• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

We Won't Stop Growing Taller

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I read in a Reader's Digest book years ago that people in the twentieth century were on average taller than those in the nineteenth century. That in fact we were getting taller as a population as time went on.

Does this mean people in the twenty-first century will be taller than those in the twentieth? Or is this not true at all?

It's all about Diet.

The modern diet has better nutrition than in previous centuries, but any time the diet starts to go protien and calcium heavy people get taller - witness the effect of a westernised diet on the Japanese.

People are taller and broader than they were even a few decades ago, because of improved nutrition etc. Presumably there must be some sort of upper limit on this though. I don't know if we've reached it yet. Possibly the relatively poor nutrition which a lot of children get now will mean the next generations may even be shorter than recent ones. Who knows?

In a similar vein I read somewhere years ago that the lowering of the average age of female puberty was due to better nutrition and general living conditions such as central heating.

-

I wish designers of buses and trains would take this into consideration. If the aisle on these vehicles gets any smaller due to 'bigger' people hanging off the edges of their seats, then you're going to get a tightrope lesson free with every travel ticket you buy.

I suspect that there's a maximum size in height for bi-peds.

something to do with the weight of the body and energy required to move it or possibly the ability of muscles to move it all efficiently. (hmm guessing a bit there!)

all the really big mammals are quadrupeds - so maybe if we continue to get bigger we'll have to start going round on all fours?

Very tall people have problems associated with their height. Joint problems, brittle bones, muscular problems, spinal problems.

It's just that humans are not currently designed to be 10 feet tall.
It is (or was) possible for bipedal creatures to be really big - look at the dinosaurs for an example (mind you, I think that may have been possible because of a higher percentage of oxygen in the air).

If we do eventually evolve to be that tall, then other parts of our physiology will have to change as well - i.e. thicker bones, bigger muscles and huge lung capacity.

I think our environment will ultimately be what defines the limits on our growth.

Mythopoeika said:
Very tall people have problems associated with their height. Joint problems, brittle bones, muscular problems, spinal problems.

The young lead guitarist in my band is pretty tall, around 6ft 5in and has no end of back problems and spends a lot of his time having to sit in a chair.

I, on the other hand, am a rather diminutive 5ft 3in and when we stand together it always looks like the cover of Fleetwood Mac's 'Rumours' album!

jefflovestone said:
The young lead guitarist in my band is pretty tall, around 6ft 5in and has no end of back problems and spends a lot of his time having to sit in a chair.

I, on the other hand, am a rather diminutive 5ft 3in and when we stand together it always looks like the cover of Fleetwood Mac's 'Rumours' album!

I have a similar problem. I'm 5ft 3in and my husband is 6ft 4in!

Mythopoeika said:
It is (or was) possible for bipedal creatures to be really big - look at the dinosaurs for an example (mind you, I think that may have been possible because of a higher percentage of oxygen in the air)
There can't have been much more O2 in the air - I'm sure I've read somewhere that the world (or large areas of it) would be much more likely to burst into flames if O2 were any higher than it is now, so the current level is about the highest sustainable.

rynner said:
Mythopoeika said:
It is (or was) possible for bipedal creatures to be really big - look at the dinosaurs for an example (mind you, I think that may have been possible because of a higher percentage of oxygen in the air)
There can't have been much more O2 in the air - I'm sure I've read somewhere that the world (or large areas of it) would be much more likely to burst into flames if O2 were any higher than it is now, so the current level is about the highest sustainable.

I found this article:

http://uwnews.washington.edu/ni/article.asp?articleID=9592

"Atmospheric oxygen content, about 21 percent today, was a very rich 30 percent in the early Permian period. However, previous carbon-cycle modeling by Robert Berner at Yale University has calculated that atmospheric oxygen began plummeting soon after, reaching about 16 percent at the end of the Permian and bottoming out at less than 12 percent about 10 million years into the Triassic period."

OK, perhaps I was wrong about the higher concentration during the time of the dinosaurs - but the atmosphere has been up to 30% oxygen at one time (i.e. before the dinosaurs appeared).

That leaves me baffled as to how creatures could have got so huge, with oxygen levels lower than those of today.

mindalai said:
People are taller and broader than they were even a few decades ago, because of improved nutrition etc. Presumably there must be some sort of upper limit on this though.
Human giants generally have big pain and circulation problems, and poor nerve communication between their head and their feet.

