• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Personal Names

Back when I lived in Minnesota, I was at Sta-Mart one night getting some munchies, and I noticed the dude behind the counter had a nametag with "Cheese" written on it. I asked him if it was short for "Chester" or something, and he just huffed and rang up my charges. :D I guess it was his real name.

Also, being as I am from a Native American tribe, I ran into a lot of names like "Golden Eagle", "Bear Woman" and "Leader Woman". Needless to say, the kids were teased quite regularly.

And, in continuing the namegame, when I have kids I plan on naming my first son Bela Lugosi. :D

[edit]
And, I also remember the local funeral home back home was called Cease Funeral Home. The man who ran it was named Dwayne or David. On his business card it was listed as D. Cease. Quite a proper name, me thinks...
[/edit]

US babies named after TV network

A American child named after a TV sports channel will soon get a visit from its namesake.

A film crew is coming to the Texas town of Pampa to interview the family of ESPN Malachi McCall for a feature on children with the name.

At least three children in the US are named after the channel, which marks its 25th anniversary this year.

"We don't have viewers, we have fans - it just shows the bond we have with people," spokesman Dave Nagle said.

BBCi News 27/06/04

More Strange Names

Alright.

Here's a weird one.

Dusty (Dustin) Glasscok is a senior in my highschool.

:D

These people should NOT be reproducing

I really like Freddie Prinze jr. and heard his father was famous and died tragically. What was his name?

:rofl:

stormshadow said:
Back when I lived in Minnesota, I was at Sta-Mart one night getting some munchies, and I noticed the dude behind the counter had a nametag with "Cheese" written on it. I asked him if it was short for "Chester" or something, and he just huffed and rang up my charges. :D I guess it was his real name.
Was his first name Chucky? :D

Emps, Baby's Named A Bad, Bad Thing is one of the funniest, scariest sites I know.

Just this week at work I've had: Cherry Peachey, and an almost famous Madge Stimpson.

I followed a couple links from that Bad Bad Name site, and found this school, in a town with an unusual name, Crescent Collegiate. Boring sounding school. But the town name! How can you tell someone your address with a straight face if you live in "South Dildo"?

Fallen-Maybe, as per some of the folks from the Babies Named a Bad, Bad Thing site (absolutely agree with hedgewizard, I was laughing until I was crying), one is supposed to uses a 'alternative' spelling w/made up meaning: "No, see, it's Deighl'dout. It means beautiful mountain place in French." :rolleyes:

My friends (yeah they're very sweet, but sorta out-there hippie types) who named their son Lichen seem restrained in comparison to some of these folk.

Originally posted by lopaka
"No, see, it's Deighl'dout. It means beautiful mountain place in French."

I thought that was "belle montagne"

Naomi started summer school last week. She wore a shirt that has a screen printed image of one of those self-stick "Hello, my name is..." convention badges. Only hers says "Hello, my name is PRINCESS" (because let's face it, she is). Unfortunately, some of the kids took it seriously and the past few days have been, straight faced and utterly innocently, calling her Princess. As if it really were her name. OMG. I suppose with classmates named Kerrigan (a girl), Dash (a boy), Omri (a boy), Cadence (a girl) and Mellodhi (a girl, I think her mom & Cadence's mom are best friends) a girl named Princess is not too much to take.

:rolleyes:

I think that in the 1950s conductor Sir Malcome Sargent's second wife changed her first name to "Lady". This was because if you divorced and remarried you didn't automatically aquire your partners title, therefore she changed her name so that instead of "Sir Malcome & Mrs Sargent" they were "Sir Malcome & Lady Sargent".

I may have got the details completely wrong though!

Fallen Angel said:
Naomi started summer school last week. She wore a shirt that has a screen printed image of one of those self-stick "Hello, my name is..." convention badges. Only hers says "Hello, my name is PRINCESS" (because let's face it, she is). Unfortunately, some of the kids took it seriously and the past few days have been, straight faced and utterly innocently, calling her Princess. As if it really were her name. OMG. I suppose with classmates named Kerrigan (a girl), Dash (a boy), Omri (a boy), Cadence (a girl) and Mellodhi (a girl, I think her mom & Cadence's mom are best friends) a girl named Princess is not too much to take.

:rolleyes:
And you believe that wasn't the whole plan to start with?

She has you pegged.

Currently debating the pros and cons of spawning another Mini-101 with the other half.
Her feelings on names seem to be a litle more conservative than mine.

She's erring more towards our parents' names - So stuff like Anne, Christine, Patrick, Brian, Roger , like those are any good.*

I'm aiming more towards Medea Clytemnestra for a girl, or Paris Ajax for a boy.

She seems unconvinced. I maintain that it's damn sight better than Kylie , Jason or Ashley , all of which I teach in their multitudes.
Has anyone ever met a nice Ashley?

