• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Watch out Westies! -Big cat thriving in Sydney

sunsplash1

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Big cat may be stalking western Sydney

It has long been considered a rural myth but scientists are examining new evidence that a large cat - potentially a jaguar - is thriving in some parts of New South Wales.

There are now 220 sightings of a big cat in the western Sydney suburbs around the Hawkesbury.

Scientist Rob Close, from the University of Western Sydney, says paw marks indicate there is strong evidence it may be an exotic cat species.

"There are some big paw marks that have been identified that have been identified as panther identifications," he said.

A large number of domestic animals, including goats and dogs have been savaged in the area.

Resident Michael Williams says the kills are too big to be the work of a domestic dog or cat.

"We're dealing with an animal that's eating out 20 to 40 kilograms in a sitting," he said.

The State Government is examining the data.

Last Update: Thursday, July 27, 2006. 11:09am (AEST)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200607/s1698320.htm
Pawprint Cast
r97021_294201.jpg

Wait until it takes down a bogan!

I wonder if it's a single healthy cat. Seems more likely than someone releasing a breeding pair, successfully breeding and proliferating. Like the terminolgy in the articles suggested, if it was a large one thriving, i wouldn't put this number of sightings out of the range of possibility at all. Near here we have coyotes that seem to have adapted to living in the suburbs , eating domestic animals (easy targets i'd imagine, being fat, well fed, and pampered) frequently. My ex girl and i once spotted one moving down a busy road of a heavily populated suburb, aware we were watching it, and only mildly disturbed by us. You would have thought it was a dog except that the way they move is different. They sort of bounce along. We finally lost sight of it when it went down a one way street, but i was thinking at the time, as i looked at backyards with chained small dogs, and numerous roaming cats, "I'd live here too if i was a coyote".

:D Since it's in Australia-really,really one of my favourite subjects-If you haven't noticed yet(canyoutellwhatitis,yit?)I think I know what it is.

It's a pantherus hexapodus noctiluminus.Obviously.

I wouldn't spoil my own pleasure by telling you it in English. ;)

robbo616 said:
It's a pantherus hexapodus noctiluminus.Obviously.
Let's see...six footed, glow in the dark panther?

Then again, it could just be a publicity stunt for the Penrith Leagues Club.

:) You got it,Anome!

Because it's Australia,it's probably venomous,too.

You aren't suggesting I change the English language EVERYWHERE just so you can have rabbitous rather than venomous,are you?

These Antipodeans.Just got no idea about anything.

Back