• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Why 'Grey'?

BaronVonHoopla

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Does anyone know why the classic alien is referred to as a 'Grey' when they seem to mostly be depicted as a sort of creamy beige colour?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I searched and couldn't find anything.

-Fitz

Maybe it's to do with dreaming, a lot of people say they only dream in black and white, it could explain the whole phenomena.

There are two different types of skinny hairless freaky aliens Greys and Tans

Perhaps 'Beiges' doesn't sound so scarey. :confused:

I'm sure there was a decidedly non-Fortean thread discussing how satisfying it'd be to stand on a grey's feet and use his big round head like a punch-bag,

:D

Maybe they have a choice of wearing grey or tan bodysuits. Both colors are easy to accessorize, clean up more easily than white but aren't as stand-offish as black.

They originated in the days of B&W TV, and so they couldn't be green/beige/whatever....

Hm, M&S seem to be in freefall at the moment, perhaps they should appeal to a more galactic audience.

What i would like to know is where that classic alien look originally came from with the slanted eyes in Pete Younger's picture link and countless others.

And what is the original source and meaning of the word "schwa" and how does it relate to UFOs etc?

Rrose Selavy said:
And what is the original source and meaning of the word "schwa" and how does it relate to UFOs etc?

It's got the same etymological root as slemen.

;)

The first grays were reported by Betty and Barney Hill - specifically, as I recall, by Barney (who had seen "The Galaxy Being" on The Outer Limits not long before and described the grays under hypnosis - not that that's really relevant of course). Prior to the Hills' abduction, green was the favored color for aliens, and this color scheme remained so for several years, but grays took over as abductions became more and more common. Betty Andreasson's aliens were shaped like the Hills', but were blue.

In this regard it is perhaps not irrelevant that most alien abductions take place in the dark. Like cats, all aliens may be gray in the dark.

I can't help noting here that gradations in color are often not reported precisely, or seen in the same way. When I slather myself in gray makeup to play a rock gnome in my LARP, people who haven't seen me play the character before routinely describe me as blue.

Oh, and schwa - I have never understood what this had to do with aliens, but I at least know what it is. It's a phonetic symbol, in appearance like an upside-down lower case e, which represents the vowel sound figuring in words such as the, yup, cut, etc. According to my dictionary it represents slightly different sounds in different symbol systems, but when my first grade teacher, Mrs. Teale, taught us to read using phonics she used the schwa and various diacritical marks to help us sort out the different sounds that could be represented by vowels.

"It's a satire of postmodern life and advertising ... an experiment in cultural design," says Bill Barker, Schwa's chief executive and founder. "I think for me, the alien is a symbol of our future - a mirror looking into what we're becoming - technological, maybe."

Barker originally conceived of Schwa in 1992 as system of iconography to get across his creative and political messages.

"I was looking for ways to express my ideas in art with one style," he says. "So I took an alien as a symbol for outside or foreign ideas, things that are hard to express or name or understand."

Schwa products are filled with ominous images of lemminglike stick figures and low buildings resembling mazes under a blackened sky filled with alien saucers. Using simple black-and-white line drawings and occasional slogans like "Alien exists," "Stay awake," and "Stop domesticating yourself," Barker's minimalist world envisions a future controlled by corporations, alien abductions, and paralyzing propaganda.

But what began as a small mail-order business hawking Schwa, the book, alien-head stickers, posters, and "Alien Defense Kits," soon turned into a mini-phenomenon. One of the earliest companies to promote alien iconography, in no time Schwa sold tens of thousands of products. The Schwa site was launched in 1995, and a book deal with Chronicle Books resulted in Schwa World Operations Manual, released last November. WorldPlay is also bringing out a second Schwa game, Conspiracy.

With Pyramid's appearance on America Online, Schwa has found its first truly mainstream distribution outlet. After an introduction from WorldPlay, Orbital Studios's Karl Buiter developed the game with Barker, and calls it a "new paradigm in gaming."

The game looks like you've stepped into a Schwa book, complete with blackened skies and strange symbols, and the game play is best described as the children's game of King of the Hill meets Diplomacy, the venerable world-power strategy game. As a player, you become one of Schwa's stick people, battling your way up a pyramid in hopes of being the first to the top. To make it there, you must collect tokens of mass media, government, corporation, and labor - icons that represent the most potent forces of the Schwa world; you also must conspire with - and occasionally betray - your fellow stick people.

"Things aren't really quite what they seem," says Mike Fake, president of Orbital Studios. "What you think is, is not; what you think is not, is."

Thanks to the aliens-might-be-among-us buzz that drives Fox TV's The X-Files and movies like Independence Day and Men in Black - not to mention mainstream news coverage of last year's 50th anniversary of whatever it was that happened in Roswell, New Mexico - Schwa has gone from being a fringe idea to just one voice in the wash of pop culture aliens. Still, Barker plans to use his position on very corporate AOL to continue pushing his anti-corporate message.

