• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Did Your Mum & Dad Tell You?

A

Anonymous

What did your mom and dad tell you if you wouldn't go to sleep when they wanted, or when you made a fuss in the night about that "noise" or "those figures" at your bedside? And was it always your mind playing tricks? Is there some genuinely scary creatures out there that our society has chosen to warn us about that we no-longer beleive in?

Well, go on...discuss...heheheheh...

I wasn't told anything as I was forbidden to
a. get out of bed
b. talk after lights-out
c. switch on a light
and especially
d. bother my parents.

Breaking any of the above rules always incurred a belting the like of no belting before.

AFAIR, I normally lay very still in bed and tried hard to sleep with my eyes open.
:(

Funny thing is I don't ever remember telling my parents about any of the things I "saw" but I guess they would have told me it was my imagination. While on some level I accept that explanation, on another level I find it unsatisfactory.

I don't remember them telling me anything. I don't think I ever bothered them about stuff like that. Though I rember believing that the creaking of the stairs was Count Dracula comming and that if I lay very still and hid the fact that I was breathing he would think that I was dead and leave me alone.

Of course I got over that the first time I actually saw a Dracula film. Though I did ask for a sliver crusafix for my next birthday, just to be sure.

Cujo

"It's just a shadow/the wind/the house settling. Now go to sleep!"

Nonny

Originally posted by Nonny Mouse
"It's just a shadow/the wind/the house settling. Now go to sleep!"

Yes! And all the while I'd be crying silently like the girl on Blair Witch Project. "I'm so-o scared. (sniff)"

Originally posted by Oracle
Is there some genuinely scary creatures out there that our society has chosen to warn us about that we no-longer beleive in?

Does this mean there are a class of criptids who can't harm you if you have your covers over your head? Do these criptids inhabit dolls, closets and underneath beds? Are these criptids also kept cringing and at bay by electric night lights?

I don't know. I certainly believed there was something to be afraid of in the dark. Why did the covers always seem like a good place to hide?

I was always told it was the ghost of a nun that used to walk along the landing.
The scary thing was that the bathroom do is right at the end of the landing, so when you open it you are looking right down the hall. This is why I used to peer through the gap by the hinge of the door to check the landing was clear before going out of the bathroom.

It was either that or the bats in the attic!

I was told it was the house settling and if I still couldn't sleep I used to crawl into bed between my parents. Mum and I used to laugh at dad's snoring. :D

Speaking of covers, does anyone here have a reasonable theory or explaination for that sensation of the covers been pulled off of you gradually whilst you're trying to ignore it in the hope that it isn't real...?

On Topic:

We used to get threatened with being sent to 'Gadgarth' if we'd been naughty.

(It used to be a borstal for boys).

... Slightly Off Topic:
I used to have 'wolf under the bed' phobia, when I was a really young kid. It was years before I dared to sleep with my hands, over the side, or even above the blankets, in case the wolf, or something, bit my fingers.

It's apparently quite a common phobia and it's supposed to have a rational explanation, something about 'atavistic fears' being given a symbolic form, in our minds, but I wonder why it takes the form of a wolf, so often?

Tulip Tree said:
Are these criptids also kept cringing and at bay by electric night lights?
None of the "cryptids" I've ever 'seen' were.

I also used to have the wolf under the bed phobia. It turned into a werewolf phobia that hasn't quite gone yet.
Hiding under the covers was a regular occurrence for me, I think the beating of my heart drowning out any immaginary noise was the reason I was scared.
I did see a pair of red eyes under the bed once and freaked, turned out it was only a monster.

Re: On Topic:

Originally posted by AndroMan
I used to have 'wolf under the bed' phobia, when I was a really young kid. It was years before I dared to sleep with my hands, over the side, or even above the blankets, in case the wolf, or something, bit my fingers.

At least if there was a wolf under the bed he would have eaten the man with the chainsaw that cuts off your arm if you leave them hanging over the side.

I used to be told to lie down and closemy eyes so that the sandman could put sand in them, I remember on one occassion screaming the house down at the suggestion that anyone do anything to my eyes ... I was terrified of the bathroom in the house we lived in when I was small, it had a hue arches window at one end, with no curtain up at it, and I wouldn't go in there at night on my own, if I stayed in bed and yelled for someone to come take me to the toilet I'd be ignored, and god help me if I wet the bed as a result, so I started going downstairs to ask for someone to take me to the toilet, my mother would sneer and tell me to go on my own as I was a big girl now (4 or 5) and could go to the toilet by myself. More that once in the midst of my needing a pee and needing someone to accompany me to the bathroom I wet myself (and was smacked for it) one time I even crapped myself (risking the wrath of my mother) rather than go into that bathroom by myself. neither of my parents made any effort to reassure me, they were more likely to smack or threaten to beat me to within an inch of my life for bothering them, so for many many years I was scared of the dark, monsters under my bed, dark windows etc

Hmm.. Can't remember if my folks ever gave me any advice/threats about nocturnal supernatural activity. However, something which a lot of us have mentioned as a staple 'fact' of youthful night-time fears is the idea of the blankets being an inpenetrable shield which bedroom invaders can't pass. To this day, I find it easier to get to sleep if all my extremities are under the covers, preferablt with the quilt tucked under all round me. To be fair, as an adult, I also acknowledge that this is because some of the houses I've lived in over the years have been freezing cold. Maybe the warmth/'wrapped-up-ness' is a subconscious reminder of even earlier infant experiences, ,being wrapped up in bankets and held close as a small baby, or maybe even a womb-memory-type-thing..?

