• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Religion Are Ghosts?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Basing this on a letter in FT 411, where the writer asked if all ghosts and spirits contacted by mediums should have the same religion, because on "the other side" there should be a consensus on what to believe spiritually. Have there been any ghosts who conveyed any helpful religious advice?

Many religions have ghosts. What is more surprising is the number of 'mediums' who claim to contact 'spirit guides' from a different religion.

Just to declare an interest, I think all mediums are charlatans. And any who claim to be Christian are in direct defiance to the Bible.

It is not certain where ghosts inhabit.

They may well be dead, but neither in heaven nor hell.

So they may well still hold the religious belief they had when alive.

Or they may be "recordings" of events that previously happened.

Spirits may well be in an area of the afterlife where cognisance of G-D is possible, but the spirits can be malevolent and so not have a recognised religion, but instead be malicious or evil.

This situation is the basis for many stories and legends of hauntings. An 'unquiet spirit' may be encountered by the living when it tries to call attention to the inappropriate disposal of its earthly remains, often after a murder.

It is not certain where ghosts inhabit.
... Or they may be disturbed to get to the other side only to find it was nothing like what their religion(s) had assured them it would be.

... Or they may be disturbed to get to the other side only to find it was nothing like what their religion(s) had assured them it would be.
Interesting point that. You snuff it and then find you don't like the after life much at all cos you have to put up with obnoxious relatives and can't take revenge on people you wanted to and it's just boring. What then? Born again?

What then? Born again?
Intriguing point and wondered what a Google search might further contribute to discussions...

Compress_20211009_101323_3618.jpg

Some days, you just wonder if you do actually live in a sort of parallel universe...

Interesting point that. You snuff it and then find you don't like the after life much at all cos you have to put up with obnoxious relatives and can't take revenge on people you wanted to and it's just boring. What then? Born again?

This is where pre-afterlife religious affiliation and afterlife bureaucracy could turn even a benign great beyond into a post-living hell ...

What if you were listed as a believer in a "one-and-done" life model (i.e., you live once and pass beyond for all eternity, a la Xtianity) and you wanted to reincarnate (start over; get a "do-over")?

Would you be prohibited from using a reincarnation option that wasn't part of your religion when you were alive?

Would you have to convert on the other side before being allowed to avail yourself of another religion's features?

This is where pre-afterlife religious affiliation and afterlife bureaucracy could turn even a benign great beyond into a post-living hell ...

What if you were listed as a believer in a "one-and-done" life model (i.e., you live once and pass beyond for all eternity, a la Xtianity) and you wanted to reincarnate (start over; get a "do-over")?

Would you be prohibited from using a reincarnation option that wasn't part of your religion when you were alive?

Would you have to convert on the other side before being allowed to avail yourself of another religion's features?
Maybe ghosts are all the people who dont believe in reincarnation, souls doomed to walk the earth because they cant be put in to a new shell.

Reminds me of this old sketch:

`Atheists - you must be feeling a proper bunch of nitwits.`

They probably behave like the living and have wars.
As my late Dad once remarked, when I was really young:

"There have been more people killed in the name of God, than anything else".

It's one of those things, which as a kid, sticks in your mind, because you don't understand what he means.

Guess I do now, lamentably.

Moving on to more engaging matters, what happens if we have two ghosts who intensely disliked each other in life.... say, they were in rival gangs.... and met up in the city, which their spirits couldn't leave.

Compress_20211009_170409_9398.jpg

"You're so dead"...

"Really, 'cause you're the one who's gonna die"....

And then they can't understand why no blows seem to be having any effect.

If there is any such YouTube channel, please let me know and I would gladly subscribe and invite a few mates round....

:beer::popc:

It's one of those things, which as a kid, sticks in your mind, because you don't understand what he means.

Moving on to more engaging matters, what happens if we have two ghosts who intensely disliked each other in life.... say, they were in rival gangs.... and met up in the city, which their spirits couldn't leave.

View attachment 46399

"You're so dead"...

If there is any such YouTube channel, please let me know and I would gladly subscribe and invite a few mates round....

Maybe ghosts can destroy each other

Maybe ghosts are all the people who dont believe in reincarnation, souls doomed to walk the earth because they cant be put in to a new shell.
Not sure which is the worst option - doomed to walk the earth or doomed to walk a tedious after life.
I suppose we do get reincarnated to some extent in the form of our DNA passed on through generations.

View attachment 46399

"You're so dead"...

I posted this yonks ago to the humour thread and it seems appropriate once more:

cartoon.JPG

I guess it's debatable whether gods or territory have been the main drivers for war over humankind's history.

Back