• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

When Did It Begin?

Hey, thanks for the link. Damn! That was a good thread! Bit disappointed I didn't start it tho'...

Hello Bloop, and welcome.

Very interesting experience with your cuckoo clock there, and nice premise for a thread :)

Now in answer to your questions; I've never had any objects jump at me, and my first strange experience was probably the disappearing phone box... to save repeating myself here's the link in case you're interested http://forum.forteantimes.com/index...s-of-real-weirdness.4630/page-16#post-1754100. Not terribly exciting as far as some Fortean experiences go, but I like that it happened :)

I've never had an imaginary friend.

Hmm, now the floating downstairs thing - I used to be able to do something similar but I'm not sure it's exactly what others are describing - basically, I remember (not sure of age, but I certainly would have been no older than ten, and likely much younger than that) being able, when I went downstairs, to sort of.... jump... but in a floaty way... holding onto the bannister (I want to say with both hands, but I can't quite remember)... such that I was able to traverse several stairs at once without touching them.

But this wasn't like normal jumping, I hasten to add... it was... like I was weightless, in the sense that there was no heaviness to the movement. (Hopefully that makes some sense).

Thank you for the welcome, I am so enjoying being here :D

Thank you also for the link, I will get around to haviing a read of that later when I have more time free.

I also knew that other people couldn't see what I could and, even being very young, knowing that I wouldn't be able to see these things, whatever they were 'when I grew up'. There are two occasions I do remember though, one when the big old fashioned valve radio we had switched itself on, lit up and dialled through the frequencies. Another was when some big copper and glass contraption appeared on the kitchen counter and started bubbling, then levitated and disappeared. Wasn't a dream, I remember trying to pretend I couldn't see it, but at the same time looking at it out of the corner of my eye. The memory faded a bit as I looked but not totally, hence I can still remember it........
More details of these events, please - it's interesting.

More details of these events, please - it's interesting.

Seconded.

Okay - there are two distinct memory types here. One is that I remember things which shouldn't be happening, trying to be nonchalant about looking, whilst trying to note it for later and desperately trying to remember the event, but the memory slipping away. I obviously can’t remember those, just the feeling of seeing something and the memory slipping away.

The other type is knowing that adults couldn’t see the world as I saw it. I remember being aware of (seeing!) things which I thought of as particles which everything, particularly noticeably the air, was made of, which connected and influenced everything. If I swept my hand through the air, I could feel them and also watch the kind of ripple I made, build up and outwards and bounce off objects at a distance.

I can remember being able to see far away and near at the same time. I also remember that I was aware of beings which adults couldn’t see. Don’t laugh, but some of these I saw at the bottom of the garden. I became aware that adults thought of them as ‘imaginary’ and called them ‘fairies’. I saw them before I was told this though. There were other beings as well. Some lived in the sky and I can remember on days when there were no clouds, laying on a blanket in the garden staring into the sky looking out for them and being really excited when I saw them swimming through the sky.

I remember learning not to mention these things because they were ‘imaginary’. Perhaps they were, I just remember thinking that anything I could see which an adult couldn’t was ‘imaginary’.

One thing I do remember doing, from being really young, was trying to imagine the extent of space and scaring myself ++++less when I realised how small and insignificant I was! This was probably normal, but I think I may have been a weird kid.

As an aside, Ermintruder has been posting about the effect anaesthesia has on cognitive function. I had quite a few general anaesthetics between the ages of 4 and 9 years old and I can remember being really sad and disappointed that after each one, I couldn’t think as clearly or hold as long a train of thought as I could beforehand, colours also looked faded and I couldn't 'see' as much at once as before.

The other type is knowing that adults couldn’t see the world as I saw it. I remember being aware of (seeing!) things which I thought of as particles which everything, particularly noticeably the air, was made of, which connected and influenced everything. If I swept my hand through the air, I could feel them and also watch the kind of ripple I made, build up and outwards and bounce off objects at a distance.

Melon 24 that just reminded me that when I was quite young I used to see something very similar too. When I tried to describe it to my mother she said that I was just imagining it.
As she used to become horrified at various things that I tried to tell her I learned to keep them to myself.