Oh, and mine wern't wolves or vampires, they were far less specific (and therefore for me even creepier - after all, I knew what vampires and werewolves were scared of, but how do you fight off a 'thingy'?). However, one other thing that could keep them at bay was by keeping my eyes closed - what was I thinking? That whatever was under my bed had some sense of 'good form' and wouldn't attack me unawares? Kids, eh?

Fenris said:
I also used to have the wolf under the bed phobia. It turned into a werewolf phobia that hasn't quite gone yet.

Maybe you need to change your av. ;)

Lobelia, your childhood sounds very sad. :glum: Have a :likee: .

I don't think you realise how good your parents are until you hear how they compare to others.

All this talk of going to the toilet in the middle of the night reminds me of the scene from 6th sense.

Oh, and I used to be scared to sleep with my arms outside the covers too. Still am after watching a scary film late at night...

I was born in a flat in a 200 year old house- the plumbing was really something to hear, and my parents actually told us kids it was a monster in the pipes, it was called the 'Choccy monster' . Whenever we heard them rattling and roaring away we said it was the monster. I don't remember being scared of it!
I later lived in a haunted house for several years which could get pretty terrifying, I think I got the usual 'wind blowing things' explanation , but how can the wind rattle every doorknob in the house at once , or make something fly across the room from the back of a shelf?

Choccy (chocky?) monster, Marion? Maybe your parents were John Wyndham fans. Good book!

For me, it was a skeleton under the bed. My parents would switch out the light to leave and then it had to be put on again for me to see and be sure there wasn't a skeleton there.:D
Later on, when I was about 7 years old we moved to a big victorian house complete with "noises" and eventually a poltergheist, which I've talked about on other threads. I wasn't afraid of him/her/it and sometimes played games with him. But then my aunt and gran who lived with us were spiritualists, so not a scary big deal!

All this talk of going to the toilet in the middle of the night reminds me of the scene from 6th sense.
Well thanks a bunch Pal!:rolleyes:

goes off to turn on ALL the house lights before bed

I was always scared of walking under our attic hatch incase an "alien" (as in "Alien" the movies) got me like it did with that guy in the cooling tower room when he's looking for his cat. Poor sod! I was always creeped out by a lifesize model of an "Alien" warrior that used to crawl around the ceiling of a shop in Hull called Armadillo. I used to run and run out soe it wouldn't get me, forgetting completely of course that these things moved at lightening fast speeds and had a whippy tail thing going on...how dense was i...comapred to that being scared of wolves seems quite a relaxed thought than being ripped to shreds by some evil-acid-for-blood creature form deep space!

Originally posted by Spooky angel
.Maybe you need to change your av.

Maybe Ill change my av to a puppy or something fluffy and cuddly.
:p

Spooky angel said:
Oh, and I used to be scared to sleep with my arms outside the covers too.
I've just realised I used to always have to sleep with the covers above my ears. Not so much now, though. Mainly due to certain beverages.

Dark Detective said:
I've just realised I used to always have to sleep with the covers above my ears. Not so much now, though. Mainly due to certain beverages.
They do help, don't they?

Despite being afraid of the dark, my beloved parents were sure that the best cure was a totally dark room with a securely closed door. ("It's your imagination, ignore it and it will go away!") I kept my eyes tightly closed and played dead for several years until I didn't see the shadows moving around my room, and approaching my bed anymore. But I could still sense them, and do to this day. :nooo:

With me it was always the closet that put the willies up me, convinced that the doors would open at any moment, never told my folks, they were much worse than what might have been in the closet :cross eye

It didn't help that they took me to see Jaws when I was seven, for weeks after I was having nightmares about teeth and severed heads.

Nothing. 'cause I never told them about the man with the big knife that would stab me if I didn't pretend to be asleep. Or the thing under the bed. Or the white yeti I dreamt was trying to get into my room.

And I still sleep with most of my head (and the rest of me) under the duvet, except when I'm in company. :D

I don't ever remember telling my parents about my night fears. In any case, my mother would have most likely said, "It's just the house settling down, go back to sleep". Though she was pretty obliging with the sticky sweet stuff when it was a tickly cough keeping me awake.

Although under the covers was always the safest place, you could NEVER put your feet right down to the bottom of the bed because there were spiders and scorpions sleeping down there....

There was a good quote that I heard a few years back, it might have been Stephen King but I don't quite recall:

"When you're a kid you don't sleep with your leg sticking out of bed 'cos you know that the monster under the bed will get it. When you're an adult you don't sleep with your leg sticking out of bed 'cos you know that there's no monster under the bed but you don't want to take the chance"

Or something like that.

Back