• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Whitley Strieber's "The Grays"

TVgeek

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I've noticed a lack of discussion about Whitley Strieber's new book "The Grays". I finished it a few days ago and have been digesting it ever since. First off: it is fiction -- from what I've heard, he chose this route because it would be easier to present the far-out (no pun intended) aspects of the aliens and make it palatable to the general public.

Here are some the points I would like to have clarified as to whether they are partially/completely fact or fiction:

The grays are an ancient race, dying because they lack the DNA to replenish that which is decaying within their bodies. Many of their parts (including their brains) have been replaced with machine replacements. This, combined with their lack of sexual reproduction has eliminated desire as a driving force and has given them a distinct lack of emotion. This is a big part of what they want from us – DNA to help them restore the ability to feel joy and wonder.

They need the DNA resources of all 6 billion people on Earth. In return, they will help us avoid destruction in the 65-million year extinction cycle that we are currently entering (we’re supposedly 3 million years into it already.)

Many in the current US government advocate a “thinning of the herd” so to speak. Through the destruction of most people on the planet, the grays will lose interest in us. (Could this be why there is a complete lack of interest in the Kyoto protocol or any environmental protection -- and so much talk of "the Rapture" among those running the US?)

The grays are so ancient, they have forgotten their history.
They are a collective and work in groups of three. They do not function well when separated. They don’t know how to make us less frightened of them, and this is very frustrating to them. (This may account for some of the true “high strangeness” cases that involve costumed figures.)

They can see the slight but rapid movements of our eyes and by matching their moves to our eyes, they can effectively become invisible. This is why the grays usually seek people when they are alone or at night. It is easiest to see them as a flash of motion in our peripheral vision.

Their craft and instruments are anything BUT high tech… they use cast off knives, jars, etc… for their operations. The ships are little more than sticks wrapped with the almost indestructible metal/fabric described from Roswell.

Their antigravity propulsion device is an ore found commonly near iron mines on Earth, but their method of extracting the element is so advanced, we cannot at the moment collect enough to be useful. The ore is kept in tin boxes throughout the ship. By utilizing an engine that propels mercury in a circular motion, their ships are further reduced in weight by 40%. The flying triangles seen around the world are USAF craft that have copied this high-speed mercury-based engine. It is very dangerous if the engine fails -- this is what was witnessed in the Cash-Landrum case. (Which was not mentioned by name.)

Harry S. Truman ordered them to be shot down on sight… but this proved ineffective, so a treaty was proposed. The grays don’t have a clear idea of what a treaty is, but they seem to obey the “no-fly” zones.

They are responsible for cattle (and human) mutilation because the parts that are taken (lips, eyes, genitals, etc…) are areas with rich cell counts and are useful for cloning-type purposes.

Finally, a sub-plot involves triggering rage in people by implanting a ½ inch of wire 3 inches above a person’s right eye (an almost undetectable incision.) When hit with a radio signal, it creates irritation in the person that is expressed as rage and anger. This information came from Nazi scientists who were brought to the US as part of Operation Paperclip at the end of WWII.

What I didn’t find in the book, but wanted to:
Why are the dead so often seen aboard UFO’s by abductees?

An excellent and interesting story, obviously – but does any of this make sense?

I am chalking up the 2012 arrival date of the grays as fictional – but I could be wrong.

Have at it!!! :D
TVgeek

TVgeek said:
Here are some the points I would like to have clarified as to whether they are partially/completely fact or fiction...
None of that has the appearance of substantiated fact, if thats what youre asking.

First of all I should say that I think that *all* Streiber's books on this subject are fiction. Clever fiction, but fiction none-the-less.
However he is good at tying together many of the the disparate, bizarre and unbelievable elements in the Extraterrestrial hypothesis and making a semi-coherent whole from them.

Here it seems he has noticed something that I have pointed out many times; the Greys, if they exist, do not act like an advanced, intelligent, competent race at all. They don't seem to fully understand their own technology, for a start; they act like a bunch of losers who keep crashing their vessels and repeatedly abduct american trailer trash types. In particular they don't know how to turn the lights of on the outside of their ships...

