• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Personal Names

Anyone read that email from the stuck up girl advising everyone how to behave at her party at the Ritz ? I was perusing her guest list and came across someone called Jing Jing . Maybe she'd invited a panda along ,or something.

I'm a Celtic supporter , but I still can't quite get used to Jan Venegeer of Hesselink (too much of a mouthful). Still , it's far better than Raphael Scheidt.

Replica shirts must be pricey!

The thing that's always puzzled me about old JVoH, as I think we should call him, is where the "of" in his name comes from. He's from the Netherlands, so "van" I could understand (I'm guessing Hesselink is his family's home town, or some such), but "of"? Does this mean something in Dutch?

Peripart said:
Replica shirts must be pricey!

The thing that's always puzzled me about old JVoH, as I think we should call him, is where the "of" in his name comes from. He's from the Netherlands, so "van" I could understand (I'm guessing Hesselink is his family's home town, or some such), but "of"? Does this mean something in Dutch?

Funnily enough , I speak Dutch and 'of' is the Dutch word for 'or'. Don't know why though.

Just watched Park Chan-Wook's excellent Lady Vengeance. Noticed in the credits that one of the crew was called Kim Sang Bum.

gerardwilkie said:
I'm a Celtic supporter , but I still can't quite get used to Jan Venegeer of Hesselink (too much of a mouthful). Still , it's far better than Raphael Scheidt.

I'm a bit of a collector of great football names. Jan Venegeer of Hesselink is one of my all time favorites, if only for his heroic insistence on every single letter going on his shirt. Other greats were two keepers, Jurgen Macho (Sunderland)and Fabien Cool (Auxerre). But I think my very favorite of recent years was Danny Invincible of Barnet. Had I been I Premiership manager I wouldn't have been able to resist signing him, just for the laugh of havibng the name on the teamsheet. :lol:

The local paper reports a wedding where the bride's previous married name was Custard! She has two children from the first marriage.

(There are no Custards in the local phone book.)

As I have probably mentioned before, but will bring up again in an attempt to entertain our good friend Diabolik8, my former husband used to go into hysterics when a certain Korean concert pianist was mentioned on t'wireless. This would be Mr Dong Suk. :lol:

I was watching a Korean film today ,The Doll Master. One of the crew had the name Suh Bum-Suk.

Damn, you beat me to it!
Suh Bum-Suk is the girlf's mum's name!
I think I blocked out how funny it is to avoid potential family disasters!

Of course I can talk. That boy named Sue had nothing on me.

Been watching another Korean film , The Ghost and came across this unusual name .... Dong-Suk Lim.

A school librarian friend of mine swears he has a student named Abcdefg.
It was pronounced Ab-sid-ef-juh.

I was looking a foster home kids up for adoption in Michigan about 3 weeks ago and came across a nine year old girl named Latrina. Poor thing. :?

I know a woman called Melina, I didnt think anything of it until a nurse friend told me that it was not really a pleasant name as melina is a secretion of the bowel when it is irritated, particularly from backdoor action. Yum :shock:

rynner said:
kirmildew said:
I know a woman called Melina, I didnt think anything of it until a nurse friend told me that it was not really a pleasant name as melina is a secretion of the bowel when it is irritated, particularly from backdoor action. Yum :shock:
Possibly from this: http://www.growingupibd.org/melina/

But the name Melina comes from the Greek for 'honey', and has several common variants:
http://www.thinkbabynames.com/search/0/honey

Don't forget the Greek actress and politician Melina Mercouri, for example.

kirmildew said:

I think you're thinking about Melena or Melaena, not Melina

It wasn't the spelling I was bothered about- it's still pronounced the same!

Apologies for not reading throught the entire thread...

A friend of mine used to work for BT or some other soul destroying customer service dept. and over a year had filled 2 sheets of A4 with strange names.. The only one I can remember is, Dr Pink Dandelion! Male, BTW...

I shall ask if he still has the list, and scan through previous pages before I post any more.

My husband had some clients a few years ago called Childe-Harmer :shock: I hope they have dropped one of the names by now, at the time they refused to admit that there was anything wrong with it...surely!

Been watching another Korean film (always a good source for strange names),Shiri ....one of the actors was called Han Suckyu. :?

(highly recommended film by the way......amazing action) :yeay: [/i]

Study: Circumcision reduces HIV risk

The three African trials together were designed to offer definitive proof that male circumcision helped prevent HIV infection - consistent with dozens of studies conducted since the 1980's that found similar results but without the scientific rigor of a clinical trial.

"This is not a magic bullet, but a potentially important intervention,'' said Dr. Kevin De Cock, director of HIV/AIDS programs for the World Health Organization.

I would have every faith in that doctor.

Back