• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Happened To Stefan Michalak? (Falcon Lake; Canada; 1967)

A

Anonymous

An interesting case with supposed evidence of physical harm caused to Mr. Michalak by the "exhaust" of a landed UFO.
The full story can be found here.

Link is dead. The MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20051025121420/http://ufos.about.com/library/weekly/aa092198.htm

See later post for the full text of the MIA webpage.

A picture of the burns resides here, whilst Michalak's sketch of the UFO is here..

Both links are dead, and no archived version of either was found.
See later posts for alternate (and probably better) images of both.

The story goes that the burns came and went over the years, which made me think of stigmata. Could someone believe so strongly in what happened that the physical effects manifest themselves?

Last edited by a moderator:
Coincidentally, I watched a program on this case just this afternoon. The guy's son said his father "just didn't have it in him" (imagination-wise) to make up something like this.
Other than having to be treated for the burns, and having
to write the "pamphlet" to try and raise money (it lost money,)
it sounded like the guy just got on with his life, and didn't
dwell on it anymore than he had to (the reporters, the Mayo Clinic visits, etc...)

Isn't it typical for those with stigmata to develope a kind of mono-mania towards religion? My point being that this guy wasn't
obsessed with his encounter... it really just seemed to be an annoyance to him. To me, that says he WAS suffering a real
reaction to whatever he was exposed to, as opposed to something his "belief" (faith?) was creating.

my 2 cents -
TVgeek

You're right, Mr. Geek, that Michalak certainly didn't display any kind of obsession regarding his encounter, and was remarkably pragmatic about the whole thing. It's just that the "recurrence" of the burns made the word "stigmata" pop into my head when I heard it. It's an interesting side issue, I think, to ask if physical effects can be manifested in someone if they believed something happened to them with enough strength. I've seen footage of people under hypnosis being suggested that they are being burned, even though they are not, and developing a mark as if they really had been.
The witness in this case was, again, "not given to flights of fancy", so what the heck happened?
This also reminds me of the Alfred/Albert(?) Burtoo case, an extremely down to earth elderly gentleman who claimed to have been visited whilst out walking. To create a story like this was totally out of character for them.

The Burtoo case has always been one of the most convincing to me for that very reason - Burtoo was a man who had nothing whatsoever to gain from his UFO story, and quite a lot that he could have lost, certainly in terms of reputation.

He was an honest old gent who had something extremely unusual happen to him, and he related it in a calm and unsensational manner: this is a rare commodity these days among witnesses, who tend to fall into two camps - those who sense a swift buck and milk it for all it's worth, and those who don't want to end up on Oprah and so anonymously let slip about their encounter: frustratingly the latter tend to be the more detailed and interesting cases while the former are usually the same old "couldn't move, big black eyes, up to spaceship, probe up bum, woke up, bad dreams, just know it really happened, out in paperback next week, ker-ching!" stuff.

Michalak, from what I remember, said from quite early on he wished he'd never mentioned it (or was that Lonnie Zamora?)

Stu

I note four things about this case (my dear Watson!)

1) The presence of veins of quartz in the immediate area

2) The humming noise

3) The sulphurous smell

4) The smell of burning electrical insulation

Quartz is thought to be associated with Earthlights, and can be shown in the lab to flouresce (sp?) when under pressure.

Humming noises are a feature of many different kinds of 'encounters', and may relate to the presence of electrical fields.

Again, a sulphurous smell is a traditional sign of the presence of entities, including of course His Satanic Majesty.

The second smell couldn't be a clearer indication of some sort of electrical effect

Note also the way in which the objects are fluid in form and colour at first, and the one that stays seems to 'settle' as the encounter goes on. All this leads me to suspect that Mr M ran into some form of EMF event, affecting his brain to the extent he entered an altered state of cosciousness. The classic 'flying saucer', he sketched is a culturally determined hallucination.

The burns could have been an EMF effect, but their recurrence strongly suggests they were psychosomatic. As to why they returned, I think you'd have to delve into Mr M's life, both inner and outer, in great detail to find out. There's masses of stuff out there to show that the mind can cause quite dramatic changes on the skin, both positive (cures for skin complaints under hypnosis) and negative (stress excema).

Not Sure

Not sure about all that, but this is one of the most interesting, and cogent, cases of close encounters. What he experienced is unknown but it's hard to argue that he made it all up.

