• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Personal Names

I used to work for a woman named Mrs. Titsworth.
There is also a large mobile home park near my town called "Twilight Zone" , there are ten streets runing through it and each are named after the nine planets(jupiter,pluto,etc.) and the last one is "moon" .

Now there are sixty-odd pages of this thread so I'm not sure if we have considered the cv of this candidate before.

I'm afraid the URL is a bit of a give-away, but this appears to be genuine:
he has a very impressive list of publications. However entering his name and subject also brings up a few unrelated cries of despair from students.

http://www.unb.br/ig/prof/ReinhardtAdolfoFuck.htm

:?

:shock:

Death Charged in Theft From Cemetery

Mar 30, 6:28 PM (ET)

By FRANK ELTMAN

NEW YORK (AP) - His name is Death, and prosecutors say he stole from a cemetery. Donald Death Jr., 60, of Locust Valley, was arraigned Wednesday on charges he stole nearly $300,000 from the Locust Valley Cemetery Association on Long Island.

Death, who is the chairman and assistant treasurer of the cemetery association, pleaded not guilty to two counts of second-degree grand larceny and one count of third-degree grand larceny for allegedly using cemetery funds for his own purposes, a spokeswoman for Nassau County District Attorney Denis Dillon said in a statement.

Death was released on his own recognizance and was ordered back to court April 6. If convicted he would face up to 15 years in prison.

The charges follow an audit of the cemetery association that took place last summer. The audit found that Death wrote checks totaling $170,000 from the cemetery association's account to Harbor Fuel Co. Inc., at which Death served as president, CEO and 54 percent shareholder, Dillon said.

The audit also found that Death used an association employee to provide landscaping and other work on properties he and his father owned and added a family member to the association's health and dental insurance plans, prosecutors said.

The total amount of money diverted by Death was estimated at more than $293,000, Dillon said.

Death's attorney, Melvin Roth, said the entire amount has been repaid to the association. He said he was "disappointed the district attorney filed criminal charges, especially because everyone concerned has been made whole from this unfortunate incident."

He called Death an "upstanding member of the community who has served on many boards and charities" and attributed the incident to "business pressures Mr. Death was experiencing."

"We anticipate a favorable conclusion," he said.

Source

Are we then to assume there was a Donald Death Snr?

Death's attorney, Melvin Roth,

"Who was your last client?"

"Death"

"Ooooh tough client."

I'm sorry but if you were called Death you would have to wear a hooded cloak and carry a scythe and do the whole Death thing wouldn't you?

Perhaps he does? :shock:

Donald death - you'll die laughing

Heckler said:
Death's attorney, Melvin Roth,

"Who was your last client?"

"Death"

"Ooooh tough client."

I'm sorry but if you were called Death you would have to wear a hooded cloak and carry a scythe and do the whole Death thing wouldn't you?

Perhaps he does? :shock:

Its a tough call - my Dad taught with someone who'd changed their name to De Ath but if you worked in the cemetry trade you'd have to really. It might even drum up more trade. I'm imagining he looks a bit like Lurch and goes around in a stovepipe hat introducing himself to clients as Mr Death.

Then again I can't think of a worse surname for him than Donald. Donald Death - would he be the funeral director banned in Finland for wearing no trousers?

Not exactly steering the party away from death ...

In yesterday's obits, we had a person (gender unspecified) named Memphis Pickle Boggs. (95 years of age)

Renigirl said:
Not exactly steering the party away from death ...

In yesterday's obits, we had a person (gender unspecified) named Memphis Pickle Boggs. (95 years of age)

95 yrs?? That's a lot of teasing!! :)

I would love to hear the stories behind some of these names. Why Memphis? Was Picle a family name?

A local journalist has the Cornish name Trewhela: he's got used to people ringing up asking for 'tre-weller', although it should be pronounced 'tre - wheeler'.

Apparently at school he was called Three wheeler!

Some wonderful names of people I have known (or known of) in my life:

leea hyman (pronouned "laya")
simone dooda
olive pickle
torbjorn waddel (pronounced "torbin")

favourite place name, probably forever:

punkydoodles corners (in Ontario, Canada)

[/b]

We had a last name of "Fellure" in this week's obituaries. Which perhaps doesn't seem so odd, but the regional dialect here would class "fellure" and "failure" as the same word.

Hope his nickname wasn't "Big." :shock:

reply to leaferne:

Punkydoodle Corners is the meeting point of three counties near Kitchener-Waterloo.

Russian soloist at Charles & Camilla's blessing - Ekaterina SEMENCHUCK

A girl at University with me, by the name of Heidi.

Her surname is Doody.

I have proof..

There is a Goodenough Road in South London.

mmm... fair enough...

