• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Voice in Bedroom!!

lindseyinstereo1

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
The other night I was lying in bed and was on the verge of falling asleep when I heard a distinct female voice quickly sing! It was just a "AHH-ahh" kind of song, but it woke me up immediately and my dog barked! He is a greyhound so he doesnt bark unless he is truly startled or being protective. The only things I can think of are:

1) maybe some cats were going at it outside
2) maybe I was more asleep than I realized and talked out loud in my sleep

needless to say I was really scared and slept with the light on for the rest of the night!

has anyone else had anything happen to them like this?

(by the way, I'm Lindsey..I always read but rarely post :p)

Maybe it was a friend of yours outside, having a laugh?

I've done this... been close to the edge of sleep and woken myself up by saying something. I know becuase my husband is often able to tell me what I actually said, and it was what I was dreaming!

Kath

Was it "Aaah, aaah....harder, harder, faster, faster"?
Could be thin walls. Are your next door neighbours sexually active?

hehehe, styx!!

i've had similar things happen...only to realise it's just me talking in my sleep.

my sleeping patterns are really fucked anyway, and not much freaks me out with it...but a few months ago i had a really wierd experience with it.

i was woken up and had the chills because there was this wierd, evil kind of singing or moaning coming from somewhere...and then i woke up to realise it was me.

it was kind of like i was dreaming that i had woken up...only to then wake up from the dream still singing....

very wierd.

i reckon it was you, and the dog barked because you freaked the dog out.

Haunting?

River_Styx said:
Place for that is all the little Parisian tourist hotels on the Left Bank in the summer.

All those open bedroom windows in the hot, still, nights. ;)

rather not know haha

River_Styx said:
my neighbor lives alone with a cat, actually...therefore if it were me hearing him .. doing his business alone in there .. i'd rather it be a ghost!

one more weird thing

i have been known to do other weird things at night other than talking in my sleep... but mainly when I was a child i'd wake up in the middle of the night and draw these amazing pictures, always of horses .. that i drew very quickly and that were WAY beyond my 6 year old capeabilities. My mum still has some of the drawings which still confuse me a bit, i cant even try and copy them now! Maybe at night I get overly creative and imaginative or somethin. or i'm crazy. :p

This has happened to me about three times in the last month. A womans voice once and a mans on the other occasions.

I put it down to two things; I have been under stress as a result of work and B; Being on the cusp of sleep and flitting in and out of conciousness.

Funnilly enough one of the male voices sang a little tune as well. It was four notes, a sort of 'Dum dum dum dum." thing - no words as such.

exactly!!

yeah, same here... and i have been seriously stressed out b/c of work. maybe we have Buddy Holly and Janis Joplin soothing our nerves/ haha

Yeah! Lulled to sleep by the spritits of long dead rock stars! :D

I certainly didn't consider that one before!

Well, I wake up with songs IN MY HEAD, like I was listening to a stereo all nite or something. Thing is, they couldn't be GOOD songs, NO! They're really corny songs, like the other morning all I sing all day was 'You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille'! What the HELL? I must be cursed!:eek!!!!:

I often wake witha song playing too.

Oh Ruuuubeeeeeee..............

[edited to stop page break- Quixote]

I think that hearing "voices" saying/whispering something in your ear whilst mid-hypnagogic state is quite common and just a function of the brain. Could be wrong though.

I'd say you were probably making the noise as you woke up.

In my experience one of the only times that greyhounds are vocal is when they're startled from sleep (either that or they see animals running on the tv and go hyper lol) I don't think it was anything spooky altho if it was me I'd still prob sleep with the light on! :)

Lou said:
I'd say you were probably making the noise as you woke up.

Its certainly a possibility although it doesn't explain why i have heard a womans voice on occasion, (Perhaps i am more effeminate when asleep!).

I have also heard the voices of both my mother and a close freind under the same sort of circumstances. Both were, of course, not physically there. This leads me to think it probably is a result of some sort of Hypnagogic effect rather than talking in your sleep.