Good case...

This is a very good case of weirdness which reminds me of one that happened in France in the 60's I believe to a man Vallee called Dr X. Apparently he was awakened one night and went to look out the window and saw a ufo split and merge into two objects and then a beam of light hit him in the chest. The next day he had strange triangular marks and so did his young son. Also Dr X had a war wound that was 'healed' according to testimony from his doctor.
The triangular' rashes' remained for some time I believe. I'll try and find a link to this.

Dark Detective said:
The story goes that the burns came and went over the years, which made me think of stigmata. Could someone believe so strongly in what happened that the physical effects manifest themselves?

I'm not sure how relevant it is to a burn case, but when I was about three, I took strong exception to the dentist drilling a tooth (I'd chipped one, and he was smoothing off the edge) and bit him as he was working. The drill made a big welt on my tongue, which eventually went away. For years thereafter, that welt used to appear and disappear for no reason that I could tell. The most recent manifestation was two or three years ago (I'm almost 42 now). It happens less these days than it used to, but I've little doubt it'll return again someday.

very good case

right up there with the (I still think is tops) Cash/Landrum 1980 case. also remember that one case where the older gent was walking and this object landed and these two things that looked like giant sea urchins (or old time land mines) big balls with spikes , came rollin up upon him and he passed out...further investigations into the "site" showed where these things had "rolled" that one is a top 10'ner.:eek!!!!:

Re: Re: What happened to Stephen Michalak?

Windwhistler said:
I'm not sure how relevant it is to a burn case, but when I was about three, I took strong exception to the dentist drilling a tooth (I'd chipped one, and he was smoothing off the edge) and bit him as he was working. The drill made a big welt on my tongue, which eventually went away. For years thereafter, that welt used to appear and disappear for no reason that I could tell. The most recent manifestation was two or three years ago (I'm almost 42 now). It happens less these days than it used to, but I've little doubt it'll return again someday.

Excellent point, and yes indeed, belief can produce very real marks and injuries, including burns sure.

Your welt may return on anniversaries, perhaps, or due to some reminders of the original incident you may not even consciously notice. Hope it stays away for you from now on.

The blog 'Three Dollar Kit' (a bit strident for my tastes, but very detailed and does lay out information very well) has now looked at the Michalak / Falcon Lake case, highlighting inconsistencies in the story.

Although a staple of old mass market UFO books, this one in fairness hasn't been rated very highly by sceptics for a long time.

https://threedollarkit.weebly.com/falcon-lake.html

Last edited:
... The full story can be found here.
Link is dead. The MIA webpage can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/20051025121420/http://ufos.about.com/library/weekly/aa092198.htm
See later post for the full text of the MIA webpage. ...
For archival purposes, here's the full text from the MIA web article.

UFO at Falcon Lake

Near Falcon Lake
Whiteshell Provincial Park
Manitoba, Canada
20 May 1967
12:15 p.m.

During Victoria Day week-end, Canadian Stephen Michalak of Winnipeg, a mechanic by trade, decided to do some prospecting in the Whiteshell Provincial Park . Michalak was an amateur geologist and had been prospecting in the area many times. Others had found several quartz veins near Falcon Lake that were associated with silver deposits, and Michalak had himself found a few promising sites. So, on May 19, 1967, he traveled from Winnipeg to Falcon Lake, where he spent the night in a motel on the Trans-Canada Highway.

Michalak left his motel at 5:30 that morning and headed north into the wilds of the park. At about 9:00 a.m. he found a quartz vein near a small stream. At 11:00 a.m. he ate lunch, then continued to examine the quartz formation. At 12:15 p.m. Michalak's concentration was disturbed by the cackling of some geese. He looked up and was surprised to see two red, glowing cigar-shaped objects descending at a forty-five degree angle. As they came nearer, their appearance became more oval and then disc-shaped.

As he watched, one of the objects stopped and hovered, while the other one descended and landed on a large, flat rock about 160 feet away from him. After a few moments the object still in the air departed, changing from red to orange to grey as it flew into the west and disappeared behind the clouds. The object on the ground also turned from red to grey and finally to the color of "hot stainless steel" surrounded by a golden-hued glow. He had been wearing welding goggles while chipping at the quartz to protect his eyes from flying rock fragments, and now they served the additional purpose of protecting his eyes from a brilliant purple light that was shining through openings in the object's exterior. The object was making a hissing sound and a whirring noise, and it gave off a sulphurous smell.

