• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What did I see at Dunwich?

liveinabin

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
We went to Duwich yesterday.

(Small village in the coast of East Anglia it used to be one of the largest ports in the country until most of it fell into the sea in the middle ages. Now theres just 6 or so cottages and good pub.)

Sitting on the beach we were looking out over the sea when I noticed what looked like a seagull bobbing on the sea. As I watched it turned out not to be a gull as it was round in shape like somethings head. It then vanised under the water and although I carried on watching for a while I did not see it resurface.

Any ideas?

Thats what I thought. I wanted a bit of confirmation.
I was hoping it was some kind of sea monster really.

What colour was it? (Seals are various shades of gray, sometimes mottled.)

No this is Dunwich Suffolk UK. It was grey I think but the weather was hot but over cast so most things at sea looked quite grey.

Maybe it was a seagull, but a shark pulled it under. ;)

The ocean scares me.

:shock:

I could go thru any jungle, scale mountains, put me in any cave you can come across; but dont set me in the ocean. The only 2 times I swam, I was bitten by a crab twice, and once a sea urchin wrapped around my left foot, then when i was practically to the shore a stingray shot past. That was enough for me. The vastness is creepy to me as well.

I've seen lots of seals looking exactly like your description, so I guess one of them.

I have no idea where manitees live in other parts of the world, btu in florida they often stick only their noses out of the water. It looks exactly like a coconut except a lighter color if the manitee has lighter skin obviously. Coconuts look round, just like their noses out of the water. Could be an explanation but I dunno if there are manitees in that area.

East Anglia is part of the UK, so no manatees (unless it was a Stellar's Sea cow [extinct relative of the manatee]). It was most likely a seal, I've seen them watching surfers here in Cornwall.

Back