"They're using my slogans on the game, so the meme spreads on its own," says Barker. "I'm not a Gandhi of anti-advertising, more of a Shining Path. Let's use its weapons against itself."

Schwa Pyramid will be available only on AOL's WorldPlay, costing
"It's a satire of postmodern life and advertising ... an experiment in cultural design," says Bill Barker, Schwa's chief executive and founder. "I think for me, the alien is a symbol of our future - a mirror looking into what we're becoming - technological, maybe."

Barker originally conceived of Schwa in 1992 as system of iconography to get across his creative and political messages.

"I was looking for ways to express my ideas in art with one style," he says. "So I took an alien as a symbol for outside or foreign ideas, things that are hard to express or name or understand."

Schwa products are filled with ominous images of lemminglike stick figures and low buildings resembling mazes under a blackened sky filled with alien saucers. Using simple black-and-white line drawings and occasional slogans like "Alien exists," "Stay awake," and "Stop domesticating yourself," Barker's minimalist world envisions a future controlled by corporations, alien abductions, and paralyzing propaganda.

But what began as a small mail-order business hawking Schwa, the book, alien-head stickers, posters, and "Alien Defense Kits," soon turned into a mini-phenomenon. One of the earliest companies to promote alien iconography, in no time Schwa sold tens of thousands of products. The Schwa site was launched in 1995, and a book deal with Chronicle Books resulted in Schwa World Operations Manual, released last November. WorldPlay is also bringing out a second Schwa game, Conspiracy.

With Pyramid's appearance on America Online, Schwa has found its first truly mainstream distribution outlet. After an introduction from WorldPlay, Orbital Studios's Karl Buiter developed the game with Barker, and calls it a "new paradigm in gaming."

The game looks like you've stepped into a Schwa book, complete with blackened skies and strange symbols, and the game play is best described as the children's game of King of the Hill meets Diplomacy, the venerable world-power strategy game. As a player, you become one of Schwa's stick people, battling your way up a pyramid in hopes of being the first to the top. To make it there, you must collect tokens of mass media, government, corporation, and labor - icons that represent the most potent forces of the Schwa world; you also must conspire with - and occasionally betray - your fellow stick people.

"Things aren't really quite what they seem," says Mike Fake, president of Orbital Studios. "What you think is, is not; what you think is not, is."

Thanks to the aliens-might-be-among-us buzz that drives Fox TV's The X-Files and movies like Independence Day and Men in Black - not to mention mainstream news coverage of last year's 50th anniversary of whatever it was that happened in Roswell, New Mexico - Schwa has gone from being a fringe idea to just one voice in the wash of pop culture aliens. Still, Barker plans to use his position on very corporate AOL to continue pushing his anti-corporate message.

"They're using my slogans on the game, so the meme spreads on its own," says Barker. "I'm not a Gandhi of anti-advertising, more of a Shining Path. Let's use its weapons against itself."

Schwa Pyramid will be available only on AOL's WorldPlay, costing $1.99 per hour to play after an initial free test period.

"Unlike life," laughs Barker, "it's a game you can win."

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,10465,00.html
.99 per hour to play after an initial free test period.

"Unlike life," laughs Barker, "it's a game you can win."

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,10465,00.html

Why indeed.

Grey goes with anything really.

Stark white light & Grey
Silver and Grey

Lovely utilitarian color...
:)

well the "sandman" who came to visit me in my childhood was tan, and so were his fat friends who were in the living room. Maybe they weren't his friends as such, it's hard to tell when they all dress the same. Of course the colour du jour is greige, which is beige and grey combined in one bland shade...

edited for speeling

*Puts tin foil hat on*

Maybe it's because they evolved from the dolphins. Our dna got all mixed up and mutated and we became big hairy apes. The Greys stayed all shiny.

*Takes tin foil hat off*
:hah:

LobeliaOverhill said:
well the "sandman" who came to visit me in my childhood was tan, and so were his fat friends who were in the living room.
I mistook a tan coat that was hanging on a doorknob for one.... it's a long strange story. :spinning

I had seen a common type of UFO a few weeks before and everything went all John Keel for awhile.

<pulls up a chair and sits down>

Go on then Tulip, do tell ...

LobeliaOverhill said:
Of course the colour du jour is greige, which is beige and grey combined in one bland shade...
Greige. I like it.:)

Interesting...
I have no idea how THAT got there?
I'm confused.:confused:

LobeliaOverhill said:
<pulls up a chair and sits down>

Go on then Tulip, do tell ...
Bring your chair over the Alien Abduction Theory and Stories thread, Lobelia, and I'll give you my account.

"*Puts tin foil hat on*"

HAHAHAHA lol :D

Unless you wern't kidding, in which case I apologize.

Well I always thought of them as looking more white than anything, but we can't really call them "Whites," now can we?

Back