• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Local Traditions

Seeing this thread bumped has reminded me of a slightly odd tradition we have here.

The largest church in town (Launceston) is St Mary Magdalene. There's a statue of her reclining on one outside wall, and it's the tradition that you throw a pebble over your shoulder and try and get it to to stay on her back. It's supposed to mean a gift of new clothes or money, or perhaps just be ' good luck'.

I once threw a pebble up, and it dislodged a two pence piece, so it's obviously true ;) I still do it every time I go past, despite being an out and out atheist, and to the embarrassment of my teenage son, if he's with me! I don't want these precious, quirky traditions to die out just because no-one believes in them any more :)

And from near my neck of the woods we have the annual black pudding throwing championship. Just so that all you from over the pond can confirm that we are indeed strange. Who would want to be normal anyway?
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...black-pudding-throwing-championships-10000870

G'day Spud, I spent a month or so travelling throughout Britain, after sixty odd years in the colonies, and found that you still have dandelion and burdock, licorice root and the regional difference of black pudding between counties.

After savouring great amounts o' black puddin', I believe that the more crumbly types darn sarf must needs be thrown in a non-general direction.

After realising that this hoying takes place in Lancashire, it confirms my opinion, but raises the question, could this be the origins for that meal, toad in hole, so detested by us Mullen kids?

Interesting idea re: Toad In The Hole. The article I quoted claims that the black pudding throwing is a 'friendly' reference to the War Of The Roses, hence knocking a stack of Yorkshire Puddings off. Proper black pudding should be from Bury to us Lancashire folk.

And don't forget Marmite. ;)

...could this be the origins for that meal, toad in hole, so detested by us Mullen kids?

Whoooahh! Steady on old chap. Let's just rewind a bit here...

Toad in the Hole? Detested?

Sausages, batter and a very weird name...apart from the fact that it doesn't involve tea, I'd say that was about as good a definition of Britishness as I've ever heard. Detested, indeed!?

(Be careful in France, though; we Brits have a great love of metaphor, but in France if you ask for Toad in the Hole, you probably will get served a toad in some kind of hole.)

Mother were always a bit light on sausages when it came t' Toad in 'ole, renderin' us chaps wi' great planks o' batter, wi' sod all sausage..Now, when she were a lass, Toad in 'ole were exactly that, served cold, and she 'ad to find toad and 'ole in common, wi' Spears and Jackson number 4, aye, wi' brass rivets, twenty mile away it were, an' they 'ad none o' this jumped up swanky cookin'...

Now, when Grandad were a Lad...

Padstow prepares for annual 'Obby 'Oss invasion
By cg_graham | Posted: May 01, 2016

Thousands of people are preparing to visit Padstow tomorrow ( Monday May 2) for the town's Obby Oss festival.

Yesterday, volunteers were encouraged to pick up litter and tidy the narrow streets to help welcome visitors – many of whom will have travelled the world for their annual pilgrimage. In previous years the event has brought more than 30,000 into the town.
Unlike some of the more recent festivals, which have been designed to be commercial as much as cultural attractions, the Obby Oss event is a centuries-old very local tradition whose origins are lost in the mists of time.

While some bed-and-breakfast businesses, and certainly the pubs, see a boost in trade, several other businesses take a very relaxed view of the event and some shops actually close. The day involves much music, dancing and drinking – but any wider economic benefit is coincidental. In previous years when May Day falls on a weekday, the local school has been closed and many local people regard the Obby Oss festival as an unofficial public holiday.

Some people from outside of Padstow have even claimed "religious exemption" as grounds for taking their children out of school so that they could attend. :twisted:

The festival centres around the two "Osses" – representations of the "old" horse and the "new," now wearing red ribbons and blue ribbons, and their attempts to catch a maiden. There are associations with fertility and renewal, and the event is thought to have distant roots with the ancient Celtic festival of Beltane.

Local historian John Buckingham, President of the Padstow Old Cornwall Society, said the festival had undergone many changes over the centuries. In 1820 one author described "an annual jubilee" in which "the inhabitants dress up a man in a horse's skin, and lead him through the different streets."

Before the First World War there was only one hobby horse in Padstow, the old oss, but in 1919 the blue ribbon obby oss - also known as the "temperance oss" - was introduced. Its supporters tried to discourage the drunkenness associated with the custom. In 1837 some residents tried to outlaw the firing of pistols in the air on May Day.

"It has always been very spectacular," said Mr Buckingham, "but it's never really been about attracting tourists into town. It's organised by local people, for local people. It really is very unusual."

May Day in Padstow officially begins at midnight when a groups of "mayers" meet outside the Golden Lion Inn to serenade the owner with their Night Song. By dawn, people busy themselves decorating streets and shop windows.

Around mid morning on May Day each year the children will be getting ready for their special dance which takes place before the main 11am dance.

The "osses" then swirl and dance through the town, taunted by a "Teazer," who leads the dance with theatrical movements. The crowd follows the "oss," dressed all in white with their costumes decorated with ribbons and sprays of cowslips and bluebells.

