• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Psychological Thing Re: Big/Small

I'm really glad the Google doodle has changed from yesterday, I was getting seriously bad big/small vibes from the cartoon planet zooming up in size as it got closer. Brr!

I'm really glad the Google doodle has changed from yesterday, I was getting seriously bad big/small vibes from the cartoon planet zooming up in size as it got closer. Brr!
Aww, that was one of my favourite Google Doodles.

RE BIG/SMALL THINGS,
Wow,
I have never discussed this with anyone before as i honestly thought it was just me who had these nightmarish visions. i have only just seen this thread, and just thought i was nuts!
As a young child possibly 5-6 yrs old, when ill, i too used to get the feeling of objects getting smaller and smaller, in particular the TV. I would be sat there and all of a sudden it was as though the living room was stretching out in front of me, everything was getting further and further away, smaller and smaller until it was just a dot in the distance.
What made this more frightening for me was the fact that i KNEW i would hallucinate that night - always the same thing, i would be running for my life away from a massive meat ball that was covered in knife blades, this was chasing me gathering speed all the time.
Imagine being so young and having these awful things going on in your head and your parents not believing a word of it, very scary stuff when your 5 or 6. Thankfully its been a long long time since then.

RE BIG/SMALL THINGS,
Wow,
I have never discussed this with anyone before as i honestly thought it was just me who had these nightmarish visions. i have only just seen this thread, and just thought i was nuts!
As a young child possibly 5-6 yrs old, when ill, i too used to get the feeling of objects getting smaller and smaller, in particular the TV. I would be sat there and all of a sudden it was as though the living room was stretching out in front of me, everything was getting further and further away, smaller and smaller until it was just a dot in the distance.
What made this more frightening for me was the fact that i KNEW i would hallucinate that night - always the same thing, i would be running for my life away from a massive meat ball that was covered in knife blades, this was chasing me gathering speed all the time.
Imagine being so young and having these awful things going on in your head and your parents not believing a word of it, very scary stuff when your 5 or 6. Thankfully its been a long long time since then.

When a friend of mine was a child he suffered something called Wonderland Syndrome which meant his sense of spatial perspective went haywire, he would perceive himself in bed but the ceiling was miles above him, that sort of thing. This sounds a bit like what you had - maybe you'd like to do a little research to confirm and reassure yourself?

Yep ... Alice in Wonderland Syndrome:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_in_Wonderland_syndrome

Perceiving objects as smaller than they really are is micropsia.

After childhood, the condition is strongly affiliated with migraine, brain tumors, and / or other conditions that affect blood flow to the brain.

It's not uncommon as an occasional (and benign ... ) phenomenon in early to mid childhood.

I don't have the big/small thing. Can it be triggered by images such as this commercial, or is it something different?
(Don't watch if abnormally sized things make you ill!)

Occasionally I've seen trucks carrying the blades from those wind farm propellers, and the size alone makes me feel as if I'm hallucinating, though not actually ill.

ETA - spoiler tagged just in case

There's a current TV ad over here very like that, showing a family who are too big for their house. Not as elaborate but the same idea. I think it's about mortgages.

I have this. I used to have it as a child but when I realised (as I was growing up) that it hadn't happened for a while I started trying to bring it on myself. So I still get it and I don't have a brain tumour or migraines or anything like that, I have just sort of trained myself to be able to have it. I know it as Alice in Wonderland syndrome and I think it is cool.

the acknowledged way to bring on a bout of this sensation is to juggle very large heavy things with very small light things ... so, an orange, a marble and a bowling ball

but you have to be able to juggle

I have this. I used to have it as a child but when I realised (as I was growing up) that it hadn't happened for a while I started trying to bring it on myself. So I still get it and I don't have a brain tumour or migraines or anything like that, I have just sort of trained myself to be able to have it. I know it as Alice in Wonderland syndrome and I think it is cool.

yeah this sounds familiar, i just kind of "grew out of it"
if im ill with "flu" like symptoms (ok any kind of cold is classed by males is FLU) i can sometimes induce the same symptoms? but i have always been able to overcome them? as a kid it was awful though (particularly when no-one understood :()

Saw this on our travels today. It's just like the one in your Nan's front window. Only bigger.

