• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Watch Out: Beadlebubs About (Jeremy Beadle)

Bilderberger

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Originally posted on some thread about TV programmes. Now extracted for it's own thread (with amendments).

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by beakboo
Don't forget, Fortis, that Jeremy Beadle is a fortean.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is he?

I have often read this on this board - mainly referenced to his appearance on a Fortean Studies subscriber list. (see any thread discussing Fortean Studies on this board - someone is guaranteed to mention it).

Are we sure that it is the TV Jeremy Beadle?

Or could it be this Jeremy Beadle who has an interest in Fortean matters....

http://www.oxmust.co.uk/personal/jeremy.htm

The other Fortean reference to Beadle is an appearance at an early Uncon. Now, flicking through the references via Google - there is not a single first hand account. So, could this rumour have started due to the above Jeremy J Beadle being at this Uncon - someone being told "oh yeah, Jeremy Beadle was there" and the assumption being that it was the TV Beadle?

Is this an urban legend being furthered by this very board without us knowing?

Am hoping to be proved wrong in my theory. Beadle doesn't seem a bad chap when out of his "prankster" personality and I love the rumours that he is willing to appear on BAD TV in order to fund his Fortean library.

So, does anyone have any first hand evidence? Did anyone actually witness the TV Jeremy Beadle at Uncon?

As an aside, the fact that a Jeremy Beadle only made one appearance at Uncon and never appeared in Fortean Studies again may be due to the fact that my Jeremy J Beadle passed away in 1995.

Otherwise, we would have to explain why the TV Jeremy Beadle has shunned Fortean contact since the early/mid 90's (when he was at the height of his fame)....

Update - After reviewing more discussion of Beadle on this board - I have noticed that there are references to Ken Campbell talking about Beadle's Fortean interests.... Can anyone provide any evidence? This would be of great assistance. Thanks.

Edit - I refer to this thread...

http://www.forteantimesmag.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1368

[Emp edit: Link no longer works but this has been mentioned a few times:

www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 083#300083
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 816#299816
www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=50429#50429 ]

Lopaka/Anome - were you left in any doubt that this was Beadle the TV prankster? Sorry to come across so demanding and obsessive - just that it may be of assisance to me.

Once again - many thanks!

Ha ha - I'm one step ahead!

Even so, any definite confirmations of his Fortean interests would be great!

I don't hink there is any need - The Beadle watches over us all. He sees all and knows all and is probably pulling some elaborate prank on you right now ;)

I do wonder about the library story and if his interests influened any of his pranks. I assume they must have done ghost/polt type things on people and the most spectacular and disturbing one i saw was where they pretended an alien spaceship had landed. You could see the woman was one the verge of losing her mind and she was egged on by authority figures to try and placate the alien by sinigng to it. I do sometimes wonder if he was trying to make a point about social control, how people react when confronted with the utterly uncanny, etc. but I also suspect it could just have easily been concocted by one of the production staff and I'm reading too much into the whole thing ;)

Emps

I remember one where some guy delivered a package to the headquarters of a religious cult and when he arrived, all the cult members became hysterical, saying that he was the re-incarnation of their god. The bloke was having none of it, until a curtain was pulled back to reveal a sacred image of the god, who bore a striking resemblance to the victim of the prank. Worrying thing was, after seeing this, the delivery guy looked like he was starting to believe it all...

Now, this is going back into the mists of time, but about 20-odd years ago I remember a prog on BBC about inventions and curiousities featuring a young Mr Beadle (before the prank prog stuff kicked off).

If so, it is a slender, ever so slender link between Beadle and the outer reaches of Forteana.

Now, what John doesn't know is that a hellhound has been tethered in the back seat of his Ford Sierra while a Grey is busy impregnating his wife with alien seed...*Sniggers to camera*

:D

Alexius said:
Now, this is going back into the mists of time, but about 20-odd years ago I remember a prog on BBC about inventions and curiousities featuring a young Mr Beadle (before the prank prog stuff kicked off).

If so, it is a slender, ever so slender link between Beadle and the outer reaches of Forteana.

