• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Personal Names

A book review in the WMN today mentioned several strange nick-names from Watchet, in Somerset.

These were 19th century folk, but one was called Google!

(Can't give a link, as the server is being upgraded this w/e.)

There's some lovely names here in the south-west but some stinkers too, like Looe and Swanage, the latter reminds me of Sewerage but I'm sure it's beautiful like I've been told. :lol: 8)

AvlinWitchslicer said:
I know the French have some good town names like Brest, perfect for someone like me who knows no level of humour low enough lol :lol: 8)

My favourite metro stop is Bourg la Reine (the Queen's village) - it is easy to mispronounce and say "fuck the queen!"

I suppose I better mention that my full name is Marcus Robert Palmer, I wasn't named after the late great singer (I like his stuff) and I might or might not be "Addicted to Love" but it hasn't changed my life in any way lol. Apparently I was named after the doctor and ambulance man who were there at my birth so cheers mum for considering it so deeply in those 9 months previously!! :lol: 8)

Can't forget No Place and Pity Me. Places to visit in Co. Durham :)

In my experience the villages always have much better names than the towns and cities, as for the locals for either well if you're "not from round here" then it doesnt matter they'll both stare in disgust if you dare ask them anything :lol: 8)

Not really weird, but this seems to be the only thread about names. (And it does mention a guy called Johnny Biscuit).
Not this Jon Stewart, that Jon Stewart

April 13, 2006

BY RUMMANA HUSSAIN Staff Reporter

No joke.

Officials at a charter high school in Ogden, Utah, got the proverbial egg all over their faces after mistakenly believing they signed up Jon Stewart of the "The Daily Show" to host their annual gala.

Instead, they actually booked Jon A. Stewart, a 39-year-old former motivational speaker, businessmen and part-time professional wrestler from Deerfield.

Jon A. Stewart, a Republican candidate for Congress in 2000, was a bit surprised when he received an e-mail invitation in January for the April 20 fund-raiser at the Ogden Eccles Conference Center.

Officials at a Utah school thought they were getting "Daily Show" host Jon Stewart (right) for their annual gala. But much to their dismay, they had actually hired Jon A. Stewart, the pro wrestler seen winning this match.

He even wrote the school back, asking if they were sure they had the right Jon Stewart. When the DaVinci Academy teacher corresponding with him told him he was indeed their man, the married father of three agreed to speak for free and booked an airline ticket and rental car for $421.

"I thought it was a little elaborate for me," a chuckling Jon A. Stewart said Wednesday. "I'm a personality here in Chicago, but I'm not Hulk Hogan or George Bush."

The mix-up was uncovered by a resourceful Ogden reporter who called the comedian's publicist and was told that this year's Academy Awards host had no plans to fly to Northern Utah anytime soon.

When the journalist relayed the message to school officials Friday, they had to tell Jon A. Stewart thanks but no thanks.

DaVinci Academy sold over 700 tickets at $50 apiece since advertising the attendance of the Comedy Central star, said Nancy Jones, the school's director of development. Although she didn't have figures, Jones confirmed there have been requests for refunds. The school is also footing Jon A. Stewart's non-refundable transportation bill.

"I don't think it was anger. It was disappointment," Jones said of some community members' reaction to the snafu. "I was disappointed. I wanted to meet him, too."

The spokesman for the more famous Jon Stewart would not comment.

Many local acts, including Weber State University's jazz and symphonic wind ensembles, volunteered to perform at next week's event after the "Jon Stewart" fiasco made national news. Comedian Johnny Biscuit also signed up as the gala's masters of ceremonies.

Jones wouldn't elaborate on how the "unfortunate misunderstanding" occurred, except to say it was a "faulty communications process."

'She must have had ADD'

But Jon A. Stewart said a teacher arranging the gala apparently looked up "Jon Stewart" on a search engine and ended up with the last page of his Web site, which has his contact information. The sign-up page has a header that reads, "The Official Website of Chicago's Own....Jon Stewart; Professional Wrestler, Politician, Businessman, Writer."

