• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Who Is Bob?

fudgetusk

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Freddy Krueger is played by Robert Englund, in Halloween Myers kills Bob and pretends to be him -his girlfriend refers to him as Bob twice. In Halloween two we see Myers picking up a knife as two old folk watch the news. We get a shot of Myers as on the Tv a guy is saying "This Is Robert Mundy, live." In Candyman 2 his name is Daniel Robitaille. In Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 Leatherface is called Bubba. Apparently fans thought this meant Bobby. In the same film his partner in crime, played by Bill Moseley, is Robert Sawyer. In a later CHAINSAW film leatherface was played by Robert Jacks.

Robert Dzar played MANIAC COP. In DAY OF THE DEAD we have Bub, the gun toting zombie. Eddie Quist, serial killer and werewolf in THE HOWLING was played by Robert Picardo. In DARK NIGHT OF THE SCARECROW we have Bubba as the murderous scarecrow. In TERMINATOR 2 Arnie is dubbed Uncle Bob. His mercurial enemy was played by Robert Patrick.
This one is a stretch. In Friday The 13th the numbers 13 look like the letter B. The guy who most played Jason was Kane Hodder. Hod is like Hood as in Robin Hood, another forest dwelling villain. Apparently the early Robin Hood was not the jolly character we see in modern films but much darker. For instance he kills Sir Guy Of Gisborn and sticks his severed head on the end of his bow.

In the book IT Pennywise is referred to as Robert Grey. In DREAMCATCHER there is a malicious alien entity known as Mr Grey. In Devil's Rejects Captain Spaulding is called Booby by his girlfriend. We have Bob in TWIN PEAKS. David Lynch has a thing about the name Bob. There are three Bobs in WILD AT HEART, all who die due to head injuries -including main villain Bobby Peru. Lynch also produced a series of dark paintings about a guy called Bob, who he says is not the same Bob as in Twin Peaks. His band is called Bluebob. The gangster in LOST HIGHWAY is played by Robert Loggia and the strange white faced devil figure in the same film is played by Robert Blake.

Stephen King had a nightmare about a hanging man. He had a sign around his neck with the words "Robert Burns" on it. This inspired his character Hubie Marsten in Salem's Lot, a gangster and child killer who hangs himself.
We have Robin Goodfellow, an elf who lures people into forests to their doom. Hob as in Hobgoblin is a variation of the name Rob.
In Doctor Who we have The Master played by Roger Delgado. Except his real surname was Roberto. We also have The Master being played by Eric Roberts in a Doctor Who film.

There's an 80's SCIFI horror series called Sapphire and Steel about two otherworldy agents who protect the world from entities outside of time. One of these villains was called Shape. He enters our world through a photo and he has the power to enter any photo and bring out people from photos. He is also able to trap people in photos and if he burns the photos they die.He is played by Robert Hornery. He looks a lot like Freddy without the burns. The character reminds me a lot of Freddy Krueger.

shapeburn_by_albatrash-d5r12p2.jpg

The Hulk's middle name is Robert. This came about because of an error. Bruce Banner appeared in a Fantastic Four comic and the torch called him Bob. Nobody knows why. They had to keep it since.

Who is always trying to kill Bart Simpson? Sideshow Bob.

In Star Wars we have Boba Fett. In the original version of the script the main villain was a rogue bounty hunter. Lucas changed it and created Darth Vader instead. The bounty hunter became Boba Fett.
In Manhunter/Red Dragon, Dr Lecter masquerades as a guy called Bob Greer to get the home address of Will Graham.
According to a book I read witches would conjure the devil by calling his name: Robin.
I also read that one of the oldest words for a demon is Robet. I think it is was Hebrew. From this we get Rabisu, a crouching demon. There is a dragon called Rahab in the bible. When Jesus was about to be crucified Pontius Pilot offered the crowd watching to free him or Barabbas. A killer and thief. They chose Barabbas. His first name also happened to be Jesus.

The number of the beast is 666. The number of his name. Or is it bbb as in bobby?
In Dune we have the evil Beast Rabann.

The Exorcist was based on a true story about a boy. One account says his name was Robert. Then we have films like Babadook and Robert(about a cursed doll)based on a real cursed doll called Robert. Then there is Robur Conqueror of the world, a book by Jules Verne about a man attacking the world from a paper airship(of all things). In The Wickerman Lord Summerisle's right hand man is Oak. The latin name for Oak is Robur. Oak dresses up as the hobby horse. Hob = Rob.

