• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Personal Names

I went to school with a kid called Gordon Bennet, I know that's an old joke but he really was ! .. his parents must have heard that joke beforehand ... and someone called Sandy Tulloch which I used to think sounded painful. I met a woman last night at work who described herself as half Chinese, she had a fun and vibrant personality and told me her name was Lim Lim (so good they named her twice?).

I talked to someone the other day who had a double-barreled surname, the first of which was Worm. I've seen that before, norwegian I think. However their given name was Liberty which gave an odd combination.

I think I have mentioned before the name Luke Walmesley. Googling the name brings up the tragic case of the schoolboy murdered in 2003. I have, however, encountered at least one person of that name and heard of several others.

I can only imagine that dozens of Walmesley parents have found the name tripping off the tongue when naming their boys, without giving much thought to the reason why. Not probably Bible-readers:

"So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth." Revelation 3.16, King James Version. :eek:

A place in Wales that goes by the name of Libanus.

(mind you all Welsh place names are weird) ;)

The 'u' becomes an 'i' sound in Welsh but the other letters in the name are not far from the English sounds. :)

Not a weird name as such, but one of our esteemed posters was a question on Mastermind last night!

Frideswide, pronounced by the great tortoise John Humphries as 'Freeders-weeder'.

Not a weird name as such, but one of our esteemed posters was a question on Mastermind last night!

Frideswide, pronounced by the great tortoise John Humphries as 'Freeders-weeder'.
Yes - that's exactly how I thought it was pronounced.

a guy i knew a long time ago, got knocked off his motorcycle by Mahatma Ghandi (spelling?) obviously at first he was like "yeah ok... come on... whats your REAL name" but no it was all above board

there's always one! :D

hey! im only human - none of us know everything? im just relating a story that i remember from years ago. call me stupid if you must but - i had heard of gandhi although even now i dont know his FULL title? BUT then.. hey im cool with that - im not gonna lose sleep over it

In my last job there was an engineer called Mr Funnell whose name appeared on paperwork every so often.

Also came across a Flo Baba.

Previous best dodgy name, and I guy I spoke to on the phone, was Oral Brown.

I have nightmares about those 3 going into partnership and having a name like a firm of solicitors of something... that would finish me off if I had to speak to them.

hey! im only human - none of us know everything? im just relating a story that i remember from years ago. call me stupid if you must but - i had heard of gandhi although even now i dont know his FULL title? BUT then.. hey im cool with that - im not gonna lose sleep over it

I certainly didn't call you stupid, but I do think that someone was pulling your leg. Unless someone, somewhere, has changed their name to "Mahatma Gandhi", and then knocked your friend off his bike, in which case I apologise!

Previous best dodgy name, and I guy I spoke to on the phone, was Oral Brown.

like Oral Roberts? I just don't get the name..... at all. I mean Anal or Vaginal Roberts wouldn't be considered would they? :huh:

like Oral Roberts? I just don't get the name..... at all. ...

Roberts' given name was Granville Oral Roberts.

I'd always suspected it was a variant spelling of 'Orel' - a marginally less rare male name with Hebrew and / or Slavic roots. However ...

According to the biography Oral Roberts: An American Life:

https://books.google.com/books?id=r...epage&q="minnie lewis" "oral roberts"&f=false

... it was family custom at the time of his birth to have a cousin, Minnie Lewis, name newborn children. There were apparently a number of prior and extant 'O' names in the family, but 'Oral' seems to have been a Minnie original. According to the source cited above, Minnie would later claim she'd never even heard the word before assigning it to her most recently arrived cousin.

According to the source cited above, Minnie would later claim she'd never even heard the word before assigning it to her most recently arrived cousin.

which just goes to prove that God does indeed have a sense of humour!

Back