• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Vivid Dreams

A

Anonymous

Have you ever had dreams that are so real that you can't tell they're dreams? Ones that use all five senses, with total immersion?

For instance, I have a recurring dream of being in my childhood (teenagehood, actually) bedroom. I am in bed, it's dark, and I know there is something horrible in the room with me. I am aware that it is a severed body part, but never actually see it. Other times, something invisible pulls me out of bed and drags me around the room through the air.

The only way I can tell these dreams apart from reality (other then the fact that I rarely kept severed body parts around my room) is that I can't turn on lights. I can turn the switches, but the light won't come on.

Some dreams I'd much rather stick around in. Lovely views, superpowers, very nice. Unfortunately, they tend to be overshadowed by the really, really scary things.

The only way I can tell these dreams apart from reality (other then the fact that I rarely kept severed body parts around my room) is that I can't turn on lights. I can turn the switches, but the light won't come on.

Interesting that you should say this - I used to have repeated unpleasant dreams with a 'false awakening', the setting was in my own bedroom, nearly exactly as it is in reality but with some minor details (eg. furniture layout) changed. For some reason this was very unsettling and sinister!:confused: There was sometimes a threatening presence somewhere in the room, about to do me harm...anyway, in these dreams, the only way to escape all this unpleasantness would be to switch the light on, so that I would wake up. Trouble was, these were also sleep paralysis dreams, so I couldnt get up to turn the light on! Aargh!

Back