Okay - there are two distinct memory types here. One is that I remember things which shouldn't be happening, trying to be nonchalant about looking, whilst trying to note it for later and desperately trying to remember the event, but the memory slipping away. I obviously can’t remember those, just the feeling of seeing something and the memory slipping away.

I can remember being able to see far away and near at the same time. I also remember that I was aware of beings which adults couldn’t see. Don’t laugh, but some of these I saw at the bottom of the garden. I became aware that adults thought of them as ‘imaginary’ and called them ‘fairies’. I saw them before I was told this though. There were other beings as well. Some lived in the sky and I can remember on days when there were no clouds, laying on a blanket in the garden staring into the sky looking out for them and being really excited when I saw them swimming through the sky.

I remember learning not to mention these things because they were ‘imaginary’. Perhaps they were, I just remember thinking that anything I could see which an adult couldn’t was ‘imaginary’.

One thing I do remember doing, from being really young, was trying to imagine the extent of space and scaring myself ++++less when I realised how small and insignificant I was! This was probably normal, but I think I may have been a weird kid.

As an aside, Ermintruder has been posting about the effect anaesthesia has on cognitive function. I had quite a few general anaesthetics between the ages of 4 and 9 years old and I can remember being really sad and disappointed that after each one, I couldn’t think as clearly or hold as long a train of thought as I could beforehand, colours also looked faded and I couldn't 'see' as much at once as before.

The concept of "Fairies at the bottom of the garden" had to start somewhere, maybe your early experiences were more common than you, or any of us, realise? The Cottingley Fairies girls claimed they were merely reproducing what they had seen in real life in their famous photographs. Is it something to do with the proximity of nature to the domestic?

Doesn't explain things, but maybe it's connected to early impossible experiences like floating downstairs or imaginary friends children can see (we have threads on them, I know).

Oh, and I can still freak myself out thinking about how insignificant I am in the universe!

Actually I just remembered an even earlier incident which may well be my first Fortean experience. I was no more than 2/3 when I walked into the living room and distinctly heard my name said out loud. There was nobody else in the room and it was not a voice I recognised. I believe this one is fairly common.

I suppose one of the, if not the, earliest Fortean experience I had was the recurrent tactile hallucination of 'stuff', as I described in a 2012 post:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/scary-hallucinations.50554/post-1271092

... quoted below.

My best guess is that my experience with 'stuff' began around age 3 or 4 ...

... When I was a young child high fevers would afford me the ability to reach out and feel an invisible substance in the air above my bed. It was cool, soft and smooth upon my palms - most akin to the sensation you get when holding your open hand out a moving car's window. It had no visible features, smell, etc., - it could only be felt. I simply called it 'stuff'.

I could reach up into the air above my head and touch a 'cloud' (as I conceptualized it) of this 'stuff'. Over time I got in the habit of grabbing a handful of it, pulling it away from the main 'cloud', and then manipulating it. I'd rub it into a ball, place it in different locations about me, pull it apart bit by bit, etc. When I'd played a bit of 'stuff' into dissipation I'd reach up, pick off another chunk, and repeat ...

I'd spend long stretches of time lying in my bed playing with 'stuff' - sometimes to the extent of picking apart and exhausting the original 'cloud'. It got to be a regular plaything associated with serious illness / fever. My mother would inquire about what I was doing with my hands, and I'd tell her I was playing with 'stuff'. Her reactions to such disclosures led me to quit mentioning it as a matter of discretion.

If I recall correctly, my capacity for apprehending and interacting with 'stuff' ended at the time of my appendicitis (age 16). The circa 10 days I was then bed-ridden was the last time I recall encountering 'stuff'.

Last edited:
Never had anything paranormal ever happen to me....but there was one time in college when sleeping at night I thought I heard my roommate call to me telepathically...but I ignored it. The next morning he asked me why I didn't wake him up since he was having a bad dream. I said I thought I was dreaming. No way to know what really happened...could be he actually shouted out loud.