If there's a trend towards taller people, won't evolution favour those with more robust skeletons and greater muscle density?

(Not put very well, but you know what I mean)

So more big people will lead to even more big people, and more even bigger people, until... :?:

evolution will only favour those who reproduce themselves more than other people.

if extremely tall humans suffer from all manner of ailments then they're unlikely to be as successful in the reporductive stakes as shorter people.

currently there is no benefit to people from being greatly above average height. Where people may grow much taller might be in places of lower gravity (perhaps on long distance space flights??)

Mal_Adjusted said:
currently there is no benefit to people from being greatly above average height. Where people may grow much taller might be in places of lower gravity (perhaps on long distance space flights??)

Men who are above average height seem to get laid more often than those of average (or below average) height, so perhaps the women who like them see some kind of primitive evolutionary advantage...

I've just remembered that I read somewhere that women are getting shorter in proportion to men. The explanation put forward seemed to be that women prefer tall men and men prefer small women (generally speaking of course). So short-woman genes and tall-men genes were the ones more likely to be passed on. I'll try and find the article I read, although it was a few years ago.

mindalai said:
I've just remembered that I read somewhere that women are getting shorter in proportion to men. The explanation put forward seemed to be that women prefer tall men and men prefer small women (generally speaking of course). So short-woman genes and tall-men genes were the ones more likely to be passed on. I'll try and find the article I read, although it was a few years ago.

That's an interesting point.
Wouldn't that ultimately lead to pregnancy complications, as baby boys got larger and women got smaller?

Mythopoeika said:
mindalai said:

That's an interesting point.
Wouldn't that ultimately lead to pregnancy complications, as baby boys got larger and women got smaller?

Oof! External wombs are going to be the next 'too posh to push'!

*Puts on geek hat*
The size of the baby at birth is down to the woman's genes and physiology, not the father's input. My chap is 6'3' and was a very small baby.
Wait... Women prefer to sleep with tall men... A ruse to reproduce more... That's how I ended up like this, it's evolution not recklessness!!

This isn't the same article I referred to earlier but it's in a similar vein (my emphasis):

Size does matter ­– at least when it comes to having children. Research published in Proceedings B, a journal of the Royal Society, suggests that taller-than-average men and shorter-than-average women were more likely to attract a mate and have children.

Dr. Daniel Nettle of the Open University used data from 10,000 men and women born in Britain in one week in March 1958, and his study concluded that the taller the men were, the less likely they were to be unmarried or childless 42 years later in 2000. This appeared to be due to taller men’s greater ability to attract a mate.

Dr. Nettle’s study showed that there was a positive relationship between male stature and reproductive success: The average man of 5 feet 8 inches is less likely to have children than a taller man of 6 feet 1 inch.

For the women, by contrast, those most likely to be married and have children by the same age were between 4 feet 9 inches and 5 feet 1 inch, well below the average height of 5 feet 3 inches. Dr. Nettle explained that shorter women appear to have greater reproductive success partly because there is delayed fertility among tall women. Short women generally reach puberty earlier while the bodies of tall women spend more energy on growing rather than entering puberty.

It seems that tall men and petite women are favored in evolutionary terms, even in a modern population, so the height difference between men and women is unlikely to disappear,” says Dr. Nettle. (08-20-02)

source

So if this 'tall men and short women' thing is true, what do the rest of us (men and women alike) do?
Do men of short or average height go out with women who are tall, or are we all doomed to be single?

Tall women and short men seem to be defying the evolutionary urges or something.

Speaking for myself, I'm the same height as Tom Cruise (5 feet 8 inches), but for years I've been rejected for not being tall enough.

So what type of women go for men who are short or of average height? This question has baffled me for many a long year.

By chance we had two very tall women in the shop the other day. Both had husbands, and both wanted size 9 (UK) footwear.

One bought a pair of expensive boots, but the other wanted shoes, and we didn't have anything feminine enough in that size!

FWIW, the second woman also had two young children with her.
(Another exception that proves the rule?)

When my son was born (1981) we were told by our doctor, as a well-known fact, that most boys grow taller than their mothers.

