• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Personal Names

I can't wait to move here. This state is just full of great names...

I found the name Cherry Toes while I was working today.
Which reminds me, there are a few firms of solicitors with inadvisable names. My fave is Wright Hassell & Co. There's also the Crotch Partnership and the Head Partnership, and , I kid you not, Lickfolds Wylie & Co, tho I think that last one may no longer exist. :blah:

My cousin, Ronaele, was named after her mother who couldn't think of a suitable name so just gave the baby her own name - backwards.

Silent Ts?

While on the subject of strange names, don't forget the sleepy

little village of TWATT in the Shetlands.

Going back to people names for a second....

Does anybody remember a guy on the Big Breakfast who changed his name to Oscar Winner? I think he was actually one of the camera men or something. :D

Another name that everybody else seems to think is completely normal, but always has me in stitches is Minnie Driver. Please people, does nobody else hear the connection?:confused:

Originally posted by pinkbee

Another name that everybody else seems to think is completely normal, but always has me in stitches is Minnie Driver. Please people, does nobody else hear the connection?:confused:

Of course we do, she was on tv once driving one to emphasize the point.

You're right Pinkbee (nice nickname by the way). Time was when a film/pop star had a silly name they'd change it to Grant Stallion or whatever, now they just leave it. Which is a good thing IMO. Mary J Blige anyone? Keith Sweat for chrissakes?

Now that really IS funny Carole. I have a book at work (20 years at the Land Registry) listing all the funny names I've ever encountered. As soon as I remember to bring it home....You have been warned. :eek!!!!:

I'm still puzzled about the name up here in the north east - Pity Me.

Beakboo, let's have some extracts from your book!

Carole

carole said:
I'm still puzzled about the name up here in the north east - Pity Me.

I'm told it's from the French 'Petit Mere' meaning 'small lake', but I don't know how true that is.

the link must have changed ...... there are only three placenames on it as far as I can see

Palmarito
Calderas
La Acequia

??

How strange....when click on the link, I see absurdly named place about 30km south west of La Acequia

carole said:
Beakboo, let's have some extracts from your book
Oh alright then.
I won't include the simple "Albert Bridge" type of name, we get plenty of those, the ones I really like are those that form little sentences:
Eileen Forward
Nellie May Bath
Vera Grunts
Elsie May Rumble (May is a dangerous middle name to give a girl-you never know who she might marry)
Janet Storrs Cheesewright
John Burrows Underhay
Love Wytham Corps (I found this on a death certificate believe it or not).
Then there's the one's that sound like an occupation:
John Eagle Sizer (dangerous)
Henry Eeles Dresser (very tricky!)
Minnie Blower (passing swiftly on...)
Robert Boloker
Then of course there's the rude ones:
Violet Crack
Olive Beaver
Colin Moist
Sonia Dick (Get it off!!)
Hyman Spital
Seaman Breeds.
But strangely the ones that always make me laugh out loud are Vera Batterface and Queenie Wheazer.

I understand, that in France, if you give your kid an "un-orthodox" name, the state may step in & refuse to allow you to register it as the childs name.

Last year in France, a couple tried to register their child's first name as "Megane", (as in the car of that name) & went to court after their request was refused, as it was considered that the child would be an object of derision!!!

I belive that they won the case.....

AdamRang said:
Is my name weird enough?
Quite weird enough thankyou yes. Thank goodness you don't know mine. Some say it sounds like a motorbike starting up, my hubcap (who only has half my name) says it sounds like a well known serial killers name. And you will never know.

When my missus worked at the John Radcliffe hospital in Oxford the consultant ortopaedic surgeon was John Cockin - hence his department becoming known as "The Cockin Hand Clinic".

I worked as a housing officer for a number of years - my faves, culled from the large number of names on the books, were:

two kids, one boy, one girl, called Unique and Scenario Dibble (guess which was which..)

A woman called Mary Hinge

and, twin girls called Twinkle and Star Noggis.

There's an apocryphal one (ie within memory of a couple of the old warhorses, but not on the computer) which was Ophelia Groyne.

A teacher colleague of mine used to have a gril called Milly Molly Mandie in her class.

Should criminal proceedings be brought against some parents?

Does anyone remember the Spike Milligan character from his 'Q' tv series called Mr Robert Slicker?

Think about it ;)

zapcat said:
Does anyone remember the Spike Milligan character from his 'Q' tv series called Mr Robert Slicker?

Think about it ;)

Yes, I do. He also came up with Dick Scratcher.:)

Spike also invented a firm of solicitors called Norfolk and Good.:p

Does randy have the same connotations in the US as it does in England? becasue you always hear of americans, male and female called Randy and it makes quirw worried.

Back