Would that programme have been 'Eureka!', with the mighty Wilf Lunn (who I also remember on ITV's 'Fantastic Facts' with Jonathan Ross)?

Beadle's hugely impressive Fortean library was mentioned by Ken Campbell at the UnCon two years ago, I think he might even have seen it himself. That was the first I heard of it, but I believe him.

He referred to his library it a few times during the phone-in prog he used to host on LBC many years ago before "Game for a Laugh" as I mentioned in the earlier thread linked above.
If, I remember correctly, he had a particular interest in murderers and I guess, serial killers , though the term was hardly used in those days, if at all. That would have been late 70s, early 80s.

"For many years he worked with American author Irving Wallace on seven million-selling reference books, including The People's Almanac and the Book of Lists"

Given the nature of the Book of Lists etc, it helps if you have a lot of reference books in a lot of subjects, often bizarre or obscure.

I remember seeing Beadle himself at either the first or second Uncon and he did seem to be buying a few books from the merchandise stalls at the time, so the story of the library strikes me as being totally plausible.

On the radio the other day the DJ said that she had met Jeremy Beadle - she said he had removed his swimming pool to make room for his serial killer books.

Probably a misunderstanding of his collection but another indicaiton that he has an impressive library.

Wasn't more 'mainstream' Forteana (cryptozoology/puzzles/esoteric history and science, that manner of thing) pretty much Beadle's gimmick in his early radio/tv days? (prior to Game for a laugh/Beadle's about)

Any chance of FT approaching Herr Beadle to write the occasional article? May be worth a punt...

Whistling Jack said:
Any chance of FT approaching Herr Beadle to write the occasional article? May be worth a punt...

What makes you think he isn't already? ;)

Emperor said:
Whistling Jack said:

I wonder which hand he's using...

The Yithian said:
Emperor said:
Whistling Jack said:

I wonder which hand he's using...

Its the Jeremy Beadle Law of Internet Discussion:

The number of posts required after the mention of his name and before the mention of his hand shall not exceed 12 (with an average of 3).

And, just for the record, I'm not Jeremy Beadle. And neither is my wife.

So it's just @Yithian and me on this thread, and even poor Jeremy has left us. His passing and later his grave have been discussed though.

Anyway... someone sent me photos of laminated labels they see on their walk to work in the West Midlands.

I assumed they were from some gardener's van because there was a rose named after him but I may have misremembered this as there's no trace of such news online. So I'm stumped.

Here are the photos -

Beadle 1.jpgBeadle 2.jpgBeadle 3.jpgBeadle 4.jpgBeadle 5.jpgBeadle 6.jpgBeadle 7.jpgBeadle 8.jpg

It would be his greatest prank if he was still alive.

Did I miss the cross-over from Beadlebub to Beelzebub ?

I went through a period of devouring every Rippercast in the archive and enjoyed them greatly.

Having been away from the site for eighteen months or more, I'm delighted to see that a host of archive media, such as that below, has been uploaded.

blank.gif
Rippercast: The Whitechapel Murders Podcast
LBC Radio 20 August 2003 with Jeremy Beadle, Paul Begg, Paul Feldman, Andy Aliffe and Christopher-Michael DiGrazia

May 8th, 2019
Duration: 02:14:41

We are pleased to be able to bring to you yet another release from the Audio Archives.

LBC Radio call-in show from 20 August 2003 hosted by Jeremy Beadle with guests Paul Begg, Paul Feldman, Andy Aliffe and Christopher-Michael DiGrazia.

Stream or download here:
http://www.casebook.org/podcast/listen.html?id=225

Most of this isn't quite Fortean, but I think members here will enjoy this documentary

Jeremy Beadle visits the 'Crime Through Time' Museum at the Littledean Jail in Gloucestershire and narrates a series of legal and criminal landmarks.

It's not just pop-nonsense, either--tons of little facts that were new to me.

Bonus: lengthy narration by Tom Baker.

I thought I had posted about this here before but maybe not.

Among the many TV programmes my father worked on were Beadles About and also Game For A Laugh.
He enjoyed working on the vehicle related pranks.
They were a bugger to set-up though.

Back