There was a man who claimed to be an African immigrant that worked a local department store named La Qui Lar.
Obviously, he was a Martian who forgot to make up an Earth name :lol:

There used to be a shipyard in Falmouth called

Silley, Cox & Co. :D

Say hello - or maybe cheese - to the photographer Linnaeus Tripe (1822 - 1902)

http://www.rleggat.com/photohistory/history/tripe.htm

As that page puts it:

"If Linnaeus' name seems unusual, spare a thought for his brothers and sisters, whose names included Cornelia, Theophilus, Cornelius, Octavius, Algernon, Septimus and Lorenzo!"

Were they known as the udder tripes?

Coat already on. :)

I know this puts me in danger of being described as perverted, but every time I pass the 'Three Cocks Inn' in the village of Three Cocks near Hay on Wye, I smile.

downunder said:
really makes life worthwhile, doesn't it?

Well, I'd hardly say that it has a huge effect on my life! In the grand scale of things, taking everything into consideration, Vienesse Whirls are more important.

Pappa Gallo said:
I know this puts me in danger of being described as perverted, but every time I pass the 'Three Cocks Inn' in the village of Three Cocks near Hay on Wye, I smile.
me too, actually! Not to forget Lord Hereford's nob and Fan-Y-Big nearby.

Oh dear...

We had a Cute Johnson in the obits today.
No word from his wife whether he lived up to the name, so to speak. :shock:

Renigirl said:
Oh dear...

We had a Cute Johnson in the obits today.
No word from his wife whether he lived up to the name, so to speak. :shock:

Are they ever? ;)

Emperor said:
Are they ever? ;)
A lady never tells. ;)

'Nuther fun one, baby names this time
Lucha Grady Michel. I'm hoping they've bought little masks and capes and things. That'd be awesome. :lol:

Hate to reply to myself, but...

in tomorrow's edition, we have a fella named Scooter Kitchen.

And then there's this:
Jesus Christ in legal battle for W.Va. driver’s license
By ERIK SCHELZIG
The Associated Press

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — Even Jesus Christ can’t circumvent West Virginia driver’s license transfer requirements.

Attempts to prove his name really is Christ have led the man born as Peter Robert Phillips Jr. through a lengthy legal battle and a recent victory in the District of Columbia Court of Appeals.

“This all started with him expressing his faith and his respect and love for Jesus Christ,” attorney A.P. Pishevar told The Associated Press. “Now he needs to document it for legal reasons.”

Described by his attorney as a white-haired businessman in his mid-50s, Christ is moving to West Virginia to enjoy a slower lifestyle. He bought property near Lost River, about 100 miles west of Washington, and has a U.S. passport, Social Security card and Washington driver’s license bearing the name Jesus Christ.

But he still falls short of West Virginia title and license transfer requirements because his Florida birth certificate has his original name on it and he has been unable to obtain an official name change in Washington.

“We just need official documentation that that’s his name,” said Doug Stump, commissioner of the West Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles. “He will be treated no different than anybody else.”

Christ in May 2003 applied for the legal name change, but it was denied by District of Columbia Superior Court Judge Tim Murphy on the basis that “taking the name of Jesus Christ may provoke a violent reaction or may significantly offend people.”

In his appeal, Christ’s attorney argued that Phillips had changed his name to Jesus Christ 15 years earlier, and “has been using the name since then without incident.”

The appeals court last month ruled that not all required hearings were held in the case and vacated Christ’s denial. The name-change proposal will start anew in the lower court.

As for the appellant’s reaction?

“Christ is not speaking to the press at this time,” Pishevar said.

Similar web-version here.

Just a thought.

Has anyone every cursed with a very singular/silly name ever changed it by deed poll?

Or is it all people with mundane names looking for something more original?

Okay I'd be stretching it if I bagged this as Nominative Determinism ;) It's not particularly weird but I laughed when I came across this gem. If I had been one of the neighbours, I'm sure I would have been thinking *yeah, you are*.

[...]But among the less well-known names, one man, Isaac Norris Hunt, makes his mark as a data collector who used the 1861 census as an opportunity to dish the dirt on his neighbours in Stow-on-the-Wold, Gloucestershire.

The railway manager embellished occupations of some of his neighbours and added "scandalous" personal details.

Several are listed as prostitutes, including Emma Cook, 19, and 64-year-old Mary Newman.

Another neighbour, Eliza Williams, was said to be "kept" by her "paramour" William Clapton.

Hannah Cokey was described as a "pauper, syphilitic", William Shall as an "absconding bankrupt" and Elizabeth Wixey was said to "cohabit with a man".

Mr Hunt also called the two young sons of the "very doubtful" Lavinia Collicott "bastards".

from here

Back