For several minutes, Michalak stayed where he was and sketched the object. After about half an hour, a door opened in the side of the object, revealing a lighted interior. Michalak decided to move closer, and when he was approximately sixty feet away from the object, he began to hear two voices over the other sounds coming from the object.

Believing that the object was a secret experimental American craft of some sort, Michalak called out in English. There was no response, so he tried Russian, German, Italian, French, Ukrainian, and then English again. There was still no response.

Summoning his nerve, Michalak approached the open door and stuck his head inside. There he saw a maze of lights on what appeared to be a panel, and beams of light in horizontal and diagonal patterns. There was also a cluster of lights flashing in a random sequence "like on a computer."

Not seeing anyone, he pulled back and waited. Suddenly, three panels slid together, closing the opening completely. Michalak then examined the outer surface of the object, noting that it was like highly polished colored glass with no breaks or seams in its surface. He touched it, and it melted his glove.

Without warning, the object moved, and something like an exhaust vent was now in front of him. It was about nine inches high by six inches wide, and contained a uniform pattern of round holes, each about 1/16 inch in diameter. A blast of hot gas shot from these holes onto his chest, setting his shirt and undershirt on fire and causing him severe pain. He tore off his burning garments and threw them to the ground. He looked up in time to see the craft depart like the first, and felt a rush of air as it ascended.

After the object was gone, Michalak noticed a strong odor of burning electrical insulation along with the sulphurous smell he had noticed earlier. Some moss on the ground had been set on fire by his burning shirts, and so he stamped it out.

The spot where the object had landed looked as if it had been swept clean, but piled up in a 15 foot circle was a collection of pine needles, dirt and leaves. As he looked around, he developed a severe headache, became nauseous, and broke out in a cold sweat. His nausea became worse, and he soon vomited. He decided to head back to the motel, and on the way back he had to stop several times because of vomiting.

Finally, after asking for help from a passing RCMP officer and being refused, he reached the motel. At 4:00 p.m., he entered the coffee shop and asked where he could find a doctor. He was told that the nearest doctor was in Kenora, Ontario, 45 miles east of Falcon Lake. Michalak decided to return to Winnipeg rather than go into Ontario.

The next bus to Winnipeg didn't come through until around 8:45 p.m., so he went to his room and called his wife. He told her not to worry, but that he had had an accident and to send their son to meet him at the bus terminal. He got to Winnipeg at around 10:15 p.m., and his son immediately took him to the Misericordia Hospital, where his headache and nausea were treated and the curious burn marks on his chest in the shape of a grid were noted.

One of the RCMP investigators tried to make the case that Michalak had burned his chest on a barbecue grill. However, the burn pattern was opposite to what it would have been had that been the case.

There was a manned firetower nearby, but the lookouts reportedly saw nothing that day.

Michalak never made any money off his experience. In fact, he had to pay all of his own medical expenses, including a trip to the Mayo Clinic on Minnesota. A small, privately published booklet he wrote on the experience lost money.

Over the course of the next two years, Michalak was examined by more than one dozen physicians in the United States and Canada. Site investigations were made by members of the RCMP, RCAF, government officials and numerous civilians. Among those who traveled back to the site with Michalak were representatives of: the RCAF (Royal Canadian Air Force) Training Command Headquarters, CFB (Canadian Forces Base) Winnipeg, RCMP CID (Criminal Investigations Division); the federal Department of Health and Welfare, and the Manitoba provincial Department of Health and Welfare. Also, the University of Colorado Condon Committee investigated the case, Life magazine reporters came to Manitoba and two civilian UFO groups, APRO (Aerial Phenomena Research Organization) and CAPRO (Canadian APRO), became involved. Finally, the federal Department of Mines and Natural Resources got involved to a degree, as did the Whiteshell Nuclear Research Establishment (WNRE), the Manitoba Cancer Institute, the Mayo Clinic, and a host of other medical establishments.

Canadian Chris Rutkowski thoroughly investigated this case, and the details of his investigations may be found at Too Close an Encounter.

