• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Which theory may explain ghosts?

Forests

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Which theory do you believe may explain the phenomena of ghosts, hauntings, apparitions and poltergeists etc?

Has anyone heard of the stone tape theory?

We have amassed nearly fifty packed pages of threads on ghosts, some of which attempt to imagine answers to such questions. The most recent was active last year:

What is a ghost?

The Stone Tape is frequently mentioned in connection to EVP - Electronic Voice Phenomenon - as well as tales of hauntings.

The search facility on the Message Board is quirky but useful. Browsing the old threads is a pleasure for everyone but I especially envy the joy that new readers will derive from their first encounter with them. :)

The search facility on the Message Board is quirky but useful.
Really? Not my experience i'm afraid. In fact it's bloody useless.

A search for Stone Tape produces 104 hits - including a whole thread devoted to the film.

The Search function is far from perfect but not entirely useless. I suspect that nine out of ten of its failures can be attributed to misspellings by the users. It is less forgiving than Google.

And. since the FT board is very well and quickly indexed by Google, threads can often be found quicker by simply adding +forteantimes to a search-string there.

+"Stone Tape" +forteantimes = over 1,500 hits on Google. :!:

I suspect that some of the phenomena called ghosts may be tulpa.

Interestingly, if the concept of tulpas turns out to have a basis in fact they could explain many Fortean happenings.

There will not be 1 explanation for ghosts, each "kind" of ghost will have a different explanation.

A crisis apparition may be spirits, a roman soldier walking through a wall may be a recording , then throw in hoax's , mis-identifications , dust (yes orbs i AM looking at you) and you have an unbelievable complex subjuct with no clear answer.

And everything i said here is almost certainly wrong. :D

It is highly unlikely to find a "unified theory" to explain all paranormal events, since each phenomena has such a mix of effects and conditions. F'rinstance, a ghost seen walking down a corridor of an old ruined castle would probably have a different "cause" to the sighting of an old fashioned double decker bus which disappears as it rounds a corner.

Life isn't so easy as to have one single "cause"; nor does the paranormal.

Back