• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Walking with Cavemen

spleek1

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Did any one watch “Walking with Cavemen” on BBC1 last night?
The one thing that stood out for me was at the start of the programme when Professor Robert Winston said that it was going to show the origins of man “as seen by science”. As opposed to….?
Call me Mr Cynic but the only reason I can see for this to be added is if it’s a get out clause for when the BBC try to sell the series to America and the American Networks get worried about the reaction of the Bible Belters.
What’s next Hollywood movies on the Second World War prefaced by “ as seen by the Allies” so as not to upset the Germans and Japanese; Gulf War news footage prefaced by “as seen by the west” so as not to upset the countries of the Middle East; or documentaries on the Holocaust prefaced by “as seen by historians” do as not to upset the White Supremacists.

Yes I spotted that bit. Worrying. I remember complaining about Walking with Dinosaurs/Beasts not saying that what they were presenting as facts was mostly conjecture. They pander to creationists, but not to the open minded.
Still, it was the funniest programme I'd seen in a long time, with the baby dangling like a rubber chicken, until it was placed on the ground, where it sprang to "life" in a Disney stylee. :D

It's already been on over here, on the Discovery channel in February.
But I'm sure your right about the disclaimer.

Why is it assumed that these protohumans were white long before they left Africa, I thought the whole point of being black was as protection from the sun, it would surely have been many generations after they migrated north that the skin colour became lighter.

It's a science programme on BBC1, and it's on after Eastenders. What did you expect? :rolleyes:

BBC1 seems to be for people who are too dumb to work out how to change channels to BBC2 or Channel 4 these days. ITV's relied on them for years.

Back