a new thread I thought I might *bump* this one.

Every year a friend and I go camping somewhere that has some kind of Fortean element to it in order to broaden our minds. Past years have included Waylands Smithy and a supposedly haunted Roman Villa.

This year I'm planning a trip to Rendlesham Forest in summer, and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about what to do. I know there is now a UFO signposted walk (makes me cringe a bit but atleast I will know I'm at the right spots), and I've poured over a lot of the information and watched a few cheesey US "unexplained" shows on you tube to hear the transcript of the tape, as well as an OS map of the area. We will camp and usually we camp "semi-illegally" but we are very conscious never to leave mess/any sign we were there. Will this be possible at Rendlesham or should we admit we are middle aged and just camp at nearby camp site? Is the forest accessable 24 hours a day? Is it locked at night?

Any help would be much appreciated, neither of us have been there before and don't really know what to expect in terms of access etc.

Also, if anyone has any other suggestions about "Fortean" places that might be good to spend a night at, please do post. We both live in Oxfordshire but a few hours drive is fine.

Part of the conspiracy theories had it that a lot of the forest was cut down shortly after the 'incident'. But this may just have been a regular cropping for timber. Whichever, I suspect the lie of the land is somewhat different nowadays, which may make it hard to identify particular places now.

But let us know how you get on if you do go!

Thanks Rynner, it appears to be a soft wood/fast growing forest so I guess it would be odd to expect it not to have changed over so many years. I'm gonna have to do a lot more research before I go, it's a shame I don't live nearer so I could do a rec of the site. Hopefully a few more people who have been there will post to this thread!

Obviously I will give this thread another *bump* with an update upon my return (IF I return.....).

I watched a programme on Sunday called Country Tracks on BBC1 in which the presenter was taken on a "UFO" trail at Rendlesham Forest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...re - it wasn't a Chinese Lantern! :laughing:

TEELA said:
I watched a programme on Sunday called Country Tracks on BBC1 in which the presenter was taken on a "UFO" trail at Rendlesham Forest.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00l7vc8/Country_Tracks_Suffolk_Coast/
I'm really pleased you posted that!

I used to love BBC iPlayer, but after various problems I uninstalled it (I thought).

But I clicked your link, and it still worked! (Never will fathom this interweb stuff..)

It's about one of my favourite parts of the country too...

(and I wouldn't kick that presenter out of bed either! ;) )

Yes, John Craven just gets better looking with age.

gncxx said:
Yes, John Craven just gets better looking with age.
Well, if he rings your bell, fine!

But I was referring to a certain blonde young lady.... ;)

John Craven is Country File (rural issues plus the weather for the week ahead), this was Country Tracks (rural issues plus the weather for the week ahead) - totally different! :laughing:
Rynner2 - FYI that certain blonde can sometimes be seen on The One Show .

I have stayed in Orford several times and i love the area although i tend to eat too much smoked food while i'm there.

I have visited Rendlesham Forest during the day and am not sure if there is a point which you would be able to see the lighthouse (please correct me if i am wrong). I am not saying it was definately extra terrestrial but Country Tracks was pretty adamant that it was the lighthouse light.

Ah, i think because i have visited Orford & Rendlesham forest from Orford i was making an assumption that that was the lighthouse they were referring to :oops: .

HopoUK said:
You say you have been there many times? Have you seen anything interesting?

Skywatches to me seem a waste of time. I went on one once, and a lot of people got excited about a "star" moving across the sky in a straight line. I tried to explain that it was more likely a satellite, which can be seen 2 or 3 times every night, but some of them were skeptical of my explanation. It seemed like they would believe anything in the sky was a UFO.

It's put me off skywatching ever since. :roll:

maybe they should only allow people to go on these things if they can pass some kind of basic science test, like being able to tell the difference between a satelite, a high flying aircraft and the planet venus.although that might mean you get one guy sitting in the middle of a forest on his own all night.
Oh and teach them how to use a sodding camera.

Back