Visitors should note that although Padstow's car parks in the old town centre are closed to traffic on the day, the town council, and Cornwall council car parks remain open.

Padstow Town Council said: "Parking is available in The Town Council's Lawns and Railway Car Parks. Access to the larger car park nearest the town [Railway Car Park] will be maintained via Station Road as normal.

"There has been confusion in past years but The Lawns and Railway Car Parks are open on May Day and every day. Any queries regarding Padstow Town Council car parks please visit our website at http://www.padstow-tc.gov.uk/local-services/town-council-car-parks/"

There is a field at the top of the town near the Tesco supermarket where a park and ride service is available. You can also park in the village of Rock across the estuary and take the regular ferry across to Padstow.

http://www.cornishguardian.co.uk/Pa...Oss-invasion/story-29200303-detail/story.html

The Wikipedia page about morris dancing suggest the roots might come from several places incuding, Spain, Portugal, Romania, Bulgaria and Serbia. Other speculations suggest Dacia by the Celts.

Chelmsford Morris group's 'fit, mildly eccentric men' plea

_93649924_chelmsfordmorrisinchelmsford.jpg

A decades-old Morris dancing group says it desperately needs "fit, mildly eccentric men" to join in order to keep going.
Chelmsford Morris was founded in 1972 and currently has about 30 members.
However, the vast majority of members are now women :eek: and some male members are expected to retire soon.

Club bagman Celia Kemp said the the situation meant "the men of Chelmsford Morris may have to stop dancing in 2017 because of a shortage of dancers".
"The women's side is doing really quite well," she said. "They are going from strength to strength.
"But we really need some younger people to join. We have nine grown up sons between us and none of them have taken up Morris dancing.
"We would like people who have perhaps got fed up with the gym and who want to try something new - it is also such a good social life.
"Eccentricity is not a requirement but is usually the definition of a Morris dancer."

Dances usually involve six or eight men. But the club currently has seven male dancers who can perform most of the dances.
"That is really pushing it," says Ms Kemp, "because people have lives outside Morris and you need people in reserve."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-38663448

Chelmsford Morris group's 'fit, mildly eccentric men' plea

_93649924_chelmsfordmorrisinchelmsford.jpg

A decades-old Morris dancing group says it desperately needs "fit, mildly eccentric men" to join in order to keep going.
Chelmsford Morris was founded in 1972 and currently has about 30 members.
However, the vast majority of members are now women :eek: and some male members are expected to retire soon.

Club bagman Celia Kemp said the the situation meant "the men of Chelmsford Morris may have to stop dancing in 2017 because of a shortage of dancers".
"The women's side is doing really quite well," she said. "They are going from strength to strength.
"But we really need some younger people to join. We have nine grown up sons between us and none of them have taken up Morris dancing.
"We would like people who have perhaps got fed up with the gym and who want to try something new - it is also such a good social life.
"Eccentricity is not a requirement but is usually the definition of a Morris dancer."

Dances usually involve six or eight men. But the club currently has seven male dancers who can perform most of the dances.
"That is really pushing it," says Ms Kemp, "because people have lives outside Morris and you need people in reserve."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-38663448
If women want to take this tradition over, I'm all for it .. I can't stand Morris dancers ..

If women want to take this tradition over, I'm all for it .. I can't stand Morris dancers ..
A female friend used to do it but eventually gave it up because of her back problems.
The thing is, as she told me, Morris dancing is supposed to be a pagan fertility dance that is just done by men. The idea being that (as men) they fertilise the land with their 'seed'. Traditionally, most of the Morris dancers would be involved in agriculture.

I lived and worked in Bury for most of my working life and had contact
with the abattoir, the blood from animals was at that time stored in bins
and used as one of the main ingredients of black puddings, the slaughter
men also used to relieve themselves into theres bins and this could be why
they don't taste quit the same these days.

Whoooahh! Steady on old chap. Let's just rewind a bit here...

Toad in the Hole? Detested?

I loved TITH as a kid and it's one of the few meals I've missed as a vegetarian.

However, it can be made perfectly well with veggie/Quorn sausages and tastes just the same smothered in ketchup/baked beans/sloppy peas/veggie gravy/all of the above.

When was this? When I worked on t'GPO back in the '70s practically every postman (they were still mostly blokes back then) had a huge slice of black pud on a bap every day in the works canteen. They swore by it!

I loved TITH as a kid and it's one of the few meals I've missed as a vegetarian.

However, it can be made perfectly well with veggie/Quorn sausages and tastes just the same smothered in ketchup/baked beans/sloppy peas/veggie gravy/all of the above.

Auntie Bessie makes a nice veggie TitH, or they did, I can't find it anymore.

Late 60's they did taste good though on a cold day walking round t outside
market with mum.

Easy to make, though. Just bangers & batter. You don't even need to make the batter yourself as you can buy it ready-done.

I'm tempted now!

Now I know why I never liked black pudding... ewww.