"She must have had ADD," said Jon A. Stewart, who has no hard feelings for the DaVinci Academy officials. "I actually started to feel bad for them. My ego was not the problem here, I assure you."

source
http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-jon13.html

I quite like John Stewart but prefer Hal Jordan as a Green Lantern.....oh it's not that John Stewart!! I suppose I better say while I'm here that my original surname was Legg so had the pee taken out of me at school even if it had two "g's", because of that a sarcastic young man was born!!! :eek: :lol: 8)

Someone with a name of Allcock always makes me chuckle (especially on a slow day like a Bank Holiday!!) and of course there's the Bath and England rugby player called Grewcock, plus I used to role-play with someone called Locock. Thankfully I never found out if he took after his name, had armpits like Niagra Falls though... oh don't feel sorry for him he was worse to me :shock: :lol: 8)

Came across a Mr Shitta the other day (reminded me of the football player Rafael Scheidt - who the news guys insisted on just calling plain old Rafael).

Heard that there is a family in Fife called Bollock , but cant find them in the phone book. Wonder why.

Well in footie there've been lots of good oriental names that've made me laugh when I've heard them pronouced by the commentators, plenty of Wongs, Wangs, etc, yes I'm looking forward to hearing some more in June :lol: 8)

I'm still peed off that my Mum gave me Robert as a middle name....she should've just named me Bob and cut out the middle man!!! The French footballers that have women's names make me laugh aswell (ie Lillian Thuram) but I'll stop it when they get knocked out of the world cup....probably :lol: 8)

Just come back from shopping and on the bus back from Taunton I noticed a place signposted called "Swell", just on the outskirts of Curry Rivel, I don't know if it's a swell place or if it's grown in size over the years but I liked the name... :lol:

I remember reading a psychology paper by a German...Herr Wanker (naturally pronounced with a 'v'). One reference I was never going to forget in an exam :D

Psychologist Guy Cumberbatch - pronounced Gay Cucumber (honest!) :shock:

I've heard of a "Greenbush" but that could be just an affliction....I never listened in school and just played footsies with Christy Fryer....and yes she had a nickname.... 8)

The mother of a friend of mine was briefly married to a fella named Duncan Hynd.

I worked briefly as a manager in a clothes shop where on the staff team we had a Max Sales and the assistant manager was called Laura Ashley.
Her name was only funny when people came into the shop and asked her where they could find Laura Ashley. After replying Im here and noting there confused expressions she would explain that her name was also L.A. and give them directions to the shop. She was a sweet girl.
:)

One of my old role-playing mates knew someone called Richard Cheese, it's not a terrible name it just depends on how your mind thinks.... :lol:

A new CD of works by the once-obscure but suddenly fashionable John Foulds features a short piece from 1935 with the charming name "The Song of Ram Dass".

I think the last time I heard that, it was drifting in from a neighbouring room in a hall of residence.

Ram Dass, who he then?

Well the one intended was a Sixteenth Century Sikh guru but the first page I found was this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_Dass

More or less where we came in! :splat:

A quick glance through my local phone directory threw up the following names :

A Stiff
Mr Beaver
B Fanny
A Joint
Mrs Twat
James U Pratt
Mr Pigg

I seem to remember Tom DeLonge (of Blink 182)'s sister is called Carrie.

We have a client who lives on Speedo Lane. I always get quite a picture in my head any time I have to send her anything.

The closest I got to a good name was a friend of a friend called Martin Baulmer...M Baulmer (pronouced "Balm mer"), let's hope he marries someone called Em.... ;)

There's a firm of accountants in these parts called Winter Rule....

perhaps something like "Ne'er cast a clout til May be out", perhaps! :D

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the name of the first Prime Minister of South Korea, Lee Bum Suk.

It was also the name of one of the same country's foreign ministers.

Back