• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Which Issue Of Fortean Times Had The Best Cover?

47Forteans

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I think issue 177 (special 30th anniverssary issue, 2003) with the serpent rising out of the water, making the "30" image in the water, issue 185, the July 2004 "D For Deception" and the May 2006 issue (FT 209) with the Cybermen were the best covers of FT.

I like issue 212, which was the Da Vinci Code issue with a fantastically manipulated pic of the Mona Lisa.

Ok I admit the article was mine but the pic had nothing to do with - I have a clean copy of it ie no text hanging in my living room courtesy of the artist.

Gordon

It certainly wasn't the one with the naked purple lady!

gncxx said:

Ah, yes, the Australian issue! As an Australian, it is always good to see Australia get a mention in FT!

47Forteans said:
gncxx said:

Ah, yes, the Australian issue! As an Australian, it is always good to see Australia get a mention in FT!

Yeah, the article was fine, just a pity about the cover.

What was the mind control cover? That was really dramatic, I liked that one.

I didn't think much of the cover for 246, but I did like the psyhcedelic music cover...

Remember the one with the huge, purple flying saucers over (I think) Mexico City? OK, it was obviously inpsired by Independence Day, but no matter what you think of that film the arrival of the saucers in it was pretty awe-inspiring and that cover captured that nicely. Without all the resulting destruction as well.

I think that issue came out before I started reading FT, but I've seen it and it is a good cover. I also liked the cover for issue 200...

I liked the Star Trek issue, since I am a Trek fan.

The answer, of course, is always the next issue. Look out for FT248, Etienne has just finished spraying his magic pixie dust all over my cover illustration and its officially Bitchin!

BTW does anyone think it would be worth me putting some of my illustrations up onto various online on demand printer websites, would there be any demand for poster size versions of my FT stuff?

I already have some personal work up on 3 different sites to test how the on demand process works - so far it's a bit dissapointing (ie only sold one print :) and they take a big percentage (over half the final cost of the prints). I used to get a lot of emails asking for prints and now the technology is in place I thought I'd ask around and see if people are still interested.

Of the 3 the US site is probably the cheapest http://alextomlinson.imagekind.com/ but not much use for Europeans as postage must be a nightmare, the UK/EU site is good but takes itself too seriously and probably won't want FT type stuff uploaded http://en.easyart.com/art-prints/artist ... 13986.html also have the same 3 prints upoaded to Australian site redbubble, http://www.redbubble.com/people/alextomlinson they seem to take anything so should have no problems upoading them there.

Also feel free to stop by the new blog http://alextheillustrator.blogspot.com/ it gets updated a lot more frequently than my website (which is a pain to update). Mostly it's just me moaning about work and I have almost reached the point where I dissapear up my own arse so fresh input would be welcome.

Is it just me, or is the wait between the time you have finished the current issue and the next issue seem far too long?

Chupacabras!

Ooh ooh! My favourite cover was the one with chupacabras attacking a goat. I got my Dad to scan that in at work and then blow it up and print it out so I could have it as a poster on my bedroom wall! I did modify it though, by drawing on a lot of blood and changing the eyes of the chpacabras to a feline pupil. I don't know why, I was quite young at the time. I have to add though that the covers of Fortean Times are almost always of such a high standard. Congratulations and thanks to all involved.

I quite like the cover for the current issue (251). Reminds me of some of the men I've dated!

Issue 63 of course!

It's the one with the picture of T Lobsang Rampa on it

(that's him on the left!).

Ah, the Plumber from Lhasa :D.

I'm with Gordon on 212, the Mona Lisa one. As for second, for me it's a tie between 73, with the shark-through-the-roof sculpture (purely personal as we used to live around the corner from it in Headington, Oxford) and 74 (Three-Ball Charlie.. steady now.. piccie here, as also featured on the cover of the Stones' "Exile On Main Street".)

Of course, the best cover is the one that has just arrived in your letter box![/i]

Alex's Leonardo covers

Should perhaps point out that it was 193 which had the Mona Lisa cover, and 212 which had The Last Supper.

Re: Alex's Leonardo covers

owenwhiteoak said:
Should perhaps point out that it was 193 which had the Mona Lisa cover, and 212 which had The Last Supper.

Well done Owen, I was wondering who would be first to spot my deliberate mistake!

:oops:

Gordon

Yeah, I knew that too.

Oh, be fair - I've 200 back issues piled up in the loft, and if Gordon says it was issue #whatever that's good enough for me.

My top ones - because we're allowed more than one, aren't we?? - are the melty "Free Your Mind - Writers, Drugs, and Rock & Roll" one (180), even though the features weren't my cup of 'herbal' tea; and the Pokemon Panic issue - I wonder how many people picked that one up without realising what they were buying. :twisted:

pic-forteantimes180.jpg

fortean_times_875_8.jpg

ttaarraass said:
... the melty "Free Your Mind - Writers, Drugs, and Rock & Roll" one (180), even though the features weren't my cup of 'herbal' tea; ...

pic-forteantimes180.jpg
Such a great 'retro' cover. ;)

Unlikely drbates as there would be a copyright issue - the magazine has paid for the single use of the illustration as a magazine cover, if they were then to want to put out that cover as a poster or print that would count as an additional use and they would have to negotiate another fee from the illustrator. I think a few years ago at the uncon they had some posters of several cover illustrations with just the FT masthead which they used for promotion - which is fair use. But making posters to flog would be taking the piss without additional payment. Personally I'd love to see a whole range of cover posters but can't see it happening (my favourite was Alex Howe and Etienne's photo of the woman with umbrella and fish rain - the colours were fantastic).

I tried putting up a few of my original cover illustrations online for sale as prints and got nowhere with them so doubt there is much of a market - although it could just be that these particular examples were rubbish :)

Alex was kind enough to let me have a copy of the issue 193 cover which is still hanging on the wall in my living room, it looks good and people still comment on it.

Thanks again Alex.

Cheers

Gordon

You mean it's all true? Are we being lied to?? Is FT leading the conspiracy???

Otto_Maddox said:
just seen the front cover for this month's issue on the website homepage. City of symbols. hmm, what's the betting it will relate to a sceptical article asserting that there are no symbols whatsoever in the capital and it's all either coincidence or the ramblings of a paranoid mind. oh, and only a moron would think otherwise. btw who teaches FT contributors to be so wonderfully condescending to their readers? is this part of the house style rules or just mere chance?

Nope, nothing like that at all, just a history lesson. Interesting one, too.

Back