In The Omen Damian's father was Robert Thorn.

In Hitchcock's film FRENZY we have the serial killer Bob Rusk. Psycho was written by Robert Bloch.
In ODD THOMAS we have the satanist and would be killer Robert Robertson who comes back from the dead as a powerful poltergeist.
One of the most famous serial killers was Ted Bundy. His middle name was Robert.

In The Matrix films we have Agent Smith. His next in command was Bob Jones.

Robert Louis Stephenson wrote Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde. This book about a villainous doctor came out a few years before the Jack The Ripper murders. Some believe he was a doctor. A likely candidate is man called Rosslyn D'Nston. His real name was Robert Stephenson. He was a part time doctor and into magic. He was the first to suggest that the ripper was a magician taking body parts for use in magic rituals and that the sites of the killings formed a magical pattern. He was in the location of the deaths at the time and was questioned three times. The killings happened in 1888. The number 8 looks like the letter B. BBB. BoBBy.
Who was the main man behind the invention of the atom BOmB? Robert Oppenheimer. After doing so he referred to himself as Shiva, destroyer of worlds.

The we have the B(l)ob. Isn't there a blob monster called Bob in a recent ainimation film?

There's a Brit tv show called UTOPIA about a shadowy branch of the government who want to sterilise us to prevent over population. They use an assassin called Arbie to kill anyone who gets in their way. The name Arbie began as RB(Rob?) standing for 'raisin boy' because of his fondness for chocolate covered raisins. Arbie turns against his masters and ends up killing some of them. Arbie is played by Neil Maskell. Maskell was in a gory film called KILL LIST in which he is employed as an assassin for a shadowy powerful group like in UTOPIA. He turns against them and ends up killing them. During the film Maskell's wife drives off in a car. The license plate of the car is AROBERT.

arobert_by_albatrash-d5woiqp.jpg

I've pointed out the Latin word Robur. It means strength. In freemasonry their temples always have two pillars. They are named Boaz and Jachin. Boaz means 'in strength'.
Then we have the film QUATERMASS AND THE PIT. Which is set on Hobb's Lane. The site of much paranormal activity. One character points out that the spelling has been changed from Hob. And they also point out that Hob is an old name for the devil. Hob is a familiarisation of Rob.
Yesterday I watched an old scifi film called THEY CAME FROM BEYOND SPACE. Alien meteorites land on ROBERTS farm. Mind controlling aliens take over the farm.

There are more but I've forgotten them. I'm not including SpongeBob Squarepants, before you ask. No matter how horrible he is.
I know Robert is a common name, but so is Andrew or Patrick. Why are there no coincidences with these names?
I think Robert is the name of the devil. It means Shining Fame. An apt name for a fallen angel. In a lot of these examples Bob is the right hand man of evil or a tool of evil. Maybe this is more accurate.

I know Robert is a common name, but so is Andrew or Patrick. Why are there no coincidences with these names?
There probably are, if you care to look. I think a lot of these coincidences are quite a stretch.

I think Robert is the name of the devil. It means Shining Fame. An apt name for a fallen angel. In a lot of these examples Bob is the right hand man of evil or a tool of evil. Maybe this is more accurate.
'Robin' is certainly a name associated with fairies, as in 'Robin Goodfellow' and possibly 'Robin Hood'. 'Hob' can also refer to hobgoblins. There's an association between fairies and devil which may largely be a christian gloss over folk-beliefs they found frightening. Remember that the devil is also called 'Old Nick' among many other names.

Maybe related - JR "Bob" Dobbs of the Church of the Subgenius

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._R._"Bob"_Dobbs

http://www.subgenius.com/
J. R. "BOB" DOBBS has ENTERED THIS WORLD... and he is GAINING IN SLACK & POWER EVERY DAY! We now have our own new ROKU SubGenius TV channel! Hour of Slack Radio is streamed new every week. A NEW SALE DAWNS in both of our CATALOGS. The SubGenius music CDs are now downloadable! THE BOOK OF THE SUBGENIUS is here! SubGenius events are happening all over the world this year. X-DAY is held at an exotic site (in darkest Ohio!) every July. The exciting new do-it-yourself virus we invented for the SubGenius Art Mines is spreading throughout our website, sometimes spilling over even into the so-called "reality" that we SubGenii are forced to share with the humans. The vigorous health of this virus is the result of its careful design by an ever-growing team of SubGenius coders -- Slack-filled young men and women of Yeti descent who are spread, SEEMINGLY randomly, throughout the breakthinking world... but are bent on breaching all Earthly human political and cultural barriers with the searing nonhuman truth of the Word of "Bob": J.R. "Bob" Dobbs, that LIVING GOD WHO WALKS THIS PLANET EARTH IN HUCKSTER'S SHOES.

