• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Are The Odds Of That? (Birth Dates' Clustering In A Group)

avondrow

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
(I was going to add this as post in the ‘Fortean dates of birth’ thread, but as it’s off at a bit of a tangent, and I’ve never started a thread of my own on this board, I thought I’d give it a go!)

A while back I posted what I thought was an amusing and instructive little anecdote on another site; basically I related how a friend had downloaded an astrology program and produced astrological profiles for myself and a group of friends. After several people had studied theirs and remarked on how accurate and uncanny they were, she realised that the program had been using the American date format, ie, Month/day/year and she had put peoples month of birth instead of day, so everyone had got the wrong profile, but everyone had thought that it fitted them anyway. Tee hee and yah boo to pop astrology.
I didn’t think any deeper into it until I got a rather hostile response from some guy who virtually called me a liar, saying that for this to have happened, everyone involved would have to have been born in the first 12 days of the month. I checked this out and it was true, all our birthdays fell before the 12th of the respective month. When I confirmed this, he was very sceptical, claiming that the odds against this happening were, er, astronomical.
Now, despite having been put through a year of statistics as part of my degree, I’m not too hot on probability; can any one help work out what the odds are? (Maybe in my original post I created the impression that more people were actually involved, we are talking about 8 individuals.)
If the odds are stacked against this, have I discovered a new phenomena? Does being born in the early part of the month skew you towards an interest in Forteana??
Ideas and comments please!
:D

I was born on the 29th (in 12 twelve days time in fact) but then not much fortean happens to me:(

Same day as me Bro then. you're not he are you? you're supposed to be doin that kitchen ya skivin B*st*rd :D

Not me. I'd definitely remember having a brother called 4imix:D

And anyway, I'm not allowed to do DIY. Not since the incident with the wallpaper glue, the cat and the old lady next door...
:)

Don't you just multiply stuff together? If we say that the odds of any one person having a birthday in the first few days of a month is about 1/3 then it should just be 1/3 to the power of 8, or 1/ 3^8 which is something close to 1 in 6561.

This is based on a bit of statistics A level which is going back abount 10 year so it's probably wrong...

Hahaha, when we played around with an astrology program we found that it had pro-cannabis messages embedded in it!

(I just had an email from some astrology site- spooky!!)

Hang on, let me get my calculator...

I would first stress that I'm not a whizzo at maths, so no responsibility can be accepted! :rolleyes:

Right then. There are 365.25 days in a year, divided by 12 which gives an average of 30.4375 days in each month. So the odds of one person being born up to and including the 12th of a month is 12/30.4375 which is 0.39425 or 39.43%.
So if you have 2 individuals, and wanted the odds on them both being born in the first 12 days of a month, it is 39.43% of 39.43% which is 15.54%.
So if you have 8 individuals all being born in the first 12 days of the month you must multiply it each time, 39.43% of 39.43% of 39.43% of 39.43% of 39.43% of 39.43% of 39.43% of 39.43% which works out at odds of 0.0005836 or 0.058%. So it's about six ten thousandths, or, to put it in bookies lingo, odds of 1713 to 1 against.
Not wildly astronomical, but quite an impressive coincidence!

Regards,
Big Bill Robinson

Back