References
Above Top Secret by Timothy Good
The UFO Book by Jerome Clark

More links on this topic:
Too Close an Encounter
Chris Rutkowski's investigation of the original incident.

SALVAGED FROM THE WAYBACK MACHINE:

... A picture of the burns resides here, whilst Michalak's sketch of the UFO is here..
See later posts for alternate (and probably better) images of both.
Here is a good version of one of the burn pictures from a newspaper archive. This is the image most often published with the initial news stories.

X-NEP2500394.jpg

SOURCE: https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/f...e-manitoba-kindburned-bewildered-and-badgered

... Michalak's sketch of the UFO is here..
See later posts for alternate (and probably better) images of both. ...
Here's an image of the sketch Michalak drew. This is probably a better image than the one originally posted.

Edit to Add:
A larger (though still not clearly readable) version of this sketch is accessible at the Canadian Encyclopedia Archives:
https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/ufos-in-canada

Last edited:
I can't imagine why he would intentionally burn himself on a grill or 'waffle iron' and make up a ufo tale.....but people have done strange things before. For me it has all the typical hall marks of a 'high strangeness' ufo case. What was interesting was that he saw no 'aliens' in his case even though the door to the 'craft' opened. It has been said many times before but it's almost like these encounters are staged for some reason. Why would alien crafts land in the middle of the woods near him , open their door so he could look in ,then leave a mark on him as evidence but not enough apparently to convince anyone. What's the point of any of this ?

Chris Rutkowski's 1994 version of his report on the incident provides a lot of details and illustrations. The full article is accessible as a PDF file at the NICAP link below.

THE FALCON LAKE CASE: TOO CLOSE AN ENCOUNTER
Chris Rutkowski
Journal of UFO Studies, ns 5. 1994, 1-34

https://www.nicap.org/articles/670520falconlake_JUFOS.pdf

I can't imagine why he would intentionally burn himself on a grill or 'waffle iron' and make up a ufo tale.....but people have done strange things before. For me it has all the typical hall marks of a 'high strangeness' ufo case. What was interesting was that he saw no 'aliens' in his case even though the door to the 'craft' opened. It has been said many times before but it's almost like these encounters are staged for some reason. Why would alien crafts land in the middle of the woods near him , open their door so he could look in ,then leave a mark on him as evidence but not enough apparently to convince anyone. What's the point of any of this ?

One point made by the author of 'Three Dollar Kit' is that the burn photographed back in 1967, and as recalled by the police officer flagged down by Michalak, wasn't very grill-like at all, and indeed seemed a bit like it could have been the result of coming into contact with the ash of a fire. The grill pattern on his shirt is implied to have been a hoax, as was the recurrence of grill-like marks on Michalak's skin the following year and seen in the photograph above (since they didn't actually match the original burn).

It is also suggested that Michalak initially made up the story as a fairly small scale hoax, but having been bombarded with attention by the press, assorted kooks, etc, was compelled to run with it, leading to the tale growing in the telling.

In truth I'm not really sure. Michalak got nothing from the publicity, and some details of the sighting - such as the total absence of any visible occupants, overheard voices aside - do feel quite odd: 'High Strangeness', as you say. If you were simply making up a story, why would you take this route?

Chris Rutkowski's 1994 version of his report on the incident provides a lot of details and illustrations. ...

One such detail in Rutkowski's report(s) concerns Michalak's name, which has been mis-cited quite often. On page 1 of the 1994 report Rutkowski included this footnote:
* Although called Stephen, Steven or Sieve in other published accounts, Michalak advises lhat his proper Christian name is Stefan

Reactions: BS3
I'm interested by Rutkowski's suggestion that Michalak might have had a genuinely anomalous encounter, but that someone else involved with it made an attempt to 'improve' the evidence, explaining the more dubious elements. It is reiterated that Michalak (and his family) were intelligent, apparently sincere people and that a psychological evaluation suggested that he was very unlikely to be a hoaxer.

I would ask did a doctor ck the burn marks.....that would solve that....did anyone wipe off the marks with a washcloth?
This should have been done right away. And again what would be his motivation for such a bizarre claim?
I 'd be interested to know if he had any later anomalous things happen to him. Many close encounter witnesses seem to.

