• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Was it a true OBE?

luvpixie

Junior Acolyte
About 20 years ago I used to be a regular partaker of majick mushrooms....the little liberty cap variety.There wasn`t much else for we teenagers to do where I lived and my friends and I could often be found in a farmers field on windy autumnal afternoons looking for these little dizzy buggers.
One evening I was with this group of friends after such an afternoon and we had all had a cup of mushy tea and were sitting chatting and fooling around in front of a lovely log fire.
I was sitting directly in font of the fire in a big comfy armchair,staring into the flames and generally spacing out.when I suddenly started to pull out of my skin towards the fireplace.
I found myself zooming through the fire and up the chimney and out into the air above my friends house.
Strangely I didn`t feel at all uncomfortable about any of this and was just enjoying the experience.I could see the whole street below me and my friends cat Bartholemew was sitting washing on the wall outside the front door of the house.The next-door neighbours were watching telly in thier lounge with the cutains open,(I don`t know what they were watching I could only see the flickering of the screen)and there were cars coming and going as usual on the road.Generally everything looked completely normal,except that I was seeing it from somewhere above the house.
I then noticed some other friends walking towards the house and thought about going to try and talk to them but as soon as I tried I felt myself being pulled back towards the chimney,I zoomed back down it and back through the fire into my armchair and myself.
I opened my eyes to find my friends gathered around me looking scared and shaken.They were asking me if I was ok and all.I told them I was fine and they said I`d looked as though I had stopped breathing for a minute but my eyes had been open and I was just not responding to them in any way.
I was about to tell them what I`d just experienced and the front dorr bell rang.It was the two friends I`d seen approaching the house,and what`s more,Bartholomew strolled in behind them!

Are you thinking what I thought?Was this a real OBE?

By the way,I gave up mushrooming very soon afterwards,and wouldn`t really recomend it to anyone these days.Unless they absolutely wanted to. :roll:

Yes. Probably brought on, or helped by the mushrooms.

Or it was just coincidence. Maybe you knew your friends where going, as they said they'd be there at that certain time, and that guided your little trip.

:) I should say so!

The only one I had, was when I was 16, I had taken a large overdose of Aspirin thinking I was pregnant. ( I later learned you actually have to become rather more intimate than I had been, to get pregnant! Happy Days!)

The chemicals in my distressed brain rushed me to the ceiling, where I found myself looking down on my body as I stood by my bed. My feet appeared very tiny below me. It lasted for only a few seconds.

luvpixie, yes for sure. Yours was due to the drug obviously, same way many ancients used to initiate these experiences. This is a common experience for me (done naturally of course) but I love reading about peoples first reactions to this!!! One tip I can give you if you ever get an OBE again, DO NOT, and I repeat DO NOTTTTT, attempt to fly thru, or in any close vacinity to a running television set. Trust me on this one.

I`m glad you`ve all taken me seriously on this because I was never sure whether it was a true OBE or just me hallucinating.I am sure now.
Whilst this was happening,if I`d had a voice it would have been laughing because I did feel full of joy.

It`s never happened again but thats ok....I don`t need to do it again.These days I`m happy with my feet firmly on the ground,but I`m happy I had the experience.

I would be very suspicious of anything I experienced while on a hallucinogen.

Frankly, OBE's have always bothered me since it seems that they ought to be easy to verify scientifically, yet no one has.

Dib

luvpixie, I'm hoping to head off a possible stampede of 'schoolyard bully shouting' that passes for debate these days. (Political included)
You most CERTAINLY did have an OBE !!! I've never had one personally, but many Fortean friends have told me similar stories over the years. One in particular from back in the 'wild and wooley seventies' where a mate smoked some of the evil weed, and had an OBE. Never happened again, as far as I heard. Just a spontaneous sort of experience. (Which pretty much defines a Fortean event, come to think of it.)

I have to agree, it certainly sounds like an OOBE. It has most of the classic signs of one (departure, travel, seeing onself) with the bonus of seeing other things happening that are later proved correct ( seeing your friends coming to the house). The only thing missing is the 'silver cord' and as far as I know that isn't a prerequisite.

One tip I can give you if you ever get an OBE again, DO NOT, and I repeat DO NOTTTTT, attempt to fly thru, or in any close vacinity to a running television set. Trust me on this one.

Could you elaborate on this, if that's OK?

Leaf the incurably curious :)

Human84.

Please tell me what could happen if someone having this experience went too near a running television?

And thanks for your responses everyone.

IMO it IS an OBE weather drug induced or not ...many tribes take drugs to induce them so i cant justify the taking of drugs as a dismissing factor.
I myself had an OBE when i was about 12 i was lying in bed and it felt a bit like a dream ..i floated above myself and looked down i could see my body lying in the bed but it didnt scare me i thought lets go up ...and i did i went up thru the attic (yes i seen all the insulation and shit) then up thru the roof then continued on up until i reckon a height of about 20 miles my house looked like a speck it was so far below. Then i heard a voice NO more like FELT it saying "go back its not your time" at this point i got very scared and i seemed to fall at a very fast rate back into my body ....then i woke up sweating and out of breath ......your thoughts please

Having never experienced an OBE I can't pass comment but it doesn't sound like your average 'shroom experience. I also partook when I was a teenager (perhaps we moved in the same circles... or mayb visited the same fields!) and in my experience mushroom hallucinations tend to be on the thing-that's-already-there-starting-to-look-a-bit-fractally-and-interesting side, rather than the ooh-I'm-going-up-the-chimney variety.