Easy enough to but I find a lot of veggies sausages are anodyne and also very fatty. The best ones I've found are:

https://www.cauldronfoods.co.uk/products/range/lincolnshire-vegetarian-sausages

I've no idea why so much veggie stuff is so bland - I suppose it's a hangover from the days where where was no choice, but honestly, what's stopping them putting some flavour in some of the veggie burgers or sausages.

Easy enough to but I find a lot of veggies sausages are anodyne and also very fatty. The best ones I've found are:

I've no idea why so much veggie stuff is so bland - I suppose it's a hangover from the days where where was no choice, but honestly, what's stopping them putting some flavour in some of the veggie burgers or sausages.
Absolutely right. Plenty of things they could do to add taste.

I dunno, back when I used to enjoy veggie fry-ups (veggie sausage, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, with baked beans and granary baps and butter) I'd cover everything in ketchup so it could have been real sausages for all I knew!

This delicious meal is out of favour these days. I lost half a stone in a couple of weeks when I stopped eating it about twice a week a few years ago.

Don't half miss it. :(

MrsCarlos is veggie, so I pretty much am too.

The vegetarian stuff she finds tastes incredible! There are some pulled-pork style burgers which are almost identical to meat, they are great broken up and put in a stir-fry or summat.

The days of bland Quorn and facon are over.

Yeah, Cauldron is my veggie sausage of choice, it goes very well with a halloumi veg bake or sausage pasta. But I find something tasty to eat every meal, and none of it involves meat, although I don't rely on ready meals for each one. Waitrose do a nice veggie ravioli or lasagne, for example, handy if you don't have time to prepare a meal (or can't be bothered that night). The baked potato is a design classic, of course.

The trouble with a lot of veggie brands is they try to do meat substitutes that taste like meat - Linda McCartney is bad for this. If I wanted my food to taste meaty, I'd eat meat!

I miss toad in the hole now I'm vegan.

I can make Yorkshire puddings, but for some reason it doesn't rise very well in a big tin, only in the little bun tin size (even then they don't puff up like real ones, but they do rise and taste like Yorkshires). I suppose the lack of egg makes the batter a lot less stable, so it can't hold it's weight up.

I miss toad in the hole now I'm vegan.

I can make Yorkshire puddings, but for some reason it doesn't rise very well in a big tin, only in the little bun tin size (even then they don't puff up like real ones, but they do rise and taste like Yorkshires). I suppose the lack of egg makes the batter a lot less stable, so it can't hold it's weight up.
apparently, you can use the liquid from a tin of chickpeas as a very effective substitute for egg in recipes. Not tried it myself.

Waitrose do a nice veggie ravioli or lasagne, for example, handy if you don't have time to prepare a meal (or can't be bothered that night).
I use veggie (dried soya) mince. about 100g and then add a pint and a half of 'stock'. This is made up from:

Tablespoon of tomato ketchup. Ditto brown sauce. Heaped teaspoon of veggie bouillon. two-three teaspoons of Worcester sauce. Dessert spoon of DARK soy for colour. A dessert spoon of fish sauce. Boiling water. Pour over mince and stir until all liquid absorbed. I usually leave this a couple of hours.

I saute in oil, a finely chopped onion, two sticks of celery and a large carrot finely chopped. Add mince. Add a little liquid and simmer for 30 minutes. Add water if required, you want it fairly wet for lasagna as the pasta suck all the moisture out.

Make lasagna with that - although I make a proper bechamel, pint and half of milk, one large onion, carrot, stick of celery, bay leaf, sprinkle of nutmeg and a few peppercorns. This soaks the whole time the mince is soaking. I then bring it to the boil, let it stand for 20 minutes, sieve the whole lot, heat it back up, add 3oz butter, let it melt, whisk it smooth and then add the 2-3oz flour whisking as it goes in.

Make lasagna. Grate cheese on top.

Never any left over. Not ever...

I use veggie (dried soya) mince. about 100g and then add a pint and a half of 'stock'. This is made up from:

Tablespoon of tomato ketchup. Ditto brown sauce. Heaped teaspoon of veggie bouillon. two-three teaspoons of Worcester sauce. Dessert spoon of DARK soy for colour. A dessert spoon of fish sauce. Boiling water. Pour over mince and stir until all liquid absorbed. I usually leave this a couple of hours.

I saute in oil, a finely chopped onion, two sticks of celery and a large carrot finely chopped. Add mince. Add a little liquid and simmer for 30 minutes. Add water if required, you want it fairly wet for lasagna as the pasta suck all the moisture out.

Make lasagna with that - although I make a proper bechamel, pint and half of milk, one large onion, carrot, stick of celery, bay leaf, sprinkle of nutmeg and a few peppercorns. This soaks the whole time the mince is soaking. I then bring it to the boil, let it stand for 20 minutes, sieve the whole lot, heat it back up, add 3oz butter, let it melt, whisk it smooth and then add the 2-3oz flour whisking as it goes in.

Make lasagna. Grate cheese on top.

Never any left over. Not ever...
That sounds great .. thanks for sharing that !

Back