• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Personal Names

Gilly

I also knew a Gill Gill - (she pronounced the last name with a hard G)
I once met a web designer called Iona Page!

Must share this with you - a colleague at work has just been speaking to a Mr Russell Hobbs . . .

Carole

. . . and my husband used to work with a Dutch guy called

Kok van Schouten . . .

Carole

Fer crying out loud...

I mean some peeps really have a screw loose, I think.

Techie Names First Son Version 2.0

HOLLAND, Mich. (AP) - Tacking Jr. or II onto a boy's name is too common, a new father decided, so the self-described engineering geek took a software approach to naming his newborn son.

Jon Blake Cusack talked his wife, Jamie, into naming their son Jon Blake Cusack 2.0.

Version 2.0 was born Tuesday at Holland Community Hospital, and the proud parents took him home Friday.

``I wanted to find something different to name him besides Jon Blake,'' Cusack, who is self-employed with Westshore Design and Cusack Music, told The Holland Sentinel.

He said he had the idea for a few months, and spent the better part of that time persuading his wife to go along.

Jamie Cusack said she didn't concede until the week before the birth. She said she had ``picked out the theme of the baby's room and done other things. I decided to let Jon have this.''

After 2.0's birth, the Cusacks sent out an electronic birth announcement.

``I wrote in the birth announcement e-mail stuff, like there's a lot of features from version 1.0 with additional features from Jamie,'' Jon Cusack said.

02/01/04 15:29

© Copyright The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Baby named version 2.0

Web posted Saturday, January 31, 2004

Baby version 2.0

Local couple names newborn with a nod toward software style

By ROEL GARCIA
Staff writer

There's a new kid in town, version 2.0. No, it's not a computer upgrade. The 2.0 belongs to Jon Blake Cusack 2.0 -- that's his legal name -- born Tuesday at Holland Community Hospital.

Jon Blake Cusack, the newborn's father, who is self-employed with Westshore Design and Cusack Music, said he's an engineering geek and had the idea floating around for a few months. He spent the better part of that time convincing his wife, Jamie, of his naming idea.

"I wanted to find something different to name him besides Jon Blake," Cusack, of Holland, said. "The names 'Jr.' and 'II' are too common."

At first, Jamie, who works with her husband, wasn't keen on the idea of having 2.0 added to the end of her newborn's name, but she finally conceded last week.

"We watched a movie called "The Legend of 1900" and there was a baby in the movie who was abandoned by his mother on a ship," Jamie said. "Those who found him called him 1900 because of the year.

"I thought that if they could do it, why couldn't we? Besides, I had picked out the theme of the baby's room and done other things. I decided to let Jon have this."

When their son was born, Jon sent out an e-mail and wrote it up as if he and his wife had created new software.

"I wrote in the birth announcement e-mail stuff like 'there's a lot of features from version 1.0 (himself) with additional features from Jamie,'" Jon said.

Jamie has taken to the 2.0 and has begun looking at the future possibilities the name could have for her son.

"Jon designs circuit boards and he initials them JBC," she said. "If he (son) decides to enter that business, he could initial the circuits JBC 2.0."

Both say that the majority of those they've spoken with like the idea of 2.0.

Jamie said she took polls and all the men she asked said they thought 2.0 was "cool." Women were not as receptive, with only two approving of the name.

"I think women will end up liking it," she said.

Jon 2.0 is the Cusacks' first child. He was born Tuesday morning, weighing in at 9.8 pounds and was 22 inches long. The Cusacks brought their baby home Friday afternoon.

And what does the future hold for Jon 2.0? If he has a child, the tradition could continue.

"If he has child, he could name him 3.0," Jon said. "The first (1.0) would have major revisions, then we have 2.0 and 3.0."

http://www.thehollandsentinel.net/stories/013104/loc_013104003.shtml

I do worry about people - when I'm not despairing of them I suppose ;)

Emps

Emps-I just posted this a few minutes ago in the 'Weird Names" thread.

What happens when the little fellow has a Tonsilectomy?

Service pack 1? :)

Oh I have a few of these - I keep a book at work. It cheers me up when I am dieing of boredom.

