• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

When Earth-Lights Attack...

Alexius4

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
The following is taken from the Baron Marbot's Napoleonic memoir; it occured during the retreat from Moscow:

The 23rd Chasseurs, posted at Zapole, was covering one flank of the united corps, when Marshal Victor, hearing that a large force of the enemy was at Vonisokoi-Ghorodie, ordered General Castex to reconnoitre this point with one of his regiments. It was the turn for mine to march. We started at nightfall, and reached Ghorodie without hindrance. The village stood in a bottom, on a large drained marsh. Everything was quiet, and the peasants whom I questioned through Lorenz had not seen a Russian soldier for a month. I therefore prepared to go back to Zapole; but our return was not as calm as our outward march had been. There was no fog, but the night was very dark, and I was afraid of the regiment going astray among the numerous dykes in the marsh. I therefore took for guide one of the inhabitants of Ghorodie, who appeared less stupid than the others. My column had proceeded in good order for half an hour, when I suddenly perceived bivouac fires upon the hills surrounding the marsh. I halted my men, and sent out two intelligent sergeants to reconnoitre, bidding them try to avoid being seen. They soon came back, saying that a strong body was blocking our way, while another was in position in our rear. I turned round, and when I saw thousands of fires between me and Ghorodie it seemed clear that I had inadvertently got into the middle of an army corps, which was preparing to bivouac on the spot. The fires kept increasing in number; the plain and the hills were soon covered with them, and presented the appearance of a camp of 50,000 men, in the midst of which was I with less than 700 troopers. The odds were great, but how were we to avoid the danger which threatened? The only way was to gallop forward in silence along the main dyke upon which we were, to surprise the enemy by a sudden charge, and cut our way through, sword in hand. Once out of the light of the camp-fires, the darkness would save us from pursuit. Having decided on this course, I sent officers all along the column to let the troops know, being certain that all would approve my plan and follow me resolutely. I must admit that I was not without anxiety, for the enemy's infantry might stand to their arms at the first challenge of a sentry, and kill many of my people while my regiment was passing in front of it. In the middle of my anxiety, the peasant who was guiding us burst into shouts of laughter, and Lorenz did the same. In vain did I question the latter, he could not stop laughing; and not knowing enough French to explain the unusual circumstances he showed me his cloak, on which had just settled one of the will-o'-the-wisps which we had taken for bivouac fires. The phenomenon was produced by the marsh emanations, which a slight frost following on a day of hot autumn sunshine had condensed. In a little time the whole regiment was covered with these fires, as large as eggs, at which the soldiers were much diverted. Thus relieved from one of the greatest frights that I had ever had I returned to Zapole.

The Memoirs of Baron de Marbot - vol. 2, chapter xxix

Whatever happened out there in 1812, it was pretty spectacular; it is also intriguing to note that the chasseurs were able to actually interact with the lights without harm. Marbot does not suggest the cloak was burnt when the light touched it.

Incidentally, Marbot took pains to avoid sensationalising his account of his experiences during the wars; it would seem unlikely he made the story up given his overall objectivity.

If it was actual earth lights rather than methane will-o-the-wisps, there's considered to be quite powerful EM fields associated with them, which may be able to play havoc with your nervous system - it could account for strange feelings and odd perceptions of the already unfamiliar phenomena.

Back