I have suggested on this forum and elsewhere that they are in fact a post-intelligent, decadent race; Streiber is moving in the same direction with his idea of a dying race with'no DNA'. (utterly impossible, of course, for anything more complex than a red blood cell).

Most of the stuff that's mentioned in the post gas already cropped up in dozens of other fiction and 'non-fiction' ufo books and films before (a lot of it cropped up in the X-files and it wasn't even original in there).

The stealing human DNA to preserve their race is the Bud Hopkins line isn't it (or am I confusing my researchers) and there's certainly at least one fairly dreadful TV movie where that's the case.

2012 is the next big scarey date sin the worlrd failed to end in 2000.

The reason there's not more fuss is probably because we've heart it all before.

As for replacing you body parts with machinery to survive, we're talking the Cybermen (cyborgs 'r' us since 1966), or since WS is American the Borg.

The description of the Grey's ships an use of tools seem's more like fairylore than anything else.

I'll probably read this if I see it anywhere, but it doesn't sound like anything new.

The words 'flogging', 'dead' and 'horse', spring to mind.

Actually I might check it out to see if he's plagiarised other people's fiction because he thought it was fact as he did in his novel Majestic (1989) as he didn't realise that An account of a meeting with denizens of another world, 1871 was a joke. Almost as good as Dan Brown at research.

Everyone has seen my point in posting this -- this book seems to
be written for the same audience that watched the Peter Jennings
TV special a few years ago. This may be fantastic and new to them...
but we discuss this everyday and I hoped for just a bit more. Maybe a
true unifying theory... anything!

If a species is that good at genetic manipulation, surely they could
combine DNA proteins into anything they wish. I'm no geneticist, but I
was wondering if I was missing something. Do lips, eyeballs and blood contain cells richer in something than other cells? Again, I didn't think so...

The "locking to the eye" bit just doesn't feel right somehow... although
that being said: Bigfoot legends say it is able to do something similiar.

I didn't immediately equate the fairylore aspect -- thanks for that!

In any case, this will be coming to a theater near you in a year or so...

TVgeek

imho the tissues collected would indicate a examination of toxins
they tend to be more previlent in the soft tissues stated
if they were so secretive they wouldlndt do as they are reported,it seems to want to appear secrative while at the same time almost zealous to lead you down a blind alley
thus no one ever really knows anything and if by chance you do,your nudged astray
i bet mi5 would love to be this efficent

myself i find this whole "grays" story just the latest pixies,elves etc
the true phenonenon seems to be self disguising always eluding but never revealing for what must be half a millenia

id bet in another hundred years they or what will have moved onto the latest,well guise.

I've never taken Whitley Strieber's stuff very seriously at all (even though he does have quite a nice web site collecting fringe news stories). I can't help but feel that over the last 20 years, UFOlogy has been relegated to Little Green Man status again by this kind of stuff.

If Grays exist they'd probably stay away as we think they spend their spare time chopping up our livestock and making spaceships our of jam jars.

I did read the new book and it was pretty good. I read it with an open mind for pure entertainment value. SPOILERS BELOW!!!

It was a basic action packed thriller with this secret organization (government within the government) that had plans to save like 1 million people "only" ON THE PLANET AND THE REST DIE.

They had access to the TR planes (the black triangles) and used them for spying. One of the members that went rogue was an human looking alien that once lived on earth in an earlier civilization..who ended up helping the good guys.

this woman officer was one of the "stars" of the book who could communicate with the grey's (she took her dads place who had died , doing this) she was told once she excepted the job (which she did not know what the job was , she could never leave!! she ended up taken the job and after an accident (a fire) the grey escaped and they (her bosses) put a hit out on her she and a good guy officer ( she ran to at a near by base) ran away and typical close calls etc...

the whole time ,this is going on, the story also deals with the family who lives in a small colege town that teaches "bright kids" one of those kids (theirs) is topped out in the IQ department . The Aliens (greys) want him(to keep their race alive) and the secret government group send out a TR with a hit man in it to kill him (its a race agaist time kinda deal "who can get to the kid first) .

the whole time this is going on running and shooting and so forth...There are three aliens flying around watching all this (and looking for ways to keep the smart kid safe) they are called the "The three theives" and they are pretty cool in the book.

anyway I'm tired of typing .

