• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Welsh Ghost

A

Anonymous

I once read an account (supposedly a true one) of a house by the Welsh coast, which was haunted (at certain times of the year) by a ghost who would whisper "why won't you turn around and look at me..." in the ear of anyone foolish enough to venture along a particular corridor.

I can't remember the name or location of the house - or if anyone turned around and looked!
Can anyone shed any light on this?

Rhossili Rectory stands alone amongst the sweeping cliffs and hills of the Gower Peninsula. With its stunning views across the Atlantic Ocean, this seems as good a place as any to be the location of ghostly goings on.

Its been described as 'Something very unpleasant indeed' that enters the Rectory for this winter's tale, as occupants have felt sudden drops in temperature and a cold chill around their shoulders, often hearing a low, gruff voice challenge them from behind by saying 'why don't you turn around and look at me?'. Frozen by fear, very few people have answered, but those who do have seen no one.
http://perso.libertysurf.co.uk/markwd56/wales_churches1a.htm
A later reverend serving the parishes of Rhossili and Llangennith reported that the parsonage itself was haunted. He and his wife, hearing some movement on the stairs of the house and going to investigate, were confronted with a ghost of an Edwardian couple. The reverend stated that the couple moved within touching distance before disappearing into thin air. A decidedly odd aspect to these ghosts was that their skins held both the colour and texture of elephant hide!

Other vicars have spoken of something unpleasant coming out of the ocean at night and skulking into the parsonage and pools of cold air were common reoccurrences in the house. One rector actually fled from the building after feeling an unworldly presence in the house only then to hear a spectral voice ask "Why don't you turn around and look at me?"
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/elphick/swansea-gowermpegs/rhossiliwalki.pdf

Back