• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Personal Names

26 January 2015 Last updated at 22:59

French court stops child from being named Nutella

A French court has stopped parents from naming their baby girl Nutella after the hazelnut spread, ruling that it would make her the target of derision.
The judge ordered that the child be called Ella instead.
He said in his ruling that the name Nutella was the trade name of a spread that is commonplace in Gallic homes.
"And it is contrary to the child's interest to have a name that can only lead to teasing or disparaging thoughts," he pronounced.

French parents are usually free to choose the names of their children, but local prosecutors are empowered to report what they deem to be unsuitable names to a family court.
The parents in the case on Monday did not attend the court hearing, so the judge decided in their absence that Ella was a more appropriate name.

There have been several cases involving children's names in France since 1993, when parents were finally given the freedom to name their children as they pleased, including:
  • A couple who wanted to call their daughter Fraise (Strawberry) which a judge also ruled could result in the child being teased. The baby instead was renamed Fraisine, a name popular in the 19th century
  • A father who took legal action to try and stop French car makers Renault from using the same name as his daughter, Zoe Renault. Cedric Renault argued that if Renault named car model Zoe it would make his daughter's life a "nightmare"
  • lain and Sophia Renaud in 1999 fended off legal action to prevent them from naming their daughter Megane, even though local authorities said it sounded too much like a car
_75306515_line976.jpg
Your name is not allowed
  • Iceland: Elvis (yes); Carolina (no)
  • New Zealand: Number 16 Bus Shelter (yes); Yeah Detroit (no)
  • Germany: Legolas (yes); Matti (no)
  • Sweden: Metallica (yes); Brfxxccxxmnpcccclllmmnprxvclmnckssqlbb11116 (no)
  • Japan: Akuma (means Devil) - (no)
  • Portugal: Mona Lisa (no)
  • India: Lenin, Stalin, Brezhnev and Khrushchev (yes)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30993608

This BBC link had me puzzled:
Cattle unlikely to play any more
Cattle had never seemed all that playful to me anyway...

But the full headline makes things clearer:

Gavin Cattle: Cornish Pirates scrum-half unlikely to play again
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34084094

(The player-coach is to concentrate on coaching.)

So that's clear. But I don't think I've come across that surname before.

I work in a school and am always amazed at how short sighted parents are in naming their children. So looking at my new cohort I have a Charlotte Webb, a William Pitt, a Jack Jones and a Jimmy MacPhearson (forever "Jimmy Mac, when are you coming back?" in my head) The only bonus is that of all the new names I have to remember (a particular weakness for me) I will remember theirs by day one

I work in a school and am always amazed at how short sighted parents are in naming their children. So looking at my new cohort I have a Charlotte Webb, a William Pitt, a Jack Jones and a Jimmy MacPhearson (forever "Jimmy Mac, when are you coming back?" in my head) The only bonus is that of all the new names I have to remember (a particular weakness for me) I will remember theirs by day one
There was the brother-in-law's, wife's sister who named her twin boys Richard and Edward. The 'Dick 'Ed twins' as they were immediately designated.

Our Government had a minister for gaming called Jack Richard Face - he preferred Richard Face (Australia).

Definitely a case for insisting on the longer "Raymond", in a Christopher Peacock type way.

Now that there is a Like function for this site I could "Like" every single post. My faves from real life are Pat Hind and a person named Penix who explained it was pronounced Pennicks. I would imagine it would almost be easier to to change your name than continually correct people on pronunciation.

Say hello to the 100 most unfortunate names in human history.

If these have been posted before, I must have missed them. It takes a while to load but then you will meet:

Dr. Shit Fun Chew
Charley Willard Horse Dick (his birth notice!)
Dick Assman
Hitler Mussolini (!)
Rowdy Negro
Jesus Condom
Willie Stroker
Misty Hyman
Anass Rhammar (Gratuities Appreciated)
Jack Kanoff
Rich Will Wanket (Real Estate)
Yolanda Squatpump
Dr. B. J. Hardick
Tiny Dick
Tiny Kox (Dutch)
M. Peanisbreath (Adelaide)
Dick Trickle
Fagley Dork
Lucious Pusey
Harold A. Ballitch (Physician)
Rusty Kuntz
P. Ennis
Mrs. Rape (Kindergarten!)
Ms Moysten Cumming

I think I'll save the next fifty till later . . . . :rofl:

Dick Trickle was a championship winning racing driver. The Tom Cruise character in the rubbish Days of Thunder was based on him (but they changed his name, understandably though frustratingly).

Dick Trickle was a championship winning racing driver. The Tom Cruise character in the rubbish Days of Thunder was based on him (but they changed his name, understandably though frustratingly).
No doubt his nickname was Tricky Dickie...

Last edited:
The former Mr Snail's favourite Korean pianist is called Dong Suk, for some reason.

I used to live in Istanbul. One icy winter's night, A friiend and I were weaving our way home after a couple of refreshing ales, and we took a hitherto-unnoticed side alley. There were a few little shops on it, including a hairdresser's salon, which are called Kuafor (after the French Coiffeure) in Turkish. Most small shops are generally named after the owner's family name, along with a description of what kind of shop they are, e.g. Salakoglu Elektronik or something like that.
As we neared the hairdresser's we saw, proudly emblazoned in curly gold lettering, the name of the establishment:
'KUNT KUAFOR'

It took us half an hour to stop laughing.

The former Mr Snail's favourite Korean pianist is called Dong Suk, for some reason.
implying that there were a range of Korean pianists that were less well favoured, along with other countries having a similar hierarchy. Maybe they could be seeded and have a contest to see who was Champion of Champions :)

I used to live in Istanbul. One icy winter's night, A friiend and I were weaving our way home after a couple of refreshing ales, and we took a hitherto-unnoticed side alley. There were a few little shops on it, including a hairdresser's salon, which are called Kuafor (after the French Coiffeure) in Turkish. Most small shops are generally named after the owner's family name, along with a description of what kind of shop they are, e.g. Salakoglu Elektronik or something like that.
As we neared the hairdresser's we saw, proudly emblazoned in curly gold lettering, the name of the establishment:
'KUNT KUAFOR'

It took us half an hour to stop laughing.
Since Russia and Turkey are about to start World War 3, I'll wheel out this, from our man in Moscow during World War 2:
My Dear Reggie,

In these dark days man tends to look for little shafts of light that spill from Heaven. My days are probably darker than yours, and I need, my God I do, all the light I can get. But I am a decent fellow, and I do not want to be mean and selfish about what little brightness is shed upon me from time to time. So I propose to share with you a tiny flash that has illuminated my sombre life and tell you that God has given me a new Turkish colleague whose card tells me that he is called...

Say hello to the 100 most unfortunate names in human history.

If these have been posted before, I must have missed them. It takes a while to load but then you will meet:

Dr. Shit Fun Chew
Charley Willard Horse Dick (his birth notice!)
Dick Assman
Hitler Mussolini (!)
Rowdy Negro
Jesus Condom
Willie Stroker
Misty Hyman
Anass Rhammar (Gratuities Appreciated)
Jack Kanoff
Rich Will Wanket (Real Estate)
Yolanda Squatpump
Dr. B. J. Hardick
Tiny Dick