Welcome To The New Board: Technical Problems & Known Issues

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Ok,so my post vanished.Odd.

Oh no it hasn't. Ignore me lololol
I noticed that too with mine but it appeared when I refreshed the page.
This is an outstanding issue that's been bugging us over the weekend. The new site is operating from servers in the USA, and transactions and security are handled through a cloud service.

Slow updating - resulting in having to refresh a page to see its current version - has been noted since the new site was established. We're still working on diagnosing and hopefully fixing the issue.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
A mere "Thankyou" seems inadequate in light of how much has been saved, but thankyou will have to do.
People have worked hard, but we were hugely encouraged by the will and determination of the membership as a whole. We can all thank one another. Now - as EnolaGaia said there are bugs and so on, and doubtless issues will crop up as we go along, but mostly - we made it.

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
A most impressive job, fellas. I've seen a lot of discussion boards vanish, and a few that have moved more or less successfully, but never approaching anything like this! From here it looks almost seamless, but I know it took a lot of hard work by a dedicated group of people. Here's to ya.:boozing:

I'm so thrilled to be here again, and offer hearty congrats to all those involved with the hard work of making this transition go so smoothly!

Mazel tov!

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
That's also happened to me in the last 15 or so minutes .. I've just refreshed the homepage and I've got a new overview page to look at now which is a bloody relief! .. (and welcome back everyone)

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I posted some words of wisdom (i.e. rambling defence) on the Doctor Who thread and the post has disappeared, and I note not all the posts are showing up as "new" and unread on this thread, so I'll just leave this as a heads-up/test combo.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Yeah, listen to Swifty, "Refresh" is the key at the moment.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
PLEASE KEEP ALL POSTS IN THIS THREAD ON-TOPIC WITH REGARD TO WELCOME-BACK COMMENTS OR TECHNICAL ISSUES.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
The post a link link poster works fine, at least (I didn't quote anything!).

Kingsize Wombat

Abominable Snowman
From here it looks like a totally painless transition.

Those who did the hard yakka will probably know better.

A big thanks to all those who have made this possible!

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
The whole nonsense about the end of the board all seems like a bad dream...

Well done all involved and a million thanks for preserving this place and keeping our community together!

kamalktk

Justified & Ancient
The transition being invisible like it has been means a ton of work was done on the back end to make it so.

Thank you for the hard work!

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Thank you to all the clever people who have relocated our community. Kind of like going into another dimension.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
"Help, I can't see my post!"

This is a major difficulty.

We experienced it during testing before the board went live, but it was intermittent. Now a lot of people are reporting that their posts/like/changes are invisible.

It's very likely indeed that whatever you posted/changed was actually posted or changed, the problem is that you are seeing an older (cached?) version of the page that was generated before the post/change: we dubbed this ghosting and it's highly annoying.

rev_dino has been informed, but for now the only solution seems to be either logging out, clearing cookies and logging back in or (more reasonably) hitting refresh multiple times until you see the change/post.

I'm sorry about this, but we had hoped that it would sort itself and it hasn't.

Added to known issues in post 1.

AngelAlice

bemused & saddened observer
Hello all - so very happy this place has been saved and so grateful to all the hardworking people who made it happen. If we’d lost it all it would have been a tragedy. - And we even have our dear old avatars!

wolfie61

Stop pressing the what?
congrats guys! the hard work has paid off. we are no longer wandering around the ether, randomly muttering stuff to strangers...