• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Web Site Of Mundane Things

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Many years ago I stumbled across a web site that catalogued mundane details of modern life that we generally don't put in writing: things like "VCRs have built-in timers that allow people to record specific shows at a future time, but some people find it difficult to program" or "Stores often begin to display wares specific to Christmas in early November." (These are rather poor examples; many of the real ones were much more mundane.) The idea was to keep this information alive for future generations of historians, storytellers, etc.

I thought of it because I saw some graffiti that said "Flatten the Curve" and it took me a while to remember that this was a popular catchphrase a year and a half ago to encourage people to not spread COVID-19. It might be nice to have one place to look for details of life during the pandemic, right after 9/11, etc., that are already fading from memory.

Does anyone know if this web site still exists, and if so, what the URL is?

I understand the thrust of such archiving of mundane details, but I'm at a loss to identify a site that compiled such things in a structured fashion.

Can you come up with any more clues concerning the site you recall?

It was, at the time (early- to mid-1990s?) mostly in the formative stages, soliciting submissions from the public, which I believe were categorized. I don't believe it was anything like a wiki, just submissions as they were submitted. It had the same bare-bones feel as the I Can Eat Glass Project (archived here) and I fear has met the same fate.

Back