Ruff

:D

TVgeek said:
They need the DNA resources of all 6 billion people on Earth. In return, they will help us avoid destruction in the 65-million year extinction cycle that we are currently entering (we’re supposedly 3 million years into it already.

Considering that there seem to have been no humans at all on Earth three million years ago, we're apparently doing pretty fair by "extinction."

eburacum said:
First of all I should say that I think that *all* Streiber's books on this subject are fiction.

Strieber was one of my favorite horror story novelists until he went into "space brothers" mode.

But I don't believe that makes his latter work neccessarily "fiction." The man's utter sincerity comes through with every line he writes and indeed from every word when he's interviewed by the electrinc media.

Hundreds of thousands of individuals have reported being "abducted" by "aliens." Regardless of how much or how little these people actually experienced, it's difficult for me to believe that they are all consciously prevaricating.

Isn't it in accord with the law of averages that at least one of this great multitude of "abductees" would be a previously-published novelist?

OldTimeRadio said:
Strieber was one of my favorite horror story novelists until he went into "space brothers" mode.

Ditto, I must admit that at the time I thought he looked quite ill, I have no mental health qualifications or even more than passing experience of such issues.

I don't buy the DNA gathering explanation for the mutilations and have long thought that it is more likely that they were checking up on the progress of toxins through the Terran species, perhaps those pathogens were started on their track by the Greys, who imo behave more like aggressors than friendly visitors, think SAS men in Iran now. Obviously the eye flickering thing doesn't hold water as multiple witness events would have many different rates of flicker and even one person in a bed room at night would have light playing in through the curtain that would throw off all their careful timing.

Everybody has to admitt the dude is $$$ loaded $$$ !!!! he's been making a killing with them :shock: little guys!!

I wonder how the movie will do?? Its in the bag, and he's gonna ge up front $$$ for that also.

he's a real deal when it comes to business!!

Yeah, I think he's carved a lucrative little niche for himself.
Perhaps I should start writing shit like that, rather than writing boring software manuals for a living... :lol:

I thought "Communion" was a great book... It seemed really sincere and believable, and when I finished it i was still unsure whether it was fact or fiction.

However, sometime later I read a later, follow on book by Streiber, called "The Secret School" and I was completely blown away by the nonsensical, outlandish and ridiculous events that occured in its narrative... Apparently Streiber, as a boy, would go off into the woods at night and meet up with other kids and be taught by aliens (or something), as well as side stories such as time travel...

It competely disappointed me, and I have lost faith in anything he has produced since Communion, although Communion does still hold a place as a really good book...

to me at least!! ;)

hell yeah!! or invent something to put them desposable razors, that clutter up our sinks !!.......ummmm...I'll be right back :shock:

TVgeek said:
The grays don’t have a clear idea of what a treaty is, but they seem to obey the “no-fly” zones.

Unless the aliens are so vastly different from us that no form of communication is possible anyway, what's the likelihood that an advanced, space-travelling civilization wouldn't have at least the concept of "treaty"?

OldTimeRadio said:
I'm sorry, at which time?

The cross over period from horror to alien abduction, I hazard a guess that you might find some video of interviews from the period on the net.

I've mentioned this before, but a guy I know did an interview
with Strieber on videotape. Part way through the 30 minutes or so,
Strieber's implant "went off" causing his ear and the skin around it
to become extremely red. Strieber was so distracted by this that the rest of
the interview pretty much fell apart... he became a bit irritable, IIRC.

I may have a VHS copy of this somewhere... hmm...
TVgeek

Back