When I was younger (4 onwards)I thought paranormal stuff was happening to me all the time at night, but it turns out it was sleep paralysis! I found out it wasn’t ghosts haunting me but my own brain thanks to Fortean times. I saw the mag on the shelf with an article on night hags, bought n read it and my life changed. Interestingly, once I knew it wasn’t ghosts, demons etc my sleep Paralysis changed to be more about real life worries.(police, school teacher etc)
As for stuff popping off the wall, once I sneezed and a shelf fell off the wall (impressed everyone present) and, after my best friends funeral, a picture fell off the wall as I took a moment to re read his order of service. I’ve told that story before on another thread.

When I was younger (4 onwards)I thought paranormal stuff was happening to me all the time at night, but it turns out it was sleep paralysis! I found out it wasn’t ghosts haunting me but my own brain thanks to Fortean times. I saw the mag on the shelf with an article on night hags, bought n read it and my life changed. Interestingly, once I knew it wasn’t ghosts, demons etc my sleep Paralysis changed to be more about real life worries.(police, school teacher etc)
As for stuff popping off the wall, once I sneezed and a shelf fell off the wall (impressed everyone present) and, after my best friends funeral, a picture fell off the wall as I took a moment to re read his order of service. I’ve told that story before on another thread.
I had the same childhood night hag experiences as you and have settled on the same 'now I'm an adult' conclusion as you but sometimes I can't help wondering seeing as an old woman had previously died in my bedroom ..

Maybe we're less closed minded as children so also less cynical and so more open to these experiences ? .. so our experiences could have been genuine paranormal events ? .. I find it more comforting to think they weren't.

I may have posted earlier on another thread, but when my middle daughter was younger her nose started to bleed and a plate from Alaska fell off the wall and broke.
My husband's sister and her husband lived in Alaska and we found out later that they had just become divorced, due to stress of losing their daughter.

Interesting point swiftly. I don’t think the two things are mutually exclusive. I’m certainly not saying all paranormal experiences are down to sleep paralysis, you may have indeed been visited by a ghost.
In my case it helped 14 year old me rationalise what had been happening to me at night for a decade, and in some sense control it.

As an aside, will high-tension electricity cables flail around when severed like wounded serpents (as they did in the crappy disaster movie Titanic 2 I watched recently) or is that complete BS?

Back in the 1990s I was working as a software developper on a small factory, out of Rio de Janeiro. Somebody had the brilliant idea of pass the network cables by air, through small poles, to connect the different buildings. Once we had a tropical storm (or was it an epic storm...?) and we had to rush to disconnect the cables from the computers. Soon after we have done the major part of this job, a lightning found the cables outside : we witnessed the network cables become alive, inside the building, like they were vicious electric snakes. Fortunately, it didn't touched anybody, but the computers that were still connected grilled instantly, to the last component...

So, answering @bloop (welcome, by the way, you certainly had a great first entry!), in two times...

I use to think that my first brush with first-hand Forteana date from when I was about 4 years old. My parents were spiritualist and mediums. Not that ever tried to have a living out of this, quite the contrary, none of them had a single dime from their gifts. So, it must be said that, at least on my experience, mediums tend to be specialized. There was once a good TV series, The Others, that portrayed this peculiarity quite well. My father was automatic writing medium (very rarely he could incorporate, too); my mother was a healing medium. And, just like what se can see on the TV series, once a week there was a reunion with some other mediums at our home, each one with their speciality. The difference was that it happened in the morning, between breakfast and lunch (so, only a sunny house, without shadowy corners and lightnings and the Hollywood paraphernalia...). I really appreciated to see the house full of people, some very interesting, some quite charming. It was because I commented with my parents about the nice lady that made me company or the bearded gentleman with the captivating smile, and, of course, because their alarmed reaction, that I understood that I couldn't quite differentiante the living and the dead during the reunions. Soon after my parents realized this, the reunions started to become more... sparse, until they ceased some time ago. I kept seeing "people" in the house for a while, dressed in white, irradiating a feeling of protection and peace, but the damage had been done, and now I feared them. Two or three years later, I could see nothing of sorts anymore.

