• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Were YOUR Erroneous Childhood Beliefs?

Anyone else have the one where you really believed, spending an afternoon at your granny's/auntie's, et c, that their TV set picked up completely different programes to the ones you got at home?
no but my parents wouldn't let us watch ITV when we were younger (something to do with the adverts I think) and so I always felt a naughty thrill when we were at someone's house and we could watch ITV there!

Another thing I still do to day is if I knock over the salt shaker and salt spills out, I throw salt over my left shoulder.

If I did not do this ritual, my mom would go “ ballistic “ saying evil spirits would enter the house.

When me and my Sister were very little, our Mum told us that if we dug a deep enough hole in the back garden, we'd get to Australia. She remembered it kept us busy all day.

We were not allowed to watch much TV as children as so much was unsuitable. Permitted viewing included Jack Harggraves and the world at war and Crossroads. This probably explains a lot about the culture shock of going to secondary school in a big city.

We were not allowed to watch much TV as children as so much was unsuitable. Permitted viewing included Jack Harggraves and the world at war and Crossroads. This probably explains a lot about the culture shock of going to secondary school in a big city.
My Mum wasn't keen on me watching Grange Hill but she didn't stop me and I wasn't that interested in watching it anyway. I remember if we were watching the telly as a family, the only time my Dad would get uncomfortable was when something sexy came on .. he's start shifting about in his armchair then change the channel. If I wanted to watch the cool stuff, my big Sister would let me into her bedroom so we could watch edgy stuff together like Hammer House Of Horror, Tales Of The Unexpected, Sapphire & Steel, Planet Of The Apes TV series and horror films. She's most of the reason I grew up to become a Fortean. She used to love scaring me. :cool:

My Mum wasn't keen on me watching Grange Hill but she didn't stop me and I wasn't that interested in watching it anyway. I remember if we were watching the telly as a family, the only time my Dad would get uncomfortable was when something sexy came on .. he's start shifting about in his armchair then change the channel. If I wanted to watch the cool stuff, my big Sister would let me into her bedroom so we could watch edgy stuff together like Hammer House Of Horror, Tales Of The Unexpected, Sapphire & Steel, Planet Of The Apes TV series and horror films. She's most of the reason I grew up to become a Fortean. She used to love scaring me. :cool:
Two TVs in the house!? Just how rich were you...?!

When me and my Sister were very little, our Mum told us that if we dug a deep enough hole in the back garden, we'd get to Australia. She remembered it kept us busy all day.

Our holes would always end in China, or so we were told. Never dug one deep enough, so I can't verify. However, this interactive map, tells me I'd have ended up somewhere in the Atlantic way off the coast of Morocco:

https://engaging-data.com/antipodes-map/

Continuing

I believed:

4. If you leave the slightest bit of detergeant film on washed dishes, glasses, cutlery and so on the very next person to use them will drop dead right at the table from "soap poisoning."

5. Prisons have little child-sized electric chairs for younger miscreants.

6. If you put one hand into very hot water and the other into ice water, at the same time, you will die.

7. Roman Catholic altar boys are a special race of midgets who live right in the church.

8. Babies are "delivered" in a panel truck.
Only two of these are true...

Back in the late 1960s and early 1970s it was a requirement for cars from the UK travelling to the 'continent' as we called it then to put yellow/orange film on their headlights I seem to recall. When I was 10 or 11 though for some weird reason I used to think that if you broke a headlight or replaced it it had to be yellow from then on.

i used to think the song Afternoon Delight by the Starland Vocal Band was about cake. All that stuff about working up an appetite combined with the most exciting afternoon activity I could think of, which was afternoon tea.…

Hopefully the link works
Afternoon delight
It is, innit?

I mean, what could be nicer than cake? :dunno:

My parents and myself moved to the house where I lived for the next 18 years when I was a little over a year old so I didn't remember living anywhere else. As I got a little older and became aware of things, I was of the firm belief that it had been our house forever and always would be, because. My 'rents tried to explain it to me that it had belonged to some people named Ocheltree before we moved in, but I did not buy that for a moment. Because it was our house, for one thing, and because I didn't credit the notion that anyone could possibly have a bizarre name like Ocheltree. I remember once that I was playing in the yard while my mother had coffee with a neighbor lady on the porch and she said something about the Ocheltrees who used to own our house. Bristling with a four-year-old's righteous indignation, I went up on the porch, put my hands on my hips and sternly told my mother "I don't know why you keep telling people that about those Ocheltrees, because everybody knows there's no such thing as 'em!" just like that.

It was years before I grasped the idea that houses or land were things that got bought and sold just like cars, books and candy.

i used to think the song Afternoon Delight by the Starland Vocal Band was about cake. All that stuff about working up an appetite combined with the most exciting afternoon activity I could think of, which was afternoon tea.…

Hopefully the link works
Afternoon delight

There was a scene in the comedy Arrested Development where Michael and his niece Maeby are singing karaoke of Afternoon Delight and gradually realising what the lyrics are. I seem to remember they call it off at the line "The thought of loving you is getting so exciting..."

I wasn’t allowed to watch Grange Hill as a child. “Bad Influence” apparently. My parents finally relented around the start of the Zammo years. I still remember the shock of Danny Kendal being found dead In that car. Probably, the first on-screen death I saw as most of the stuff we watched then was pretty tame like the A-Team, where they could shoot a helicopter out of the sky and all the passengers would climb out uninjured after the crash.

Back