Where Are The Wild Hamsters?

RainyOcean

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
2 years is what I've always heard. it's also about how long my old hamster lived.

kirmildew

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Re: Hamster Life Expectancy?

OldTimeRadio said:
McAvennie_ said:
I've had a pet hamster since about 1987, obviously not the same one, been through about 12 of them!

Am I correct that the life expectancy of a hamster is about two years?
The longest- lived hamster I have had was my first; he lived to be four and a bit. Maybe it was something in the air in my squalid childhood bedroom/junkyard- I also had a mouse called Beast who lived to be nearly four and they are only supposed to last a year or thereabouts! He ran free on a big shelf in my room and just went on forever; by the end of his life his hair was all patchy and he was all wrinkled like a little Yoda mouse. :_old:

OldTimeRadio

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Since hamsters have such short life-spans are they used at all in longevity and life-extension research?

i suppose they can reproduce in about six months time or even less? This would produce at least 20 generations per decade.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
There are so few in the wild because the Fortean Golf Society uses them as living tees.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Gary Player bred a strain which was part sealion. They instinctively balanced the ball on their noses.

The ones that survived each drive also clapped afterwards, which was a great help to less confident players.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
In related news:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p ... 283299.stm

Pet hamsters banned in Vietnam
By Andre Vornic
BBC News

Vietnam has banned the sale and possession of hamsters, whose popularity has been soaring.

The Ministry of Agriculture says anyone caught with a hamster will be fined up to 30m dong ($1,900) - almost double the average annual wage in Vietnam.

The authorities say the creatures are a potential source of disease.

Officials have also expressed concern that the animals are imported from China and Thailand without proper licensing or controls.

In a tropical Asian country like Vietnam, hamsters are not a traditional pet of choice.

That role has normally been held by various types of fish.

But a combination of factors including growing incomes and the Chinese Year of the Rat have made the beady-eyed rodents highly desirable.

They have been trading for $10 to $20 each and are reported to be a hit with the young population of Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, spawning a whole sub-culture of hamster forums and hamster clubs.

But the authorities are concerned.

Traded illegally over the Chinese or Thai borders, the hamsters are unlicensed and unchecked.

The Ministry of Agriculture has highlighted the risk of disease.

The animals are just one of many imports that escape adequate scrutiny or epidemiological control in Vietnam.

A recent survey alarmingly showed that most anti-malaria drugs - in Vietnam and other countries of the region - were fakes traced back to China.

And reports abound of other counterfeit or dangerous items sold for human consumption - including rather startling internet rumours of a trade in fake chicken's eggs.

That last paragraph makes me have a vision of someone cracking open an egg for breakfast to find a hamster inside. How do you fake a chicken egg?

Anyway, if there's a place where hamsters might soon be running wild, it'll be Vietnam apparently. I always found them to be very clean little creatures, though.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Maybe they're all recaptured and sent into space.

A major German university must halt experiments on hamsters due to be conducted as part of a European space project over welfare concerns.

A district court in Giessen in the state of Hesse said Marburg University must address "unanswered questions about the ethics of the animal tests" it was planning to run on 36 dwarf hamsters, the Hessischer Rundfunk public broadcaster reports.

The tests, part of a larger European Space Agency project, were to investigate what causes the "sleep-like state" of torpor in winter white dwarf hamsters - a "naturally occurring energy-saving mode that allows the animals to survive cold spells and lack of food," German radio elaborates.

The aim was to investigate whether the phenomenon could also be used in space travel.But, once the tests were over, all the hamsters would have been killed.

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-48747585

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Reaction score
Without reading all the posts here: I thought hamsters are native to the Syrian desert? Not sure where I got that idea from, though.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Without reading all the posts here: I thought hamsters are native to the Syrian desert? Not sure where I got that idea from, though.

I watched Fred Dinenage on children's prog 'How' years back explain that a Zoologist had read in old Arabic texts of a rodent (alhamastir) living in the Syrian desert but no-one knew exactly what was being described. He went out searching near Aleppo in 1930, lifted a stone slab and found a female golden hamster with a litter of pups. They were the only hamsters he found and possibly were the last ones there. According to Wiki, recent mitochondrial DNA studies have established that all domestic golden hamsters are descended from one female – presumably the one he captured in 1930.