It doesn't mean that nothing, well, out of the ordianary happened to me in my teens, for instance, but the question was quite clear... ;)

Concerning devices like clocks and mobile phones, yes, there were some weird experiences. I remember once, in my 40s, I was wearing a wristwatch. I remember it was a period of intense emotional stress. One day, the watch had stopped, what, in itself, was unexpected, since it had been wired not long before. I didn't even cared to remove it, it remained frozen in time around 10:00am. I was waiting for a phone call, very intensely. By the end of the afternoon, the phone finally rang and the answer filled me with a feeling of intense release. Then I looked at the wristwatch. It was working. And it marked 05:00pm. There was no way I could have adjusted the time and it was not an electronic device. I had some strange behaviours from mobile phones too : turn off with no reason and a battery full, and then turning on withour even being touched. I rememeber that at least once, again on an extremely stressful moment, the motherboard of the computer I was working simply "died", without explanation or possible repair.

And, finally, concerning the effect of certain medications on the "paranormal": I only had general anaesthesics once, and, apart from this creepy sleep without dreams effect, nothing unusual happend. But since my 6 or 7 I have athsma. I took different kind of medications since then (I'm almost 57 now) and I understood at some point that they could cause sleep disturbances, like getting up from your bed and arriving in the bathroom door only to turn around and see yourself still in bed (and being suddenly pulled back to your "body"). Sometimes it happened many times in a row, until I learned to move each finger a time and "regain" control of my body. When I was not under medication (basicaly cortizone and anphetamine beta-oriented) it never happened.

There is, of course, more, but I must go back to work now... ;)

Back in the 1990s I was working as a software developper on a small factory, out of Rio de Janeiro. Somebody had the brilliant idea of pass the network cables by air, through small poles, to connect the different buildings. Once we had a tropical storm (or was it an epic storm...?) and we had to rush to disconnect the cables from the computers. Soon after we have done the major part of this job, a lightning found the cables outside : we witnessed the network cables become alive, inside the building, like they were vicious electric snakes. Fortunately, it didn't touched anybody, but the computers that were still connected grilled instantly, to the last component...

Great story! Flesh it out, it deserves to be told in detail.

Great story! Flesh it out, it deserves to be told in detail.

Oh, there is not much to tell about the grilled computers and the snaky cables. But I remember that, being a huge fan of violent storms, I ran out of the build to see that beautiful storm, the skies alive with low clouds the color of lead, the rubling thunders and the sound of the lightnings. Only to discover that I co-worker, a buddy of mine since the university days, had done the same. I guess nobody noticed the two 30-something men, jumping like kids at each rolling thunder, enjoying the show Nature was giving to us for free... :)

So, answering @bloop (welcome, by the way, you certainly had a great first entry!), in two times...

I use to think that my first brush with first-hand Forteana date from when I was about 4 years old. My parents were spiritualist and mediums. Not that ever tried to have a living out of this, quite the contrary, none of them had a single dime from their gifts. So, it must be said that, at least on my experience, mediums tend to be specialized. There was once a good TV series, The Others, that portrayed this peculiarity quite well. My father was automatic writing medium (very rarely he could incorporate, too); my mother was a healing medium. And, just like what se can see on the TV series, once a week there was a reunion with some other mediums at our home, each one with their speciality. The difference was that it happened in the morning, between breakfast and lunch (so, only a sunny house, without shadowy corners and lightnings and the Hollywood paraphernalia...). I really appreciated to see the house full of people, some very interesting, some quite charming. It was because I commented with my parents about the nice lady that made me company or the bearded gentleman with the captivating smile, and, of course, because their alarmed reaction, that I understood that I couldn't quite differentiante the living and the dead during the reunions. Soon after my parents realized this, the reunions started to become more... sparse, until they ceased some time ago. I kept seeing "people" in the house for a while, dressed in white, irradiating a feeling of protection and peace, but the damage had been done, and now I feared them. Two or three years later, I could see nothing of sorts anymore.