It gets confusing

Very late one night last March I awoke to the sound of a doorbell. I was new to the apartment and had never heard this particular doorbell. Furthermore, I frequently hear hypnogogic voices and sounds as I awake from sleeping. So I lay there in bed thinking the doorbell sound had probably just been all in my head. But then suddenly there was a rap at my window! I jumped out of bed, my heart racing, and bravely or stupidly went to the front door. It was a friend of mine, drunk, wanting to see me. :rolleyes:

Eri:
Fine, if you're going to derail this thread like that I've got you beat on two seperate anecdotes!

After I had been in this one apartment a month or so, I heard the doorbell ring in the middle of the night. After grabbing my baseball bat and cautiously peering out the window, I saw that nobody was there!!!! Oooh, spooky!!!! Turns out that the old wiring didn't like damp weather, and I would occasionally get phantom caller in the middle of the night.

When I had moved in with my wife in her townhouse before we were married, occasionally, we would hear a intermittent electronic beep once in a great while. After months of this, I finally tracked this down to the house's smoke alarm. Thinking that it was the smoke alarm telling us that its battery was geting low, I get up on the stepstool to open up the alarm.

Precariously perched on this stepstool, mind you. With my nose six inches away. I open up the smoke alarm, and a eight inch centipede a third of an inch thick, skitters out, with that sinous motion that only centipedes have. Needless to say, I tumbled down the stepstool posthaste. The last thing I wanted was to be bitten by a radioactive centipede. (Smoke alarms use Americanium in the sensor.) My name's not Peter Parker!

I've experienced the voice-in-the-ear thing a few times, and once when I was solidly awake. I had just gotten to the bottom of a staircase and was opening the door when I heard a voice in my ear telling me to be quiet. Another time, years later, I had climbed into bed but was nowhere near sleep (I'm quite the insomniac). I very distinctly heard a male voice in my ear say hello. That time frightened me, when the earlier one did not; perhaps it was being alone in a dark apartment vs. walking around my childhood house in the morning.

Don't know if this is significant or not, but the first time (the staircase voice) I heard it in my left ear, the second time in my right.

My dad told me a while back that he often heard a noise when on the point of drifting off to sleep. He knew it wasn't a real noise because it could be anything like a sound of a pile of plates crashing. Strange, but annoying when you're trying to get to sleep!

Re: one more weird thing

lindseyinstereo said:
... but mainly when I was a child i'd wake up in the middle of the night and draw these amazing pictures, . :p

thats cool, dont suppose you could post one of the pictures, id love to see it :hmm:

I've often encounted this when I'm dropping off, infact it happened two times in one night last week. The sound often changes and it can vary to a male or female voice or a high pitched noise like an alarm or siren.

I have also experienced this phenomenon, but for me it's usually like suddenly being in a room full of people shouting their heads off for a second.

this has probably already been said, but it's not at all unusual to hear voices or strange noises when coming round from a deep sleep, or to hear a blur of voices rabbiting on in your head when you're very tired and haven't slept for a while. the mind can play really peculiar tricks when you're struggling between the two states. i get a really annoying thing of just seeing endless words appearing rapidly on a sheet of paper, and once i have a feeling i invented an entire crossword puzzle! can't remember any of it though.

This happened early last week, but I've deliberately refrained from posting about it till the job was done, and it's all over but the printing without further incident, so here goes.

The night before this occurred, my husband commented that he kept hearing me on the stairs when I was in bed with him. I said that when I heard him on the stairs and I knew he wasn't on them, it was almost always the cats. He said that he had heard the noise just now (I hadn't) and both the cats were in bed with us.

This is an old, noisy house with peculiar acoustics, so we shrugged if off. If we have ghosts or fairies, they're benevolent.