Or is it all just bobbins, as the late, great Frank Sidebottom* would have it?

* I tried on his head once - it smelt of beer and fags! True story, I was on a TV programme with Chris Sievey and I asked to try it on in the green room. I was appearing as a 'talking head' expert on cult tv!! At the time I worked for a magazine called... Cult TV.

Whatever the secrets of the name might be, I'll leave to the clever people to sort out, but I have noted, for years now, that I've never had a friend named Robert. The Roberts I have met, we never seem get along. Sometimes we flat-out hate each other. :dunno: Jeez, I bumped into Robert Plant once and even he gave me a dirty look!

On the other hand, my teen son, who is one of those super social types who always knows the next big thing, has been using the name Bob in various ways for years. He'd name his toys Bob, his pets, even his email name is Bob. He attributes this to loving the film "What About Bob" as a small child (which he certainly did). But given his nature, it wouldn't surprise me if there was something out in the ether. Perhaps we are entering a new, friendlier age of Bob.

Not joining in just for the sake of it but I struggle to remember anyone I haven't like called Bob, a Robert I went to school with was always dead easy to get along with .. one Bob in particular (London Bob) is still helping me 'surf' through life with massive insider information after over a decade, no idea why he's adopted me, he just has .. and another Cromer Bob has provided me with many a joke that I've typed up on this very site that I've stolen the credit for that's got some laughs out of some of you ..

Salute to the Bobs of this world ! (unless Skargys ex was somehow called Bob because he was a bit of a twat apparently .. other than that, we're all good .. and I struggle to find a shit Dave on top of that)

Not joining in just for the sake of it but I struggle to remember anyone I haven't like called Bob, a Robert I went to school with was always dead easy to get along with .. one Bob in particular (London Bob) is still helping me 'surf' through life with massive insider information after over a decade, no idea why he's adopted me, he just has .. and another Cromer Bob has provided me with many a joke that I've typed up on this very site that I've stolen the credit for that's got some laughs out of some of you ..

Salute to the Bobs of this world ! (unless Skargys ex was somehow called Bob because he was a bit of a twat apparently .. other than that, we're all good .. and I struggle to find a shit Dave on top of that)

At uni I had three friends called John. So one inevitably became Big John, one Little John but oddly, the medium sized one was never Medium John - just 'John'.

As for Bobs... I do a lot of genealogy, and there is a certain database where you can randomly search laterally for putative people who may or may not have existed. Handy if you are trying to locate a large Victorian family of siblings. Long since I realised the trick is to take your surname and search for John, William, George, Henry - and right there in the second rank (younger siblings) list of predictable names is Robert. If the family is large with a lot of sons, you will usually eventually get a Robert. Weird but just something I figured out, when searching for mid 19thC folk.

Strangely, without even mentioning this random conversation to the Mrs, she's just shown me an old Bob Flemming sketch from the fast show .. because we've got a handyman's van parked outside our house and the name on the side is John Flemming (she's working up the courage to take a photo of it) ..

proof ..

John Flemming.jpg

Last edited:
I read this thread, yesterday, thinking, "Huh, I don't think Bob's that important or ubiquitous" and yet, today, I saw an advert for a milk called Bob!

(Really, it's some special kind of skimmed milk, apparently; in a pleasing synchronicity I saw the advert on the Dave TV channel.)

According to this tweet from the QI research team: "For 500 years from the 13th century, 70% of Englishmen were called Robert, John, Thomas, Richard or William." Alas, they do not expand upon the relative frequency.
The Mrs has just gone *hee hee* "John Thomas !!" ... I'm not sure if that helps, I just thought I should share her purile moment with you :)

Just remembered, son won a couple of goldfish at a fair when he was a kid (not taken by me - I'd have disapproved). He just called them Bob and Second Bob. And when they died, the next one was Bob.

Bob the fox terrier who was the unwitting inspiration for a murder in Agatha Christie's 'Dumb Witness'
Dumb_Witness_First_Edition_Cover_1937.jpg

Then another, real-life bad Bob - Robert Durst, suspected serial killer and all-round rotter.

I've found that almost all the "Richards" I have yet known have been either unlikeable, nasty, weird-in-a-bad way or dangerous. Most "Bobs" have been lovely.

Back