Mrs Har Poon
R Soul
Hamish McSporran
John Paul Pope
Elvis Aaron Parrot
Clint Liquorish
A M A Gent
Wayne King
K A Gool
Ana L Cuero
M M Emm
P Diddy
Mr Glasscock
Mrs Twofanny
Iver Paine (I swear I didn't make that up!)
Two pieces of post I had in a row were from a Mr Cheese and a Mr Burger! Synchronicity or what!

There are more if I could remember them.

In my job I've come across the following
a Miss Bent and a Mr Bang.

Where I live there is an Ariola Avenue. My aunt went to school with someone called Louis Screws. There is a Mossyhead Florida.

My last name is Reefer.

I am so very thankful that my parents did not curse me with the first name "Mary Jane"... :p

One of my neighbours is a Dr. Killar.

And I know a Mr. Windpissinger.

I know a Cakebread. Sadly, he's a plasterer, not a baker. I have suggested the change in career to him, but he seemed unimpressed with the idea.
Even worse, he fears he is the last of the Cakebreads. He has had three daughters, and has no brothers, so the glorious Cakebread name may die with him..

i've got a client whose name is allison hole. a hole.

she is marrying a mr curry. i certainly hope she doesnt hyphenate her name.

then, there's the two gay irish men. michael fitzpatrick and patrick fitzmichael.

i am such a comedian.

i work in mortgages, and we keep track of bad names of borrowers. here are some of our favorites:

Fidel Castro <--- not the real dictator...
Hueg Wang
Mr. Crapser
Mr. Penix
Horace Pigford Jr. <--- sadly, the third in the line of Horace Pigford
Jimmy Bumpers <--- wouldn't have been so funny had he just gone by "James" or "Jim"

Court rules against 'irresponsible name'

From AFP
February 21, 2004

GIVING your child one unusual name is fine, but inflicting it with 12 is going overboard, Germany's constitutional court ruled in a judgment released Friday.

It rejected an appeal by a mother who wanted to call her son Chenekwahow Tecumseh Migiskau Kioma Ernesto Inti Prithibi Pathar Chajara Majim Henriko Alessandro.

"The state has the duty to protect a child's fundamental rights against an irresponsible choice of names by parents," it ruled.

The appeal was brought by a woman in the populous western state of North Rhine-Westphalia after a lower court's decision in 1998 to cut the number of names to five.

The lower court had ruled that having a long chain of names would have "a significantly onerous effect" on the child.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,8746523%5E29677,00.html

A few friends in the insuance industry reported the following:

Elvis Presley
Judge Dredd
Lai Mi Wright

Emps

There's a guy I used to know in the sales dept. of my former job called Michael Hunt who, believe it or not, actually calls himself Mike.

When I worked for the railway, we regularly had contact with someone who's hyphenated surname was Gotobed-Williams.

And in my current job, which is replete with odd names has listings of:

Marion Blowswell
Peter Allbones
Allison Box
Kerry Spowage
and several listings of people with the surname Satan!!

Also, my brother (or sister I can't remember which) went to school with a Scott Lund and Lee King.

I also used to know a railman who had the best name: Byrone Steelle. Sounds like some sort of secret agent.

Note: I may have told you some or all of this before. Apologies if I have, my memory is crap.

I was just looking through an old company newsletter from 1990, and it had a list of new starters, one of which was called Junior Boatswain!

Delbert said:
I was just looking through an old company newsletter from 1990, and it had a list of new starters, one of which was called Junior Boatswain!
What? Not Roger the Cabin Boy?

Yeah, yeah, I'm going.

And finally Cyril...

There's a firm of solicitors near me called 'Wright, Hassel & Co.'

Anybody know of any other aptly named copanies?

Over to you Esther ...

well i know of a solicitors. called "loosemore" in cardiff. :eek:
:D

There used to be a firm of solicitors with the senior partner's name "Hussey" right above Australia's first Adult Superstore.

Both establishments have since moved.

Wright Hassel eh? You're not in my neck of the woods are you?

Personally, I like dealing with Slaughter and May (but not in May.. Slaughter in May see?) and Evershites.

I suppose that's only funny if you work in the legal profession :)

Back