The fact that you had all these lucid thoughts about your friends, observing the cat, etc., and that your thoughts had a sense of continuity doesn't sound very 'shroomy, either.

Hmm, interesting! Thanks for sharing.

baddog says:
Then i heard a voice NO more like FELT it saying "go back its not your time" at this point i got very scared and i seemed to fall at a very fast rate back into my body

I once tried to induce an OBE...I think I did. I slept with my head to the North. I "woke" up, looked out of a window that would have been impossible to see out of without standing up, noted the shadows and generallly the scene at night across several backyards in the neighborhood---then the next thing I knew I was speeding along in total blackness, a point of consciousness I guess, but feeling VERY exhiliarated, (no drugs in this experiment, I might add,) and feeling totally liberated from physical constraints when I heard a voice say "Stop. You're going too fast."

I then "woke up" on the couch, and stood up and looked out the window, and all the shadows and the scene was exactly as I had "seen" it moments before.

I was about 16 when this occurred.

So luvpixie, I vote you had the real thing.

I had a similar experience, but without the mushrooms.

A friend of mine had told me that someone had been trying to break into her house the night before and that her partner had found crowbar marks on the lintel of the front door.

I was lying awake in bed worrying about it. I felt a strange feeling of seperation and lightness and realised I was floating to the ceiling. It was quite a shock, but the harder I thought about what was happening, the heavier I got and figured that in order to continue floating I had to just let it happen and only think gently about how I wanted to move. This is difficult to explain, but bear with me, please!
I though about my friend's house and 'travelled' down the streets to where she lived, alighting at her front door. I drew what I felt to be a symbol of protection in the air with my very pale looking finger and jumped over the house to do it at the back door as well. Feeling much better I returned home.

The next day I saw my friend I asked if anything had happened. She said she thought she had heard someone outside, but her parner (a man who has studied Magick for 25 years) had told her 'not to worry' - a very unusual thing to say given that they both knew someone had been trying to break in!

I explained what I had experienced and she just smiled and said - I wish you'd told me you were going to do that! :D

I had heard about OOBEs and was quite sceptical, and if my friend hadn't mentioned that she heard me and that her partner had known it was okay, I would've put it down to a dream!

I think you had the real thing too, luvpixie, the mushrooms just helped you relax enough to let it happen. :)

Human_84. What would happen if you are having an OBE and your flew through a TV set

Incubus said:
Human_84. What would happen if you are having an OBE and your flew through a TV set

ahh! Well.... since you all must know, it hurts. If you want to re-create the feeling then shrink yourself to 1 centimeter (converted for you europeans) and then climb into a wall power outlet. ok? You probably get the idea. Just dont do it, you'll regret.

Human, I don't know if it is intentional, but omg, you crack me up! The things you say sometimes....too funny! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

( not to say your fortean experiences are laughable..they certainly are not. I think it's just your delivery. Thanks for making me laugh often!)

Redhead said:
Human, I don't know if it is intentional, but omg, you crack me up! The things you say sometimes....too funny! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

( not to say your fortean experiences are laughable..they certainly are not. I think it's just your delivery. Thanks for making me laugh often!)

A shame my mother wasn't so welcoming of my humor as you and others. The things you say are not the first time I've been told that on these forums. My response is that I will be here all week. Redhead, as you may know; I am here for your entertainment. :)

Nor would I suggest flying anywhere near the no fly zone over Washington. Or, for more housebound OBE's, into a blender, toaster or bread maker. :D

I have had a few OBE's when I was about 16 years old and became quite frightened and they just stopped. I wish I hadn't been so scared of them happening as I really want to have them again now I am much older.

One thing that troubles me and probably prevents them from happening to me is that I've always wondered if any lurking entities could 'slip' into your body whilst you are having an OBE? Could this be possible?

I'd like to have an OBE too, but I don't think I'm on the Honours List. :lol:
As for an OOBE, I think I may have had one of those once (or it was a very vivid dream).

Mythopoeika said:
I'd like to have an OBE too, but I don't think I'm on the Honours List. :lol:
As for an OOBE, I think I may have had one of those once (or it was a very vivid dream).

Is there a difference between OBE and OOBE? I just thought some people were putting the 'of' in and some weren't

Ringo warns:
Nor would I suggest flying anywhere near the no fly zone over Washington. Or, for more housebound OBE's, into a blender, toaster or bread maker.

Well, now that that's off-limits, my Sunday afternoon's all shot to hell.

Elle said:
One thing that troubles me and probably prevents them from happening to me is that I've always wondered if any lurking entities could 'slip' into your body whilst you are having an OBE? Could this be possible?

Elle, no that cannot happen. Dont worry, thats a common question to ask and a lot of people wonder it. Google 'silver cord'.

jaloopa said:
Is there a difference between OBE and OOBE? I just thought some people were putting the 'of' in and some weren't

Hey, the OBE and OOBE are same. Some say tom-ahh-toe....[/quote]

Hey, the OBE and OOBE are same. Some say tom-ahh-toe....[/quote

Thank flip for that!

I was feeling like a right wazzok for sayin OBE for a while there!

I am however, completely stoked to have had my very own fortean experience no matter it was so long ago.It`s one more than lots of folks and I just feel privillaged......

:D

Back