Though I believe that women prefer taller men, and that men prefer shorter women, I also have found that they prefer those who are within six inches or so of their own height. I think we're pretty close to an equilibrium in the US, as far as human height goes, but that's just speculation. ;)

I'm a fairly tall guy at 6''6' and must admit that I prefer short girls. So does most other tall guys it would seem from my experience. It is kind of unfair on the shorter guys I suppose. Danes are among the tallest in europe(those damned Dutch seem to be surpassing us), and apparently the vikings were also very tall for their time. Wether is has remained that way during that time, or if we went shorter I don´t know.
What women like might not just be the height in itself. I read an article once which claimed that business leaders was on average an inch taller than the country average. Which country exactly I don't remember, but probably America or England. And I could well imagine being slightly taller would help you get respect in the business world, and so help you get higher up in the system. So it might not be the height, just the good old desire for men with money and social status.
I think the proportion between males and females in animals is supposed to be one of the indicators of how their social structure works. "Free sex societies" will have males and females of about the same height. Societies with number of females mates being unequal tends to have bigger males than females.

when we all reach several mile high, everyone could move to australia and throw the earth off its axis.

well its a thought anyhow!

Xanatico said:
I'm a fairly tall guy at 6''6' and must admit that I prefer short girls. So does most other tall guys it would seem from my experience. It is kind of unfair on the shorter guys I suppose. Danes are among the tallest in europe(those damned Dutch seem to be surpassing us), and apparently the vikings were also very tall for their time. Wether is has remained that way during that time, or if we went shorter I don´t know.
What women like might not just be the height in itself. I read an article once which claimed that business leaders was on average an inch taller than the country average. Which country exactly I don't remember, but probably America or England. And I could well imagine being slightly taller would help you get respect in the business world, and so help you get higher up in the system. So it might not be the height, just the good old desire for men with money and social status.
I think the proportion between males and females in animals is supposed to be one of the indicators of how their social structure works. "Free sex societies" will have males and females of about the same height. Societies with number of females mates being unequal tends to have bigger males than females.

This is true - taller men are more likely to become successful, because people have a tendency to give taller men more respect. It doesn't mean that they make better leaders or businessmen, it's just that people tend to be more deferential towards tall men.
It's almost as if taller men have been handed success on a plate.
This can make very short men aggressive and ambitious, as they try to compete.

"This is true - taller men are more likely to become successful, because people have a tendency to give taller men more respect. It doesn't mean that they make better leaders or businessmen, it's just that people tend to be more deferential towards tall men.
This can make very short men aggressive and ambitious, as they try to compete."

Quote.

Yep,which is why you end up with people like Hitler,Napolean & Bush.Some people think it's penis size...well,I don't know about that...but I do know they were/are all below average height!So,basically it's all the woman's fault for prefering taller men!!think of the Millions of lives that could have been saved>so,ladies due your duty for the good of humanity & switch to short men...by the way I'm 5'6".

waitew said:
"This is true - taller men are more likely to become successful, because people have a tendency to give taller men more respect. It doesn't mean that they make better leaders or businessmen, it's just that people tend to be more deferential towards tall men.
This can make very short men aggressive and ambitious, as they try to compete."

Quote.

Yep,which is why you end up with people like Hitler,Napolean & Bush.Some people think it's penis size...well,I don't know about that...but I do know they were/are all below average height!So,basically it's all the woman's fault for prefering taller men!!think of the Millions of lives that could have been saved>so,ladies due your duty for the good of humanity & switch to short men...by the way I'm 5'6".

I agree with this totally. :lol:

As for the penis size issue... well, there's no real correlation between height and penis size, but I've noticed that many women seem to fall for this misconception every time. There are plenty of short men who are well endowed.

Mythopoeika said:
As for the penis size issue... well, there's no real correlation between height and penis size, but I've noticed that many women seem to fall for this misconception every time. There are plenty of short men who are well endowed.

Oh its not height but shoe size apparently... I have only met one tall bigfoot who was hung like a squirrel. All the rest, tall or short, seem to correlate quite accurately re foot size.(Yes, I had a very misspent youth). The smallest willy I ever saw was on a guy who was of a reasonable height but also had very small girlie feet. It was a very small willy.
FWIW my chap takes a size 13 shoe... ;)

kirmildew said:
The smallest willy I ever saw was on a guy who was of a reasonable height but also had very small girlie feet. It was a very small willy.
FWIW my chap takes a size 13 shoe... ;)
Stand by for this topic to be split off into a new thread! :D

Back