• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Why Do UFOs Spin?

It makes them seem all quantum and stuff. Like you know, high energy physics.

Anything is possible and this idea or one very much like it has been proposed by Dr Vallee many years ago.
I assume you are familiar with his books?

It has been a while since I have read any of Vallee's writings at length. His views certainly fit the conflicting spectrum of evidence better than most. Frankly though, there are times when I feel a good old nuts-n-bolts solution would be a lot less disconcerting than the alternatives. How could we possible hope to contend with something the nature of which we may incapable of understanding?

It has been a while since I have read any of Vallee's writings at length. His views certainly fit the conflicting spectrum of evidence better than most. Frankly though, there are times when I feel a good old nuts-n-bolts solution would be a lot less disconcerting than the alternatives. How could we possible hope to contend with something the nature of which we may incapable of understanding?

In the appendix to his book Revelations he gives his reasons why he thinks this is not a normal visitation by aliens ala the ETH. I believe they make sense but one can always come up with counter arguments.
https://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/ciencia_flyingobjects116.htm
Five specific arguments articulated here contradict the ETH:

1. unexplained close encounters are far more numerous than required for any physical survey of the earth

2. the humanoid body structure of the alleged "aliens" is not likely to have originated on another planet and is not biologically adapted to space travel

3. the reported behavior in thousands of abduction reports contradicts the hypothesis of genetic or scientific experimentation on humans by an advanced race

4. the extension of the phenomenon throughout recorded human history demonstrates that UFOs are not a contemporary phenomenon

5. the apparent ability of UFOs to manipulate space and time suggests radically different and richer alternatives, three of which are pro- in outline form as a conclusion to this paper.

The thing that bothers me, Doc, is that there doesn't seem to be any discernible logic or pattern to the UFO evidence. It appears random, purposeless, and in many cases, highly subjective. I recall a sighting from a CUFOS journal in which the witness stated that the UFO he saw flew a circle around the moon. Of course, in order to appreciate this maneuver, the observer had to be in a very specific location - implying that the UFO performed this stunt specifically for the benefit of that person. To me, that indicates the object wasn't part of objective reality - it was a display of some type put on for the witness. But for what purpose? If the phenomenon is trying to convey some message to us, they're doing a lousy job of it.

Dr Vallee addresses this in several of his books and even referred to 'them' as 'Messengers of Deception' at one point....though I'm not sure how strongly he means that.
He proposed (as a general idea) a 'control system' theory early on in his books , where the 'intelligence' involved was manipulating mankind's ideas and cultural memes for an unknown agenda, and doing this over a very long time....centuries even. It certainly is a lot to accept and he's well aware of that. He talks at length about various aspects of this idea and what it might mean. The consciousness aspects are very intriguing but hard to understand on many levels.

Last edited:
I recall a sighting from a CUFOS journal in which the witness stated that the UFO he saw flew a circle around the moon. Of course, in order to appreciate this maneuver, the observer had to be in a very specific location - implying that the UFO performed this stunt specifically for the benefit of that person. To me, that indicates the object wasn't part of objective reality - it was a display of some type put on for the witness. But for what purpose? If the phenomenon is trying to convey some message to us, they're doing a lousy job of it.
I've got a bit of a theory that might explain this sighting, at least partially. There is a strange illusion that occurs around a source of light at night, that creates a sort of circular pattern of illumination. This occurs because the light source preferentially illuminates objects that are aligned with it.
You can see it most clearly when a streetlight illuminates the branches of a tree in winter, from behind, as shown here
16667250935_7dc5b0dda1_z_d.jpg

If this witness was observing a number of randomly moving, non-luminous flying objects that were illuminated by the Moon, such as moths or bats, then it is possible that he or she could only see the ones near the Moon, giving the impression that they were circling the light source. This circling might even have been misinterpreted as a single, circling object.
Observer bias.

Certainly a good theory. But there are a number of other cases in which the witness describes huge flying objects in areas where it is virtually impossible that they would have been the only observer. Assuming the person wasn't delusional, it would seem that they have been exposed to a very subjective, personal phenomenon. Dare I say, it is almost religious in nature.

^Religious in nature indeed....in the past many of these sightings were certainly looked upon by our ancestors as 'religious events.' And several ufologists including Vallee have pointed out some the various cases and how many ufo events seem to have religious meaning or aspects for witnesses.

Back