Last edited:
Interesting how stories change - not by the experiencer, but retellers. The "threedollarkit" blog (post 11) states that Michalak heard "human voices". The other Rutkowski article (post 17) states "humanlike voices". Big difference when investigating an experience.

It's basically the Sonny Desvergers problem: a possibly untrustworthy witness with apparently strong supporting evidence and no obvious motive to make the story up.
That is precisely the situation.

All still under consideration... and a new development.

I have come across the following, only earlier today, which Chris Rutkowski confirms he has never seen before.

Although the background story to this particular drawing is presently unknown, apparently Michalak did sometimes receive requests for a sketch.

Dating from at least 1968, when Canadian 'anomalies' researcher and author, Brent Raynes, received a copy, this is an intriguing discovery and an extremely crude depiction.

Wasn't the sketch made on site, possibly on brown paper?

I don't suppose....

The source is an online article, by Brent Raynes:

https://www.apmagazine.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1804&Itemid=194

It is naturally being further researched and any assistance, or thoughts on this, are most welcome.

Encounters-UFO-drawing.jpg

Reactions: BS3
That is precisely the situation.

All still under consideration... and a new development.

I have come across the following, only earlier today, which Chris Rutkowski confirms he has never seen before.

Although the background story to this particular drawing is presently unknown, apparently Michalak did sometimes receive requests for a sketch.

Dating from at least 1968, when Canadian 'anomalies' researcher and author, Brent Raynes, received a copy, this is an intriguing discovery and an extremely crude depiction.

Wasn't the sketch made on site, possibly on brown paper?

I don't suppose....

The source is an online article, by Brent Raynes:

https://www.apmagazine.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1804&Itemid=194

It is naturally being further researched and any assistance, or thoughts on this, are most welcome.

View attachment 60629

I had been following the postings on your Facebook group so will be interested to see what else emerges.

One thing I'd say is that the psychological report on Michalak excerpted there, while it indicates depression and some repressed aggression, otherwise describes him as well adjusted and critically does not identify any qualities of grandiosity, tendency to fantasise, etc - the kind of thing Desvergers was accused of, for example, and the kind of thing we might expect to see in a repeat witness. Indeed the psychologist says specifically that Michalak wasn't particularly worried by the experience and did not think he'd see the object again!

I'm not sure I buy the idea of it being a small hoax or prank that got out of hand, either. If Michalak made his initial report to an RCMP officer, he was making it 'official' from the start - it's not as if it was a story originally told to friends that then leaked out to the press (as seems to have occurred in a few cases over the years - indeed it's even been proposed as an explanation for the Father Gill sighting ).

While there are a few variations in his description of the UFO, they actually seem quite consistent overall compared to the average witness - bearing in mind that memories of even a quite mundane event can shift rapidly, let alone one which may - if 'real' - have been experienced under stressful circumstances.

Last edited:
This 2022 video about the Falcon Lake incident includes some points either not often or never mentioned elsewhere.

One of the most interesting points is that the object that landed, and Michalak approached, wasn't alone. He had observed two such objects overflying his location. One landed, and the other hovered at a short distance away. The narrative isn't clear concerning whether the second (hovering) object was still in place when the first (landed) one took off.

Another interesting point emphasized in this video is the claim Michalak consistently resisted characterizing the object he'd encountered as a spaceship or other extraterrestrial object.

A third point is the claim the messy sketch shown earlier was hurriedly sketched by Michalak at the scene during the encounter, prior to approaching the object.

Here's another - and more readable - sketch of the object that landed. Its origin and source are unclear. I'm not sure if this is another sketch done for the authorities or other contacts immediately following the incident (like the one above). For all I know it may be a third party illustration based on Michalak's own sketch done at the scene.
Michalak?-Sketch-A-V2.jpg
Edit to Add:
The version of this image available at the Mary Evans Picture Library cites the image's source as:
Canadian UFO Report volume 1 number 3 page 12
https://www.maryevans.com/search.php?prv=preview&job=5312771&itm=2&pic=10017808&row=1

This online article about the Falcon Lake incident annotates this image as:
Stephen Michalak's drawing of the object he encountered at Falcon Lake. ..
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1306311421257375744.html

Last edited:
Here's the Winnipeg Tribune article that was published 2 days after the incident (22 May).

WinnipegTribune-670522-B.jpg

Back