*I know. Some of the more reactionary of you will have noticed the three different male names in the list. Hey, it's the 21st century...

Around here we get some REALLY odd names, because people tend to name their kids after a sound that they like, and not necessarily because of the meaning of the word. Hence I've come across guys named Calculator and Microkombi!!

Fayyaad said:
Around here we get some REALLY odd names, because people tend to name their kids after a sound that they like, and not necessarily because of the meaning of the word. Hence I've come across guys named Calculator and Microkombi!!

After a sound they like?

Excellent news. My wife is going to hate this...

Can I start inventing my own lexicon to represent noises like:

The glugging of a bottle pouring (For a boy)

That noise Jeff Goldblum makes through his nose (Unisex)

The hum of a room full of computers (For a girl)

The impact of soft fruit on a car windshield (Boy, but I'd worry it sounded a bit effeminate - best leave it as a middle name)

Ran Across this today..make of it what you will:

http://members3.boardhost.com/Ratcomplainers/msg/16216.html

I swear this is true...........
Posted by Coram on 7/13/2004, 8:06 am

My daughter is a nurse at an opthalmogist. Last week she had two young twin girls come in for their first eye examination. Names were.........
Pronounced.....Ah - sho'-lee
and.......Shi - tash'
spelled.....
Asshole and Shitass
I swear. True.

an alternate couple who lived nearby whose surname was tree,called there daughter "mango" and there son "apple". after apples first day at school he came home and announced to his parents that his name is "athol" not "apple", "mango" then became "manga".

I have recently slipped away from another forum because one of the women is asking our advice on names for her unborn daughter her choices are Geneva, Savannah, and MacKenzie....please, please,please parents, giving your child an exotic cutsie name does not guarantee that child will become exotic and cutsie.

The vogue for Madison a decade ago in these parts seems thankfully to have died a death.

Where does this habit of giving kids surnames for first names come from? Middle class Scots always love calling their kids MacKenzie, Campbell, Frazer etc.

I'm sure I read somewhere that it was an old Welsh custom for a child (male) to take its mother's surname as its forename.

e.g. woman with the surname Thomas, marries a man called Roberts

kid ends up being called Thomas Roberts

something like that anyway- I'll stand corrected if wrong...

I quite like Mackenzie. My friend is considering naming her unborn that regardless of baby's *edit- gender*.

Once, while visiting my brother, I overheard a neighbour address their wee daughter as Hudson. I even hung around to see if the kid reacted because I thought they were talking to the dog. I don't know why that struck me as a grotesque name for a wee girl but it did.

Edit: just remembered something I haven't thought of for years. When I was in my late teens, someone in my then-bf's family had a baby. The mom's initials (with her maiden name) were C.A.P.--Carol Anne SomethingbeginningwithaP. Thus, she and her hubby named the little girl Caprina. I helpfully pointed out that "caprine" is to "goat" as "bovine" is to "cow", "equine" is to "horse", etc. I haven't seen the kid since. Er, no pun intended. :D

Came across a Dear Blabby on the company email list today.

Dear Blabby!!!

theres a place called hag fold by/in manchester

I had a Kate-Lynn and a Shanade come into work the other day. If you are going to give your child a daft name at least spell it right.

I also had a mother with a kid called Tegan who insisted that it was spelt Teigan because if the i wasn't there then the e would be short as in beg.

If you want to see really daft kids names then get a copy of Take a Break, I think that Amber-Lynn is my favourite from there so far.

Mana said:
Came across a Dear Blabby on the company email list today.

Dear Blabby!!!

Is that a forename and surname?

Are messages addressed to: Dear Dear Blabby?

If you called your daughter Dear or Love she would have terrible trouble when she discovered femminism!

"Don't call me Dear, I'm not your Dear."

"But its your name!"

"Oh, so it is."

Dear Blabby sounds like a really bad advice column.

One that doesn't withhold the name and address.

Dear Blabby,

While I have been in a relationship with the same woman for the last five years, I find I am more and more attracted to her brother. Should I be worried?

Concerned in Clovelly

Dear Mr Stephen Smith of 18 Banksia Street East Bondi,

It is quite normal for people to feel slightly attracted to members of the same sex from time to time, so you shouldn't worry.

Blabby.

cc to St Tabitha's Catholic Church, Bondi Women's Auxillary.

The names and locations have been made up to illustrate a point, and bear no reflection of any real people. Except Dear Blabby who is a real person, but probably isn't anything like this.

Austen said:
Is that a forename and surname?

Are messages addressed to: Dear Dear Blabby?

If you called your daughter Dear or Love she would have terrible trouble when she discovered femminism!

"Don't call me Dear, I'm not your Dear."

"But its your name!"

"Oh, so it is."

Yes it is the forename and surname. My colleagues and I had a similar conversation too. :D

Back