It doesn't mean that nothing, well, out of the ordianary happened to me in my teens, for instance, but the question was quite clear... ;)

Concerning devices like clocks and mobile phones, yes, there were some weird experiences. I remember once, in my 40s, I was wearing a wristwatch. I remember it was a period of intense emotional stress. One day, the watch had stopped, what, in itself, was unexpected, since it had been wired not long before. I didn't even cared to remove it, it remained frozen in time around 10:00am. I was waiting for a phone call, very intensely. By the end of the afternoon, the phone finally rang and the answer filled me with a feeling of intense release. Then I looked at the wristwatch. It was working. And it marked 05:00pm. There was no way I could have adjusted the time and it was not an electronic device. I had some strange behaviours from mobile phones too : turn off with no reason and a battery full, and then turning on withour even being touched. I rememeber that at least once, again on an extremely stressful moment, the motherboard of the computer I was working simply "died", without explanation or possible repair.

And, finally, concerning the effect of certain medications on the "paranormal": I only had general anaesthesics once, and, apart from this creepy sleep without dreams effect, nothing unusual happend. But since my 6 or 7 I have athsma. I took different kind of medications since then (I'm almost 57 now) and I understood at some point that they could cause sleep disturbances, like getting up from your bed and arriving in the bathroom door only to turn around and see yourself still in bed (and being suddenly pulled back to your "body"). Sometimes it happened many times in a row, until I learned to move each finger a time and "regain" control of my body. When I was not under medication (basicaly cortizone and anphetamine beta-oriented) it never happened.

There is, of course, more, but I must go back to work now... ;)

Thank you for the welcome and the recounts of your experiences. I look forwards to hearing more of your accounts :)

Reading about the feelings of particles in the air and what-not has prompted me to write about a curious feeling I've had from time to time throughout my life. Well, at least I shall try to explain it, because it's one of those odd things that as soon as you try to put it into words, it sort of slips away.

Well, this feeling has happened only when I've been quite ill, although not every time I've been ill. And it's like a sort of... thickness, to the air... but yet, that word doesn't quite explain it properly. It's not something I can touch, and certainly not anything that I can see; it's just a feeling.

The last time I had this feeling was probably a few months ago; if I was having this feeling now I'd be able to explain it better. All I know is, when I have this feeling, I instantly recognise it as something I've felt before, a horrid feeling that I really don't like. Yet, once it passes (and I can't say what starts it or what ends it) I can no longer properly define it.

And it's not a nice feeling; it unnerves me and I hate the feeling of it every time it happens.

Does... anyone recognise the thing I'm describing?

Reading about the feelings of particles in the air and what-not has prompted me to write about a curious feeling I've had from time to time throughout my life. Well, at least I shall try to explain it, because it's one of those odd things that as soon as you try to put it into words, it sort of slips away.

Well, this feeling has happened only when I've been quite ill, although not every time I've been ill. And it's like a sort of... thickness, to the air... but yet, that word doesn't quite explain it properly. It's not something I can touch, and certainly not anything that I can see; it's just a feeling.

The last time I had this feeling was probably a few months ago; if I was having this feeling now I'd be able to explain it better. All I know is, when I have this feeling, I instantly recognise it as something I've felt before, a horrid feeling that I really don't like. Yet, once it passes (and I can't say what starts it or what ends it) I can no longer properly define it.

And it's not a nice feeling; it unnerves me and I hate the feeling of it every time it happens.

Does... anyone recognise the thing I'm describing?

We had a thread about things like this. People have these strange feelings when they're ill, as you do.

Sometimes I come over all electrical and people get a shock if they touch me.

This first occurred when I was in my late twenties though. So not a historical talent!

First unexplainable experience...my earliest memories, when I was still sleeping in a cot, a sense of pure evil approaching my bedroom window, a fairly detailed set of dreams which contained emotional and practical elements that a baby ought not to know.
And at 12 I woke in the night to see a grey haired older lady stood beside my cabin bed staring out of my window at the moon. I thought it was my late grandmother at the time, and am ashamed to admit that I yelled for my mum to come and stop it!
Looking back, it could have been a dream related incident but it sure didn’t feel like one.

I haven’t seen many ‘ghosts’ in my time, just one or two possible ‘remnants’.
The majority of my unusual experiences have been dream or intuition related, apart from a very unpleasant encounter with something unseen in a house I rented in 2013. I intend to make a post about that at some point.

Back