• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Voted most authentic ghost photograph

Ringo

I like to not get involved in these matters
1.jpg

Here's a link to an online article about the photograph that was voted "most authentic" from amongst 250 "unexplainable" photographs.

Photographed by a tourist at Tantallon Castle, the image has been examined by 3 "experts" no less ;) and found to be unmanipulated. Simulacra or similar-crap?

I had a look at the web site, I must say there are some very interesting photographs 'floating around', it's definitely worth a look. What I don't understand is they say they can tell the character is in period costume, but can say if it's male or female(!?).

I don't think though, that with a lot of these images that contain ghosts in the distance, that when you use a digital camera you are looking at a 2.5" window on the camera an arms length away and not at the subject - all sorts of things go unnoticed until you finally upload them.

I wouldn't be a sceptic, but some of these obviously can be solved.

No 6 is so obviously someone walking by wearing a striped shirt and a dark vest over it, that it hurts. The same picture has also cropped up on Ghoststudy and nobody has even remotely seen it the way it is obvious.
Heck, you can see the stripes!!!

I hate to be sceptical, but it does look a like a tourist in a coat with a fur collar. Looks more like my Gran than anything :roll: I've seen better than this...Didn't the 'girl on the staircase' get a mention? :?

the figure looks too illuminated given the fact that it is inside the building

and the surface lighting looks like a 2d painting rather than a 3d flesh person

This topic is already under discussion in New Science - Richard Wiseman.

I'm just guessing at the layout of this castle but it looks similar to something at Jedburgh Priory, where two tight spiral stair cases - flanking either side of what would have been a doorway - lead to an upstairs ledge with modern railings like that.

Consequently you could take a photo thinking nobody was there and while you went up one spiral stair case the 'figure' could come down the other and you'd never have known anyone else had been there.

Just a theory but the face in that image is so defined and clear that it surely has to be a real person who the camera owner just didn't see.

liveinabin1 said:
rynner2 said:
No, a different picture altogether, and already posted. See

http://www2.forteantimes.com/forum/view ... 649#865649
Sorry, don't visit that part of the forum.
It's worth looking at 'View posts since last visit' (link above the main FTMB Forum index) to keep up with new stuff.

Forteana is so complex that interesting stuff can crop up anywhere, and not only where you might expect it!

Back