So, the next day, while my husband is at work, I'm in the study going page-by-page through the manuscript, dealing with the notes the editor penciled into the margins. It's a clear, warm day after a week-long cold spell and I've left the back door ajar so the cats may or may not be inside. I hear my husband on the stairs, and then I distinctly hear him sniff in the hall outside the study; but I haven't heard the front door (which is hard to close without slamming) and he doesn't proceed past the study door to the bedroom or come into the study to say hi. I speak, and get no answer. I look in the hall, and it's empty. I look out front, and the car's not there.

So I get back to work.

The most parsimonious explanation for the sniff is that my brain, in the throes of revising, was sufficiently divorced from my body to hear my own sniff as coming from an exterior source. The stair sound almost certainly had the same cause as the stair sounds he'd been hearing, whatever that may be. Certainly this was not a frightening phenomenon; and it's hard to imagine a noncorporeal being needing to sniff.

It does not count as a before-coming, because although my husband did plenty of sniffing that evening, the sequence of coming upstairs and sniffing in the hall outside the study was not repeated.

This is the exciting level of Fortean phenomena that tend to happen to me, I'm afraid!

Slightly off topic but my wife has the annoying habit of falling asleep during a sentence. Several times we've been lying in bed chatting (as you do sometimes), she'll be speaking perfectly coherently, then utter one or two words of absolute drivel and that's it... silence, she'll be asleep. Wonder if she's trying to tell me something?

Ms Indigo said:
this has probably already been said, but it's not at all unusual to hear voices or strange noises when coming round from a deep sleep, or to hear a blur of voices rabbiting on in your head when you're very tired and haven't slept for a while. the mind can play really peculiar tricks when you're struggling between the two states. i get a really annoying thing of just seeing endless words appearing rapidly on a sheet of paper, and once i have a feeling i invented an entire crossword puzzle! can't remember any of it though.

I got one just last night! I was trying to drift off to sleep when I heard a man's voice say "hello" in the way a person would when entering a house to see if anyone's home. In fact, it sounded like someone I know. Anyway, it seemed as though it woke me up as I was trying to sleep.... but probably I was already waking up. I mentioned the doorbell sound in a previous post, but I've also gotten door knock sounds that *seemed* to wake me from sleep. :confused:

When I'm really tired but fighting off sleep for some reason, for example to get to the end of a chapter in a book ( I hate stopping half way through a chapter), I start to hear quiet music as if it is far far away.

As it plays I am compelled to listen to it, and the more I listen the louder it gets and the more my eyes close.

I normally then just turn the light off and settle down to sleep, but on a few occasions I have woken up the next morning with the light on, the book over my face and the sleep enducing music as my last memory.

I have on occasion heard strange noises while sleeping. Usually short, loud noises or voices so that it wakes you up but your not sure if you've actually heard it 'cos it stopped just as or before you fully woke up.

Then again strange noises are common in my house. Even this morning I could hear someone moving about upstairs and on the stairs. No one in the house but me and the dog. The dog was curled up at my feet all the time. We used to shout at the children for banging around upstairs all night until the first time they both went and slept over at a friends house and the noises continued.

I don't bother checking the noises now, there's never anyone there. Either I, my wife and my dog are all imagining the noises, they're paranormal in nature, or there's a completely reasonable explanation.

Hope no-one does break into the house though. They could bang around all they want and I wouldn't even check....

I know that's kind of off subject but i think what I'm trying to say is that people hear strange noises when they are awake. Just because someone hears a strange noise or voice as they are entering or leaving sleep does not definately mean that they are hypnagogic or hypnapompic in nature, many may be explained by this, but if strange noises happen a lot of the time then some must happen as people are going to sleep or waking up, whether the real reason for the noises is actually paranormal or not.

Anyway, back on to night time noises. This might make me sound a little psychotic, but does anyone else ever find silence too loud?
Maybe lying in bed with major insomnia you realise how perfectly quiet it is, then the silence gets louder and louder and louder. Not a noise, but an unbearably loud lack of noise?

?

I'll get me straight-jacket

I know what you mean. Sometimes, when i cant get to sleep, I find myself lying with my hands over my ears, even though you could hear a pin drop??

Annoying isn't it.

At least I'm not mad.

Unless we both are...

Back