• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Where The Hell Are The Flying Cars? It's The 21st Century!

Do flying motorbikes count?
I was reading this earlier - looks fun. And well thought out.
There would be nothing stopping them putting an enclosing body around the seat etc and I would consider that would then qualify as a 'flying car'.

Seeing as it has no wheels, I don't see how it qualifies.

Seeing as it has no wheels, I don't see how it qualifies.
Fair point.
It has a 'scalable technology' to it though with an AI controlling the flight characteristics from the pilot/driver input, which would make it more user-friendly than the 'roadable airplanes' of other devices previously mentioned which all require a separate pilots licence.
So the basic flight structure could be added to with a more car-like body including wheels etc to propel it along the ground, not that that would be really necessary other than for short distances.

Nope.

Needs decent leathers...not a grey combination suit.

And no way are you going to be able to enter that in the TT; its got no wheels.

Does this count as a failed attempt? :p

The Mrs told me this morning that Telsa's have a video camera on each corner now because people have been 'key'ing them' ? .. (deliberately scratching the paint work for anyone who hasn't heard of this old school term before) .. I don't know if this is true or not ..

Does this count as a failed attempt?
The chap quoted in the report as saying "....beyond unsafe..."
Well that's the master of stating the bleeding obvious isn't it?

I'm not sure why the report showed the filmed accident, from both angles, several times?
Is that common in Aus news reports?

I might have already posted this but anyway, a short skit about the flying car directed by Kevin Smith ..

Another crazy flying car design!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-63325341

The flying car that could turn into a biplane

At a launch event at Draper University in San Mateo, California, a start-up revealed how its flying car hopes to take off.

Alef bills its still-in-development electric vehicle, the Model A, as the first true flying car - a vehicle that it hopes will look like a sleek electric car but be capable of vertical take-off, and able to fly for 110km (68 miles).

The firm hopes to compete in a market occupied by well-advanced rivals, such as AirCar and the Pal-V gyrocopter that are already flying and driving.

But Jim Dukhovny, Alef's chief executive and co-founder, argues most existing vehicles are not strictly flying cars in his opinion.

"A flying car has to be a car, which means it can drive on a regular street, park in a regular parking space. And it also should have vertical take-off," he told the BBC.

"If you require an airport to take-off, what problem are you solving? And why is this a flying car?"

Edit: Hmmm. They made the original video private for some reason, so I've put an alternative up above.

Last edited:
Okay so it fulfils the 'flying car' brief, but it looks terrible.
Flimsy, underpowered, too small a passenger space to be of any proper use.
Where are you going to put your shopping, or suitcases, or golf clubs????
All they've done here is take existing 'drone' technology (cheap crappy plastic blades on a frame with a battery) and put a sort-of-car-shaped body around it. And then expect you to shell out a huge amount of money for it.
Yet another vanity project with a miniscule customer base of idiots with very deep pockets.
I'M OUT!!!

What we need is (eg) Vauxhall to start building a flying Corsa, in huge numbers, at a price comparable to that of a 'regular' Corsa.

Okay so it fulfils the 'flying car' brief, but it looks terrible.
Flimsy, underpowered, too small a passenger space to be of any proper use.
Where are you going to put your shopping, or suitcases, or golf clubs????
All they've done here is take existing 'drone' technology (cheap crappy plastic blades on a frame with a battery) and put a sort-of-car-shaped body around it. And then expect you to shell out a huge amount of money for it.
Yet another vanity project with a miniscule customer base of idiots with very deep pockets.
I'M OUT!!!

What we need is (eg) Vauxhall to start building a flying Corsa, in huge numbers, at a price comparable to that of a 'regular' Corsa.
I think what they are really after is lots of investment. So they can get fat director salaries.

I think we just need to kick start this with a disruptor...
Furze. Colin Furze.
Looks a bit unsteady. And dangerous.
The sort of thing you could quite easily get seriously injured by.

Furze clearly has absolutely no sense of danger.
And absolutely no attempt to have any sort of protective gear - no helmet - no gloves.....
And was he doing that in 'flat' trainers with no heel or toecaps?

And absolutely no attempt to have any sort of protective gear - no helmet - no gloves.....
He frequently injures himself, but never talks about it.

And I'm not sure why he decided to go for the added weight of having two engines instead of one with a shaft or chain/belt to join the rotors.

What do you mean, you girl - he’s tucked his tie into his shirt!

maximus otter

Chinese company XPeng recently provided an update on their flying car project, including video of a full-scale prototype making a test flight.
XPeng-flying-car.jpg
Check out video footage of XPeng AeroHT’s flying car completing its maiden flight

Following XPeng’s recent 1024 Tech Day event in China earlier this week, we have finally been able to share video footage of its latest generation of eVTOL built by AeroHT. As promised during the presentation, XPeng’s flying car prototype completed its maiden flight and has the receipts to prove it. You’ve gotta see this.

... For a second year in a row, XPeng’s urban air mobility (UAM) division AeroHT stole the show with its flying car prototype.

The unique eVTOL that can drive on roads and navigate through air was first unveiled at XPeng’s 1024 Tech Day in 2021, which included some sleek renderings and an animated video. This year’s presentation included news that the XPeng AeroHT team had upgraded the design of the sixth-generation eVTOL from a horizontal dual-rotor structure, to a new distributed multi-rotor configuration.

The company also shared that the overall system design complexity of the eVTOL had been reduced to ensure better safety and reliability during flights. Better yet, a prototype had been built and had completed its maiden flight. Naturally, we were eager to see this footage, but it was shared during the end of the Tech Day Presentation in China, and we had to wait for the entire video to be translated to English and posted. ...
FULL STORY: https://electrek.co/2022/10/26/chec...ohts-flying-car-completing-its-maiden-flight/

VIDEO:
The flying car presentation (including video of a full-scale mockup test flight) begins around 1:05:50

A new one from China:

Battery powered. Imagine a battery explosion mid-flight... it would rain down incendiary material all over the people below.

Back