22089858_10155170698883337_4696380256813905503_n.jpg

I used to have the "big/small" thing as a child. The only time I've had it as an adult was when I had my arm under my pillow in bed and felt that the pillow was infinite in size. Not just big, it stretched into infinity..:omg:

Most odd.

This thread also reminded me of a couple of things I used to do as a child (often when ill). One was to look at my reflection in a mirror and concentrate so hard on my features that it didn't seem like my face at all. Very hard to describe, but it was like I was "deconstructing" my features to a point where I didn't recognise myself. The other was, when lying in bed, to concentrate on looking at the ceiling and imagine that the ceiling was the floor. Eventually I would feel that this was the case and that I was attached to the ceiling (which was actually the floor). This was accompanied by the physical feelings of being somewhere up high and I would start to panic, thinking that I would fall to the floor/ceiling.

I was an odd child.....

The other was, when lying in bed, to concentrate on looking at the ceiling and imagine that the ceiling was the floor. Eventually I would feel that this was the case and that I was attached to the ceiling (which was actually the floor). This was accompanied by the physical feelings of being somewhere up high and I would start to panic, thinking that I would fall to the floor/ceiling.

I had something similar at primary school, lying on the playing field looking up at the sky. A feeling of panic would overcome me and I though gravity might fail, sending me falling off into the clouds.

The only time I've had it as an adult was when I had my arm under my pillow in bed and felt that the pillow was infinite in size. Not just big, it stretched into infinity
ive always related the sensation to my arm beneath the pillow, as you say infinite in thickness, simultaneously membrane thin ... there must be another thread as i recall posting that ...

I used to have a recurring childhood dream that seems similar to what the O.P described, but hard to explain.

The best I can describe it is to say that I would dream I was in a totally black landscape (I could still see, but the ground and sky were completely black). There would be some things on the ground that were small and vulnerable, maybe animals or very small people, but there was no interaction between me and them.

Something large and powerful would then suddenly dive down silently from the sky but stop just above ground level and slowly rise up again, causing great panic in the small creatures and absolute terror in me.

I never told anyone about this dream despite often waking up distressed, mainly because I just didn't know how to explain it.

This spatial thing is interesting. Sitting at multi lane traffic lights stationery, if an adjacent car moves slightly forward, I feel as though I am moving backwards. It makes me feel sick momentarily and make a grab for the brakes. Strangely Ms Petes also suffers from this. Is it common?

I have seen this, also in front of some religious building - possibly York or Chester. I couldn't work out what the message was.

We saw it outside Chester cathedral. Dunno where else it went.

ive always related the sensation to my arm beneath the pillow, as you say infinite in thickness, simultaneously membrane thin ... there must be another thread as i recall posting that ...

Did it fell like... someone else's arm?

I clearly remember getting this when I was a small child ( <6 ). It stopped for quite a few years, but started again when I was in my 20s; had it periodically ever since (in 40s now). Sensation of your hands somehow being huge is EXACTLY what happens.

Actually get two different weird things; one's the big/small thing, and one's the feeling that I'm simultaneously here and somewhere else - environment suddenly looks 'same yet different'. I always wondered if both of them were some kind of temporal lobe epilepsy?

I don't think I've ever told anyone this but I can remember a weird thing when I was a very little, it's vague and hard to explain, but it was like this feeling I'd get once in a blue moon, of daydream, image association(?). I would have a random mental image in my head of a stick with something like clay on it, like chicken satay skewers, and with it a sense of weight or of being pulled down. This would happen now and then, usually when I was just sat by myself thinking, like in the car with my parents. Very strange!

Back